Weaplements

By Lorne, in Rules Questions

Can a "magic staff" implement be used as a "staff" weapon?

RoT introduces the "magic scepter" implement -- could it also be used as a mace, or such a weaplement made using the crafting rules?

Why not. It will not brake any balance. The wielder does benefit from not getting a setback dice from having their hands free both cant really see the problem.

A staff used as a weapon will be more likely to get damage or disarmed etc. From threat and dispair etc.

Considering it's not designed to be a weapon, I would treat it as an improvised weapon.

50 minutes ago, c__beck said:

Considering it's not designed to be a weapon, I would treat it as an improvised weapon.

if you mean from a mechanical rules standpoint yes its not designed as a weapon. But still nothing in the description says it cannot be a weapon.

"Used by wizards, druids, and shamans,
these can look like ornate, rune-encrusted rods
of brass and obsidian, simple wooden staffs, or pretty
much anything else. "

But at the end of the day its subjective to each GM

12 hours ago, Archellus said:

if you mean from a mechanical rules standpoint yes its not designed as a weapon. But still nothing in the description says it cannot be a weapon.

"Used by wizards, druids, and shamans,
these can look like ornate, rune-encrusted rods
of brass and obsidian, simple wooden staffs, or pretty
much anything else. "

But at the end of the day its subjective to each GM

Right, it is not designed as a weapon. Anything not designed as a weapon that is used as a weapon is an improvised weapon.

Ultimately the question is "Does this make sense for your world". If the item has been found as part of a Perception (or other roll) with advantage/triumph then you can declare it sturdy enough. Otherwise you can decide that any one staff, rod, etc, is ornamental, and therefore an improvised weapon, or was built (purposefully or accidental) to be function as a weapon. As noted earlier, if it breaks then you lose both the weapon and the implement; two for the price of one 😛 . I am getting ready to run a Shadowrun Genesys game, some implements will double as weapons, some won't; with the same breakage potential. This makes sense for my world. Also, remember, that Genesys focus's on simple generalizations for just about everything. This is true with implements also. The book implies that all ring implements improve magic X and all staffs improve magic Y. That's fine if it fits the lore of your world, otherwise you can have Aza's Ring of Fiery Fury, Nag's Staff of Flaming Excess (Dam +2, Crit 3), or Gnossis' Dagger of Flaming Vengence (Dam: +1, Crit 3, Pierce 1) which each remove one difficult from adding Burn, if it this type of variety fits the lore of your world. So in the end, why not have a fighting staff or sword as an implement?

Do what works for you and the lore of your world? This isn't THE WORLDS MOST BANAL RPG, small changes wont break the game

Edited by lyinggod
Edited for clarity