Amber Crown and app upgrade causing further malfunctions

By --JP, in The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth

Just downloaded the latest upgrade this afternoon.

I thought my issues with the black screen while still playing music (1st Ember campaign) or the Camp screen that has the word "Finish" instead of "Embark" that takes you back to the Home screen in an endless cycle would be resolved!

Instead, the upgrade is for an "Ember Crown Campaigns purchasing bug".

All my pre-existing issues remain in the malfunctioning saved campaigns.

When I went to start a new campaign, to see if I could avoid the malfunctions, the app removed my purchase of the campaign. It shows that I have to pay for it ..AGAIN! This despite having 2 Ember Crown campaigns saved (albeit malfunctioning ones).

It is unacceptable! $100 for the game, $7 for the new campaign, $15 for the expansion and IT DOES NOT WORK and they want to recharge me for a campaign I already purchased...and can't play it unless I do!

It's a horrible way to do business.

I really wanted to like this one. I have friends who will no longer play due to the campaign malfunctions.

I use a single Android tablet, with the current operating system.

I've written to the support address listed in this website. I have the 2 standard auto-replies to my bug reports.

Who actually does quality control on the app?? It only took 2 missions before both of my campaigns locked up.

Just really frustrated and really disappointed.

Never play on patch-day!

Just wait a few weeks before you start the new campaign and invite your friends. Bugs should be fixed then.

That you lost your purchase is strange though. This information should be saved by your Google Playstore account. You can see your list of purchases in the account settings and you can use this to proof that you paid twice for the same thing.

I appreciate the comment...

However, "never play on parch day" seems to make the issue _my_ fault.

I didn't purchase the game to have to determine what day I can play it.

Regardless, the patch made the situation worse.

The entire campaign has not functioned since I paid for it the day it came out. So, I can't actually play it on any day.

Thank you for the reference to my Google play store account. Seems I was charged for the campaign on 1 August _and_ 2 August.

So, $100 game, $15 expansion, $7 campaign....$7 again..for the same campaign...

And it doesn't work.

The advice to "wait a few weeks" so they can fix the bugs??? Really?

Take my money now for a game to play in a few weeks? (And double charge me!!)

If FFG wanted to run this as a Kickstarter campaign, they should have at least announced it that way.

Caveat Emptor

The norm for Computer programs is that there Are bugs... and no it is not allright, but it is a matter of fact.

2 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

The norm for Computer programs is that there Are bugs... and no it is not allright, but it is a matter of fact.

That's what I mean. I understand that you're upset and it is your right to complain, but you have to understand that these things can happen. Bugs can slip past testing, so it is important to report them but after that we just have to wait and hope for fixes (and I'm sure they are working on it since there already was a patch, although only regarding the payments)

Regarding your double payment: I would contact FFG Support and show them your receipt. Since they already know there are problems with the payment system they should give you a refund.

I don't mind a "bug". They happen.

A catastrophic failure of the program that causes it to cease functioning after 4 turns into the first mission that consistently repeats itself after a second play. A delete app and and re-download that erases existing saved games..only to fail catastrophically in a completely different way is not a "bug".

A purchase from the app store that double charges....and then erases your purchase...after downloading an FFG sanctioned update is not a "bug".

Ignoring 3 messages to customer service is not a "bug".

It's a continuation of disregard for a long time customer.

I realize you don't want to read this, and you certainly can't fix it, Hannibal_pjv, but you don't have to minimize my frustration and anger at having money effectively stolen from me.

I vent here because FFG customer service will not respond beyond an auto-generated email.

And maybe, I can save someone the same trouble by having them reconsider a potential purchase.

Staelwulf, thanks for the comment. I agree with you and understand that stuff happens. Am certainly willing to accept "bugs".

I have reported them in accordance with the guidelines on this website.

It's being ignored by FFG customer service and the fact that game breaking/ending failures occur a few turns into the first mission. I can understand bugs deeper into a campaign when massive amounts of variety creep in. What I am experiencing is just sloppy workmanship and disregard for the transaction I entered into in good faith.

I've not had issue with Mom2, Imperial Assault, Descent or even Xcom. Just this game...and I really _want_ to like it.

Your mileage may vary, of course (not sarcasm - it seems a number of people do not have issues and I wish them well.)

10 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

I remember back in the early days of computers. Whenever you bought a game, you pretty much expected to fight with it or spend some time with technical support before you'd get it running. Things these days are much, much better.

Sorry to hear about people's problems with the app though. I haven't had any trouble with it myself, although I use it with my laptop, not sure if that makes any difference.

I received a reply from FFG today. They said that the issues were at a 3rd party to resolve. In the meantime, I was supplied a code for a "free" download that I already paid twice for.

The free download worked through Google play. The campaign shows as available on my tablet, but not my phone (which uses the same Google account).

At least they reached out and tried tovoffer an immediate fix.

Let's hope the "3rd party" gets their collective stuff together.

Just wanted to update, in case others were having the same issue

Hi JP

I am having the same issue as you. Do you have a link to their support page?

Home page, click "more" at the banner head. Choose customer service.

There are a number of options from there.

Thx 👍

Issues keep piling up....or at least repeating.

I run the app exclusively on an android tablet (up to date OS)

Went to my FLGS yesterday to play the new campaign (that charged me twice and then disappeared... for which FFG sent me a code for a free download which actually showed the campaign as available and playable)

and the Ember Crown showed that I could but it for $6.99....again. The campaign, for the 3rd time... disappeared.

It shows in my Google App purchases 3 times.

The fact that this campaign keeps disappearing is infuriating. Trying to build up some excitement at my FLGS and the software failures are killing it.

To be fair, FFG sent _another_ code for a free download... but without a root cause, I can't really proceed to a campaign at the store.

This situation is making it really difficult to like this game...and I REALLY want to like it.

(I have deleted and re-downloaded the app several times...other than losing saved games, no change.)

I hope others experience less trouble.

Having the same problem. You posted helped me find support, which also provided me with a download code. Sad to hear that the problem can still occur. The really need to fix this p0.

As an update, our group at my FLGS has gotten through 4 missions without issue. A kind staff member at Asmodee has offered to be on standby during our sessions in order to provide a code to download the campaign.

It looks like the app updated last night. The last update deleted my app purchase. This one did not...at least not today.

(Fingers crossed))

11 hours ago, --JP said:

A kind staff member at Asmodee has offered to be on standby during our sessions in order to provide a code to download the campaign.

That is more costumer service than you will ever get out of any other company that big. Has to be said.