Finished the First Campaign

By Vince79, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

I finally finished the first campaign tonight. It ended in rather disappointing fashion, Legolas was killed by the troll, so I never even got to face Atarin in this last game (although I've faced him before). In hindsight, I should have held Legolas back because his prepared cards were seriously depleted and he didn't have any inspiration left. I didn't want to waste half of his turn though. He failed his Last Stand test by one. At least Aragorn got vengeance and finished the troll off. Would have liked to have won, but oh well.

My campaign had 12 games in it and I was 4-8 in them. I really enjoyed this game and highly recommend it to anyone interested in Tolkien gaming. I'd like to take another stab at it, but the thought of starting the campaign over sounds a little overwhelming. It took me months to finish because I only had time for about one game a week. I'll probably start the new Ember Crown campaign instead. Hope I don't have any trouble with it, what with the recent Windows updates.

I liked playing with Aragorn and Legolas. Do you think I should try a different pair or are some characters only really good for a large group where they can fulfill a specific role? What are two good characters to play for solo play?

Edited by Vince79

Aragorn and Legolas are great, but I would probably go with Beravor and Legolas. The only one I do not recommend for solo play is Elena. Almost every other character is better unless you have a high player count, when she’s arguably the best.

12 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

Aragorn and Legolas are great, but I would probably go with Beravor and Legolas. The only one I do not recommend for solo play is Elena. Almost every other character is better unless you have a high player count, when she’s arguably the best.

What is the advantage with Beravor? The nice thing about Aragorn is getting to scout 3 routinely. Legolas is a frigging beast though, at least in the hunter role. Do you recommend playing around with roles during a campaign? I just stuck with the recommended role, but maybe that was a mistake.

There was one odd situation. The app placed the troll outside the map when he first showed up. Then the app wanted to move toward the closest hero to attack. I wasn't sure what to do since the troll was off the map entirely. So I just counted the outside border as one space and moved him in. Was that the right thing to do or not? I couldn't find anything in the rules about it. Maybe it was a bug?

Beravor is just ridiculously good as a Pathfinder (So is Legolas, though. If I make him Pathfinder, Beravor is usually a Burglar.). Between each of their special character abilities, movement will be a breeze.

That Troll incident was certainly a bug.

I've started playing Hunt for the Ember Crown with Gimli and Legolas. Legolas keeps the Hunter role always, and Gimli flips back and forth between Pathfinder (Journey maps) and Guardian (Battleground maps). So far, I've handily won the first 5 scenarios and have managed to wrack up decent Lore and some nice trinkets on top of that. Also, both just earned the Elf-friend and Dwarf-friend titles, respectively, which is just awesome! I picked this lineup for theme, but it's proving quite potent.

6 hours ago, Wandalf the Gizzard said:

That Troll incident was certainly a bug.

At the time it almost made sense that it was intentional. There was a big battle going on, and the troll pops up out in the dark area. Kind of like "Oh look, there's a troll out there, he's far off now, but he'll be coming". But I imagine you're right, it's probably a bug. There were also some errors in the way the app was fitting the puzzle pieces together, but it didn't make any real difference to the game - spacing was the same, as were the cave entrances.

Legolas as a hunter is such a killing machine. I'll probably try Beravor and Legolas for the next campaign, what have I got to lose? I will miss being able to scout 3 though, that really helps buff Legolas up.

With the way I play (which will vary from other people), my Pathfinder sprints to the far end of the map ASAP, while my combat focused character stays put. The heroes slowly chew through search tokens before they reunite mid-map and move on to the main objective. Because of this, my heroes are often nowhere near enough to take advantage of abilities like Aragorn’s or Elena’s.