What to buy first?

By MedicFett, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Hello i am a new player and i recently moved and i have a group of guys that want to play on a regular basic. We have nothing. Looking for advice on where to start? Of course i need the main game but what next do i get characters or other expansions? looking for some insight?

thank you for your input ahead of time and if this has been created before i am sorry to be honest i did not spend much time looking for a similar thread lol

Medic Fett

Get the core box first to see if you like the game, whichever mode or modes you are intending to play (1vs4 campaign, skirmish, co-op/solo app campaign).

If you want to make sure you get them before they become hard to get, then the boxed expansions, starting with the big boxes.

If you prefer more content, then the reinforcement waves that you didn't get tokens for in the boxes (+ Captain Terro for Dewback Rider).

Ater Jabba said:

After Jabba's Realm and The Return to Hoth:

1. Heart of the Empire and the small-box expansions ( Twin Shadows , The Bespin Gambit , and Tyrants of Lothal .
2. The reinforcement waves that are not associated with any boxed expansion: Hired Guns (and Bantha), Jawa Scavenger, Greedo, Inquisitor, Obi-Wan, BT1 & 0-0-0, Hera & Chopper.
3. Captain Terro comes with Dewback Rider and ISB Infiltrators do not come as tokens in the Bespin Gambit.

If you want figures to replace tokens, then get the figure expansions you can find at reasonable prices.

Edited by a1bert

Also think about how you want to theme your game experience too...for example, I decided I wanted to go classic only, so I picked up the core box and expansions and figure packs that relate to the classic episodes (Ep IV, V, VI - star wars, empire, jedi) only and have ignored everything else.

Totally each to their own but this gives me that consistent classic experience (with the addition of the newly created characters for the game of course if you play campaign style). Either way, welcome!! It's great fun.

Core, then Jabba's Realm. I have yet to play Heart of the Empire though... That's next on my list. Hoth was quite fun too and has a really good app campaign too.

For the app you can use Core, JR and Hoth so far... I hope there will be a HotE app expansion soon too...

9 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

For the app you can use Core, JR and Hoth so far... I hope there will be a HotE app expansion soon too...

Just to clarify this point: just about anything you can buy will add something to the app (the exceptions being skirmish maps and possibly figure packs associated with a box you already own). Core, Jabba, and Hoth have campaigns available in the app.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

Sure, I just meant there are app campaign missions for each of the Core, JR and Hoth so far. Having other boxes and blister packs can add random villains to fight and items to buy etc. Good point.

Dont buy anything the game is being canceled

I was going to just play skirmish, but now I think I will concentrate on the campaign. I know it’s not producing any more miniatures but I think I will definitely get Jabba’s Realm. I was going to grab HotE next, but if I do get more, will pick up Hoth after JR as it’s on the App. I think I will not bother with blisters anymore, (subject to change lol).

4 hours ago, Darth evil said:

Dont buy anything the game is being canceled

Alternatively, buy everything you can before they stop reprinting. Game being "canceled" (if you call not creating new physical content canceled) does not mean you can't play it anymore.

Edited by Eddie

Yeah if you are buying this game to get into the competitive, organized play skirmish than now is a terrible time to get into it. If you are buying it for literally any other reason (standard campaigns, app campaigns, skirmish with friends, painting cool minis, etc.) then now is a great time to get the game, when it's more likely to be on clearance racks but not yet sold out.

Personally I'm a bit salty about how FFG has handled things since I love the Organized Play that they do, but for all of the other game mode there is tonnes of great content out there. Just because they're not printing more doesn't mean what you have is broken or something - it's still fun to play.

On 9/2/2019 at 2:36 AM, Herr Style said:

I was going to just play skirmish, but now I think I will concentrate on the campaign. I know it’s not producing any more miniatures but I think I will definitely get Jabba’s Realm. I was going to grab HotE next, but if I do get more, will pick up Hoth after JR as it’s on the App. I think I will not bother with blisters anymore, (subject to change lol).

A few of the blisters are awesome. The ISB Infiltrators, the Jawa Scavenger, and the Hired Guns are worth getting since they can be used in campaign without meeting any criteria. Obi-wan, Greedo, and the Grand Inquisitor are a nice second tier since they come with campaign items that the heroes can purchase.

Edited by Uninvited Guest

Sorry for not mentioning, but I did get Han, Chewy, Jawa, Hired Guns and IG-88 back in May.

I was intending to make Agent Blaise next on the shopping list (and I still might!), but Jabba’s Realm will be probably be the next purchase, and then Hoth or if it comes out on the App HotE.

Maybe then Capt Terro or Bantha lol.

As others have said, it depends on how you intend to play the game. You should get the core box first and see if you like the game before getting anything else like A1bert has already said. You preferences in Star Wars content will come into it too, if you are just interested in stuff from the classic movies then Tyrents of Lothal or Heart of the Empire might not be the best choices for example.

For the campaigns that come with the boxes I'd recommend following this order: Jabba's Realm, Heart of the Empire, Tyrants of Lothal, Hoth, Bespin Gambit and Twin Shadows. In my opinion Jabba's Realm is the best campaign. Heart of the Empire is very good too (it is also a bit shorter than the other bix box campaigns being 8 missions as opposed to 11). Tyrants of Lothal is quite flexible as it can be a 4 or 7 mission campaign depending on if you get the two villian and one of the associated blister packs, as these come with a mission each. The missions are If you are a big fan of the Rebles cartoon, you might even want to get ToL second, as this campaign is closely tied to it. Hoth isn't bad, but its structure sort of means that you have to play through the same side missions each time or the rebels will be at a bit of a disadvantage hurting its replay value. Dengar and General Sorin are also not the most interesting villains mechanics wise or thematically in my opinion. Bespin Gambit is a good short campaign in an iconic setting, but the wing guards and ugnaughts don't really fit into other campaigns very well. Twin Shadows has a lot of overlap with Jabba's Realm. It is required to acquire Boba Fett, R2D2 and C3P0 (unless you substitute them as a reward for another loyalty mission, e.g. win IG-88 mission and get Fett instead if you just want him but not the box).

With the blister packs in relation to the campaign, the ones tied to the core and Twin Shadows sets (Han, Chewbacca, The Royal Guard Champion, General Weiss, Kyrn Somos, Boba Fett and IG-88) are over priced compared with ones associated with later boxes. For the ones that are associated with a box is you get a token and their card, so you don't have to buy them separately unless you want the mini and their loyalty mission, which lets you use them as an ally after you win it. The core box has Han, Chewbacca, IG-88, General Weiss (I really would not buy him as I think there is one mission in the whole game where you have him and another AT-ST) and the Royal Guard Champion. Twin Shadows has R2D2, C3P0, Boba Fett and Kyrn Somos (a named Storm Trooper) associated with it. Hoth has Leia, Dengar and General Sorin (who I use mainly as a named imperial officer which crop up in missions from time to time). Bespin has Lando, Bossk and Agent Blaise. Jabba's Realm has Luke as a Jedi (you can just use the Luke that comes with the core box unless you really want the mini) Captain Terro and Jabba. Heart of the Empire has Ahsoka Tano, the Emperor and Darth Maul. Tyrents of Lothal has Kanan, Ezra, Zeb, Sabine, Hondo (all from the Rebels cartoon) and Grand Admiral Thrawn. Keep in mind that you can only take one ally (or squad of troops) with you in a mission, so if you have a lot of them, you might not get to use many of them much outside the missions they are in for their respective campaign.

For the App Jabba's Realm, then Hoth make sense at this point. The raids have maps you can buy separately so you don't need the other expansions for the tiles.

I haven't played much skirmish, so I can't really help there.

Edited by coogee78
23 hours ago, coogee78 said:

Twin Shadows has a lot of overlap with Jabba's Realm. It is required to acquire Boba Fett, R2D2 and C3P0 (unless you substitute them as a reward for another loyalty mission, e.g. win IG-88 mission and get Fett instead if you just want him but not the box).

You don't need Twin Shadows to get Boba Fett. The side mission in his villain pack works with the core game.

4 hours ago, Dantk said:

You don't need Twin Shadows to get Boba Fett. The side mission in his villain pack works with the core game.

Sorry, you're right about that. I went back over all the ally and villain expansions tied to a campaign (excluding Dengar and Blase which I don't have) and he is the only one that works without the expansion he was launched along side of. I remember a lot of people were very unhappy that he wasn't in the box at the time, and I had thought it was due to their need to buy him and the expansion to include him in other campaigns. Evidently I was wrong.

Hello! I am hoping for a little bit of help. I am having trouble choosing between Rebel Troopers, Rebel Saboteurs, Echo Base Troopers and Alliance Smuggler. I have the core set, twin shadows and hoth expansions with many other ally/villain packs. I also prefer the campaign. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you so much!

Edited by Chugg
mistake