Currently available figures that can be used for Runewars

By sarumanthewhite, in Runewars Miniatures Game

So with the first card based expansion nearly complete for playtesting, I want to start thinking about new units for each faction. While we're not going to get any new figures from FFG, there are a ton of figures out there and with the Litko bases and a .pdf, we can make some cool new units...

I have the Sylvaneth from Age of Sigmar for the Latari but would be interested in ideas for the other three factions. The key requirement is that you have to be able to buy enough of them at a reasonable price to make an army. I like a lot of the figures in Descent, but I just don't see how you could make units that take 12 figures or more to work as each box only has 3-4 of them.

I figure each faction needs one more rank and file unit with possibly a new champion.

Any suggestions...

Bone horrors are nearly perfect for waiqar, 3 come in a mists of gloomhaven expansion (descent). The bone horror unit could be only available in 2x1 and 3x1, meaning you only need 2 expansions, or 1 if you want to run the 2x1 with maro.

I posted a yeron rider for latari a few threads back, it's a heavy kitbash, but would be a really cool unit.

I can also attest that the sylvaneth will do nicely for dryads.

Daqan, I'm thinking there are enough generic armored human figures out there that just settling on a good one is the issue. Units that come to mind from battlelore are Yoeman archers and ironbound.

I dont know what else uthuk has, but any demonic minis would fit well.

I also have something in the works for some much, much bigger things šŸ˜‰ further down the pipeline.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

https://www.para-bellum.com/us/conquest/eshop/

You can easily build rank and file units. Iā€™m a little concerned that you would have to buy 2 Descent expansions for a 3-tray unit. They are nice figures, though, and of course, they fit well with Waiqar... šŸ˜€

Iā€™m also concerned that kitbashing may be a bit of a lit for the larger community, me included. I was thinking that if someone could buy a box of figs online and print out a .pdf, they would be good to go.

The steel legion pack for para bellum is more or less perfect for an ironbound unit (they are basically magically animated metal suits from what I understand).

Non kitbashing would be best I realize, but makes finding some models much harder.

The descent expansion is actually not severely overpriced, I found a copy for $35, which was the msrp of one Ventala box.

I'll keep searching.

Games Workshop dire wolves as barghests ?

The stuff for Conquest by Para Bellum showed up in my local stores this week. The base sizes are spot on for Runewars. Figure size is a bit large but certainly explainable...

Figure upgrades could easily use pathfinder, if you use conquest for ironbound it works, they are supposed to be a bit large.

Conquest will definitely be a good substitute going forward for Runewars. It also, by all appearances, is a good game in its own right. I'm also sure Para Bellum won't complain about extra sales. :)

On 8/12/2019 at 4:09 AM, sarumanthewhite said:

So with the first card based expansion nearly complete for playtesting, I want to start thinking about new units for each faction. While we're not going to get any new figures from FFG, there are a ton of figures out there and with the Litko bases and a .pdf, we can make some cool new units...

I have the Sylvaneth from Age of Sigmar for the Latari but would be interested in ideas for the other three factions. The key requirement is that you have to be able to buy enough of them at a reasonable price to make an army. I like a lot of the figures in Descent, but I just don't see how you could make units that take 12 figures or more to work as each box only has 3-4 of them.

I figure each faction needs one more rank and file unit with possibly a new champion.

Any suggestions...

I've not got onto this much yet as I'm very deep into developing my RPG fan project at the moment, especially with how much all of the RWM minis range has inspired it, and my keenness to find ways to use the RWM minis in Descent - especially as Descent NEEDS Uthuk adventures and more Latari (although that too has taken a backseat to the former- I have lots of Terrinoth fan projects on the go!)

but

my initial thinking was that Descent units could be designed to work in smaller numbers or even as single units (a bit like some of the RWM ones can), there's no reason why Skarn or Ariad or various other entities couldn't be the Ravos equivalent of a 'boss' leader/general/hero-in-command character leading an army that suits the character for example. I did get multiples of some Descent sets for my Descent/RPG needs so have enough of some of these to make some larger units. Could be fun to experiment. Check out other threads for various discussions on such possibilities. There are probably ways individual players could work to their budgets and their collections to fit rules around the numbers of these alternative units they have. It's also possible if cost is a factor to get one or two of any required Descent sets and flesh out the size of such units with other models from other manufacturers as you're not paying the premium of buying the Descent game elements multiple times just for the extra figures. Descent can also be good for alternate sculpts of exisiting RWM units such as the wraiths, to bring some visual variety to your battlefield.

As I said ages ago the banshee from Battlelore is something I'd like to make use of, although the scale's a bit wonky, that doesn't bother me so much- it may just need to sit in a base like some pieces do to work. A few of the figures like the banshee, great dragon etc are bigger than the mostly smaller units of the game though- so can just about be ported over. Although these may end up only making an appearance in my RPG projects.

As an aside, it seems a bit crazy that a lot of companies dislike fans repurposing their kit and bringing it to other games when it's actually good for their sales and the health of the hobby/industry as a whole.

I guess the 'serving suggestion' approach is best where you're not stealing the creative copyright of something, thus just having a fairly generic fantasy staple where that piece of kit is just a suggestion for one option to bring it to the table and you're not treading unacceptably on any copyrights.

But one reason for my argument that some companies can get too draconian on this (even getting annoyed at people sharing images/video of their gameplay sessions - how dare you use our scenery with... another company's game just because it suits the theme really well!) is think of a kid playing with their toys- they often don't split off their toys into this range and that range but mix things up with however their mind goes- so a Jurassic Park dino rampaging down a city street of Lego (which for some reason Hogwarts also seems to have relocated to) being defended by a group of sci fi heroes from any of several well known franchises- maybe a mixture of them- is a perfectly possible scenario- games like toys are designed to be enjoyed and mixing and matching is natural. Imagination cares less about rules.

I'm not saying copyright shouldn't exist or matter- I'm a creative hobby-wise so it very much does. Just that it should come with some sensible freedoms. And games companies getting hung up on things like 'you can only use our scenery with our games' seems a bit too much- if it's a player community thing I don't see an issue (if people were commercializing and selling it in any way that's different), if it's just players enjoying the creative value of the range as players/fans then why moan? They may only have purchased it to use in the other context, so it's potentially an additional sale that wouldn't otherwise happen.

But isn't it harmful for the game being added to? Well yes, it does risk diverting sales elsewhere but it doesn't stop people completing their collection within a range and it can give the game more replayability/longevity, so I think it's more a case of everyone wins, especially if it keeps the playing community engaged in any gaps between product releases/ new product launches. New stuff's happening even when it isn't.

Plus as we know RPG with minis and tabletop gaming is a good excuse to carry on the fun of that kind of imaginary play into adulthood :) Creativity is good for us- keeps the mind active!

Just my thoughts for the day!

Take a look at reaper miniatures, especially the bones series