Thank you FFG

By Supertoe, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

You have no idea how much your fans appreciate only needing one core to get a complete set. This is something that has been asked for for years, and you finally delivered. This has not gone unnoticed. Gone are the days of needing to drop $120 to try out an LCG.

LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN: THANK YOU FOR GIVING US A COMPLETE SET IN ONE CORE 😀

Can't help but wonder if there will be a basic card that everyone will want to use in every deck and the core set only gives us enough for one deck. That way we will have to buy more core sets because we have cheap friends.

Does FFG have rights to the comic art or are we getting FFG adaptations of Marvel artwork?

3 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Can't help but wonder if there will be a basic card that everyone will want to use in every deck and the core set only gives us enough for one deck. That way we will have to buy more core sets because we have cheap friends.

cheap friends are not really something FFG can fix :P

4 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Unlikely, from what I've seen, the "staple" neutral cards are all limit 1 per deck. So assuming they give you two copies, you should be good.

No much deckbuilding in core but that is expected. So core is like a board game. Just use all cards and play. Simple and easy. If you want to make deckbuilding... buy expansions and a lot of them.

4 hours ago, Supertoe said:

Unlikely, from what I've seen, the "staple" neutral cards are all limit 1 per deck. So assuming they give you two copies, you should be good.

This was my thought too. 5/11 neutral cards are limited to 1 per deck, and at least another 2 of them are limited to 1 in play per player. 4 of each feels like more than enough.

On 8/2/2019 at 6:54 PM, urloony said:

Does FFG have rights to the comic art or are we getting FFG adaptations of Marvel artwork?

Not sure what's temp art and what's final, but I've seen panels from comics in the cards we've seen so far.

On 8/2/2019 at 2:44 PM, Supertoe said:

Gone  are the days of needing to drop $120 to try out an LCG. 

You were buying 3 cores to try out an LCG? That's dedication out there!

The TC unboxing video shows you have enough to make four stacks of 1 of each neutral. Quite of few were unique which makes that easier. Though for non-uniques in a four player game using 1 collection's worth of cards you would need to negotiate which cards go in which deck. or compromise and split the available cards between the decks. That said the neutrals all look very generic anyway. I'm sure they'll eventually get phased out as newer cards release in the expansions. For example in AH:TCG Emergency Cache and Unexpected Courage were two cards that were considered staples in all decks early on, but nowadays in the modern card pool they get cut alot for better or more flavorful options.

Technically I had this issue early on with my two core set AH:TCG collection, but it's never really a problem. We just coordinated when playing with one collection. It's a co-op. No real need for everyone to completely optimize their deck and some decks will fit some neutrals better than others. I'm sure some people will feel compelled to buy more to be more flexible for multiple people playing with one collection, but that's a deep canyon to jump down since if you want a complete cards pool for every player you are planning to play with then you'll technically need to buy multiples of everything since two people might want to play leadership in the same game for example. It's not worth chasing that ideal. Just coordinate. In my opinion these sorts of games are more fun in a limited format anyway usually.

Edited by phillos

The single Core Set experience looks really solid.

15 hero cards +18/19 aspect cards already gives you 33/34 card decks. The minimum is 40 So everyone gets the 5 cards that can only be in a deck once and you are at 38/39. Then everyone gets a mansion and the leadership player can add one more card to complete all the decks.

And if some players want they can include some other neutral cards to increase their decksize. We will have to wait and see what number will be optimal since too few might get you an extra negative cards too often.

Yes deckbuilding for 4 players with just one coreset will be very limited but you will get to make some choices.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:23 PM, xchan said:

Dedication is not the word I would have used...

1 hour ago, cheapmate said:

Dedication is not the word I would have used...

On 8/4/2019 at 1:23 PM, xchan said:

Okay yes, you're right. I should have said "buy 3 cores to get into an LCG", instead of "try out". Although I think the general sentiment should have been easy to pick up on. 🤷‍♂️

The fact of the matter is that not having to buy multiple copies of the same product breaks down a lot of barriers for getting new players into a game. Trying to get friends into Conquest was hard, because their decks wouldn't be playable unless they dropped $120 bucks on 3 cores. Trying to get friends into Ashes was easy, because all they had to do was buy one product and they would instantly have full playsets of enough cards to make some seriously good decks.

Edited by Supertoe

I don't fully agree you need multiple cores to "get into" a LCG, but I understand the sentiment

26 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

Okay yes, you're right. I should have said "buy 3 cores to get into an LCG", instead of "try out". Although I think the general sentiment should have been easy to pick up on.

The fact of the matter is that not having to buy multiple copies of the same product breaks down a lot of barriers for getting new players into a game. Trying to get friends into Conquest was hard, because their decks wouldn't be playable unless they dropped $120 bucks on 3 cores. Trying to get friends into Ashes was easy, because all they had to do was buy one product and they would instantly have full playsets of enough cards to make some seriously good decks

I think it all depends on the game. Coop games like this, Arkham and LotR shouldn't require more than 1 core for full playsets.

Competitive LCG, I kinda prefer them to. I rather have more options from the start to generate a decent meta than fewer cards. I don't think aGoT or L5R would have worked with a core set of 350 like this one. It wouldn't be enough for building a playable deck for each faction, let alone allow for deckbuilding. That's not what you want for competitive games.

Edited by xchan
1 hour ago, xchan said:

I think it all depends on the game. Coop games like this, Arkham and LotR shouldn't require more than 1 core for full playsets.

Competitive LCG, I kinda prefer them to. I rather have more options from the start to generate a decent meta than fewer cards. I don't think aGoT or L5R would have worked with a core set of 350 like this one. It wouldn't be enough for building a playable deck for each faction, let alone allow for deckbuilding. That's not what you want for competitive games.

Lord of the Rings works fine with just one core, but Arkham needs that second core, or just proxying the important cards. It's really hard to win without second copies of cards like Machete or Mind Over Matter.

40 minutes ago, Supertoe said:

Lord of the Rings works fine with just one core, but Arkham needs that second core, or just proxying the important cards. It's really hard to win without second copies of cards like Machete or Mind Over Matter.

I meant, their core sets shouldn't require multiple copies of to get a playset of the cards; as in, I thing FFG did good for Champions by giving us full playsets in a single core. That's how all coop LCG should have been.

Competitive ones is another story, and Im perfectly fine with the current approach of 1x of most the cards. It gives a bigger card pool to build decks from the start, even though 120 is a tough entry point.