Finally found a reference about distances in Terrinoth

By IamGazrok, in Realms of Terrinoth

In the Runewars lore book, under Baron Zachareth....

"I visited the abandoned village of Rothfeld, which lay a week's ride north of my lands...."

Since the average rider on horseback can go 30 miles a day (at average speed, considering walking, rests, etc.), this puts the distance between the borders of Carthridge and the village of Rothfeld at about 210 miles.

Cool! Thanks for the find. Also:

Pushes up glasses

"Ackchyually, we don't know the average travel speed of a Mennaran equine beast. We could assume that it is similar to a North American horse. *Snicker* However, that ignores the obviously magical origin of Mennara as a whole. Since their beasts of burden didn't substantially evolve, comparing the two would be like comparing apples and oranges. Except the oranges come from a tree that levitates through the air."

That is a fair point. However the canon artwork does seem to indicate they are fairly normal horses.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:03 PM, IamGazrok said:

That is a fair point. However the canon artwork does seem to indicate they are fairly normal horses.

Meanwhile, at the FFG Genesys Offices

Developer 1: "I'm freaking out! IamGazrok almost has it figured out! We haven't even figured it out!"

Developer A: "Okay...okay. I have an idea."

6 Month later in FFG News

Announcing the first supplement to Realms of Terrinoth: Horses Could Fly the Whole Time! Also the Ru Steppes & Al-Kalim (or Whatever)

Developer A: "They mostly fly just a few inches of the ground in modern times. They used to be the apex airborne predator, eating flocks of migratory fowl and the occasional floating wizard. Then the Dragons attacked and their majesty was washed away by generations of carrying adventuring parties. Our goal is to make Terrinoth a fun, diverse, and immeasurable experience accessible to all types of role-player."

Developer 1 gives double thumbs-up

flying-horse.jpg

Edited by HaphazardNinja

LOL. As a horse owner myself, I seriously would fear a flying horse. They get into enough trouble on the ground....

The Latari have them - they call them a yeron and one helped put an end to the dragon Margath (they can fly too pesky things) so legend has it.

We might call them pegasus with an ensuing argument about if you can or can't have multiples and if the plural should be pegasi or pegasus or not allowed because there was only ever one Pegasus :)

I'm also sure it's not true that the species name yeron evolved from the phrase 'the horse yer on'

On 8/14/2019 at 5:03 PM, IamGazrok said:

Or strange rune-golemesque-beasties (one of my favourite aspects of the RWM miniatures is the awesome mounts/companion beasts!) https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/15/lord-of-subterfuge/

The Latari have them - they call them a yeron and one helped put an end to the dragon Margath (they can fly too pesky things) so legend has it.

We might call them pegasus with an ensuing argument about if you can or can't have multiples and if the plural should be pegasi or pegasus or not allowed because there was only ever one Pegasus

The weird thing is, there's official artwork that depicts elves on both the Yeron and the more traditional Pegasus, so it appears BOTH exist in Terrinoth. And this is as recent as the ROT book (if you look in the upper left of the elf tree image, you'll see a normal, Pegasus rider...) [/quote]

There's also official artwork depicting normal horses. So it seems these exist as well, and are used by humans.

Edited by IamGazrok

Not sure why this didn't quote right.

Question:

Hello, There are several beautiful maps in the Realms of Terrinoth book - however there is nothing by which to judge scale. Is there any sort of scale available so that rough distances can be determined?

Answer:

Hi Josh! We imagine Terrinoth (page 139) around 250 leagues across at its widest point (roughly 900 miles). Travel time in days is likely more an issue, and our benchmark is 5 leagues per day on foot on average. It probably would take 7 or so weeks to cross it on foot (3-4 on horseback), and several days to travel from Tamalir to Greyhaven that way. This is something the GM can change, though, to best fit the game and the plot. One GM might have Terrinoth as big as the US, another the size of Europe, a third eh size of France. And all are perfectly fine.

We’re discussing this here and may add some guidance along these lines either in a reprint or online. It’s a great question and thanks for bringing it up Josh!

Yep, I know they made it scalable, but it was interesting to see the bit in the OP on distance.

In Descent campaigns, they have more local maps of an area, and you can easily see that roads, lakes, etc. are not depicted on the overall Terrinoth map.

If you thought a flock of birds flying overhead was scary, just think about a flock of horses overhead. There must be a roaring hat business there.

Not to mention the Roc Riders.... I'd take horse poop over giant bird droppings any day......

On 10/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, baldwookiee said:

If you thought a flock of birds flying overhead was scary, just think about a flock of horses overhead. There must be a roaring hat business there.

That's still tame compared to the SeaWorld commercials that showed pods of orcas flying over the countryside. Those things are deadly threats, especially if you're wearing a tuxedo.

Edited by HappyDaze