Interesting Choices

By CEOWolf, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

Well we can add no German translation to the interesting choices that are being made with this game.

I was looking forward to this game but i doubt the game will fly in any local store if there is only the english version available.

The risk to the local retailer is just too big to stock a game that is only available in english.

2 minutes ago, Reaver027 said:

Well we can add no German translation to the interesting choices that are being made with this game.

I was looking forward to this game but i doubt the game will fly in any local store if there is only the english version available.

The risk to the local retailer is just too big to stock a game that is only available in english.

Really? That seems like a huge oversight.

But then again, there's been some pretty significant omissions in language support with some of their other games (MoM2E comes to mind) so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I mean, at this point, they're the experts on LCGs, right? I'm assuming if there's no German translation, it's because the money wasn't there.

2 hours ago, Reaver027 said:

That doesn't make sense.

If both English and German were available, the retailer will have to make a guess on how many he will sell for each language. He would have to guess how many English copies he needs to keep on stock, just like he will have to do now.

11 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

How are you defining fan service? I'm not sure that Wanda's moment would really fit that term.

I don't know really, scenes that serve no practical value other than to make fans happy.

I thought the Wanda scene fit that since the movie could have gone totally without it and it would have been the same. It's arguable though. It doesn't really matter though. I just didn't want people calling me misogynistic for not liking that scene even though it was for totally different reasons so I brought up a similar scene for credibility.

My problem with the scene was multiple things.

1. The battle started with a wide array of allies intermixed. Now there is all the female characters around with the males nowhere to be seen. It strains credulity for that to occur.

2. We see no real reason why Captain Marvel can't do it alone. She singlehandidly wiped out Thanos's ship. She could easily charge right through his army.

Personally I would like the scene a lot better if it was Nebula who took the Gauntlet. It pays off her development and keeps the focus on her for the film where she plays a major role, as opposed to Carol who gets a glorified cameo.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:40 AM, ScottieATF said:

Because a character that doesn't control their ability that litterally transformers them from alter-ego to hero would be a really bad choice for a game with a core mechanic of being able to switch between those two things turn to turn. Specifically in a core set where you want things to not violate too many mechanics off the bat.

I don't think you really thought this question through in a rush to declare pandering.

And the Hulk is included as an ally. And true to his comic book form he makes a big impact but is unreliable.

Hulk will certainly be a hero down the line, no question. I don't think mechanics of switching between alter-ego and hero are really an issue. I'm sure that they will develop or have developed the mechanics for that, as you have pointed out, they did a nice job developing the mechanics for his ally card already. It certainly sounds like beating a dead horse regarding the pandering, so I'm going to let it go with this final thought. Captain Marvel is included in the core set and three months later Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), is scheduled for release. While all comic book sales are in the tank these days, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel are arguably the worst selling comics currently in production from Marvel, and exist simply for their SJW value, not because anyone actually reads them (sales numbers are published and available online, this isn't hyperbole). It's unfortunate we have to endure the same sort of pandering in the LCG, but it's likely that Marvel is dictating to FFG what heroes to publish and when. Kamala Khan releases before Thor, Hulk, Daredevil, Deadpool, Silver Surfer, Nick Fury, Doctor Strange, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch or any of the X-Men. Why, because she's more popular and will sell better?

Edited by urloony
On 8/4/2019 at 11:17 PM, Deathseed said:

Leave that crap out of it, we get enough of that nearly everywhere else. You want to debate social engineering, go to Facebook or Twitter.

Unfortunately it's everywhere, even in our comics and games. Don't blame me for simply making the observation. You also should check your male privilege before mansplaining it to me.

1 hour ago, urloony said:

Hulk will certainly be a hero down the line, no question. I don't think mechanics of switching between alter-ego and hero are really an issue. I'm sure that they will develop or have developed the mechanics for that, as you have pointed out, they did a nice job developing the mechanics for his ally card already. It certainly sounds like beating a dead horse regarding the pandering, so I'm going to let it go with this final thought. Captain Marvel is included in the core set and three months later Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan), is scheduled for release. While all comic book sales are in the tank these days, Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel are arguably the worst selling comics currently in production from Marvel, and exist simply for their SJW value, not because anyone actually reads them (sales numbers are published and available online, this isn't hyperbole). It's unfortunate we have to endure the same sort of pandering in the LCG, but it's likely that Marvel is dictating to FFG what heroes to publish and when. Kamala Khan releases before Thor, Hulk, Daredevil, Deadpool, Silver Surfer, Nick Fury, Doctor Strange, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch or any of the X-Men. Why, because she's more popular and will sell better?

Ms. Marvel made the New York Times Best Seller list for graphic novels, ya goofball. It's also been one of the best-selling digital comics since its debut in 2013, or as you would probably say, "10 seconds ago."

1 hour ago, urloony said:

Unfortunately it's everywhere, even in our comics and games. Don't blame me for simply making the observation. You also should check your male privilege before mansplaining it to me.

I am definitely blaming you for your "observation," although it really tells us more about your biases than anything else.

8 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

Ms. Marvel made the New York Times Best Seller list for graphic novels, ya goofball. It's also been one of the best-selling digital comics since its debut in 2013, or as you would probably say, "10 seconds ago."

I am definitely blaming you for your "observation," although it really tells us more about your biases than anything else.

So let’s shift away from insinuation of negative personal bias and into a fact based discussion. We’ve all read the headlines of Kamala Khan’s debut being a game-changing trend up for comic sales. It’s possible that you’re right that she has the bestselling digital comic since her debut. However, you’re going to have to prove that. In a cursory look on Comixology, her book doesn’t appear on any of the pages for “Best selling digital comics.” After searching the first 12 pages I gave up. You can keyword search her book, but shouldn’t she be on page 1 of a list of “best selling” digital comics? If you're right about this, show me. I'll willingly acquiesce.

The true reality is that her published book is in the tank. I ssue #1 (Feb 2014) did great with retailers purchasing 50k issues. This is what made the headlines. What you don't hear is that last month retailers only bought 804 copies of Ms. Marvel #37 in anticipated sales. In March Magnificent Ms. Marvel #1 sold only 28K issues to retailers. The following month, retailers received a promotional overship of Magnificent Ms. Marvel, one FREE copy for EVERY copy they ordered for their shelves. Is that what companies do with best selling books, give them away for free? No, it's what publishers do when they over produce a book that has significantly lower sales than anticipated. They just need to get rid of them. As of last month M. Ms. Marvel continues to slump in sales.

Edited by urloony
10 hours ago, urloony said:

Why, because she's more popular and will sell better?

I think you're on to something. I think Fantasy Flight and Disney said "Hey, we could sell a lot of units selling the cool names, but I bet if we pander to SJWs we could sell less! Let's do that!" I like where your head's at.

You know who loves Ms. Marvel? My 3 year old son.

He doesn't know what a comic book is. He gets all his Marvel information from a product line called Marvel's Super Hero Adventures, in which Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel feature very prominently (along with Black Widow, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Cap, and Black Panther). I've spent around $300 on MSHA merch in the last year. I subscribe to Marvel Unlimited, and Marvel Champions and Marvel Unlimited will end up being a rounding error in the year's budget for what I spend on Marvel.

Ten years ago, nobody knew who the Guardians of the Galaxy were, or who Iron Man was, etc. Most of the world didn't know who Nick Fury was.

Disney decides who is cool. The market has some say in it, if they tank a property, obviously, but Disney and Marvel are already planning the next ten years.

And they've decided they'll make more money representing the world instead of just white people.

Ms. Marvel will sell just fine.

I also think the idea that FFG should just sort heroes by "popularity" and then issue packs based on that is poppycock.

That's ludicrous and was never going to happen.

They need the hook. Releasing characters of varying familiarity seems obvious. They don't want to have the game running along just fine mechanically in 2023 and have the only options for hero packs be Wiccan and Iron Heart. FFG wants to be able to snag ya right when you're thinking of giving up.

"Do I really need to keep buying Champions? Maybe I have enough? OOH, they just announced Wolverine", etc.

They will absolutely release heroes that are lower in popularity (defined by... some metric) than other heroes first. The first pack is Captain America, about as famous as they could have gone. The second is Ms. Marvel. I'll wager the remaining half of this donut on my desk against your 50 cents that in the next four hero packs we see 2 big names, and 2 lesser known names.

Edited by CitizenKeen
sentence was chopped
1 minute ago, CitizenKeen said:

I think you're on to something. I think Fantasy Flight and Disney said "Hey, we could sell a lot of units selling the cool names, but I bet if we pander to SJWs we could sell less! Let's do that!" I like where your head's at.

If you don't think this really happens, I don't think you've been paying attention. Gillette razors are down $8 billion in sales since their woke ad 6 months ago. Instead of admitting they're wrong, we get a double down and the blaming of competition in the market rather than their own misjudgment of their consumer. I'm glad your son enjoys Ms. Marvel, I think that's great. However, Ms. Marvel isn't selling.

5 minutes ago, urloony said:

If you don't think this really happens, I don't think you've been paying attention. Gillette razors are down $8 billion in sales since their woke ad 6 months ago. Instead of admitting they're wrong, we get a double down and the blaming of competition in the market rather than their own misjudgment of their consumer. I'm glad your son enjoys Ms. Marvel, I think that's great. However, Ms. Marvel isn't selling.

Comic books. You've told us she's not selling comic books.

Nobody cares. Nobody cares about comic books. They're a testing ground for new product lines. They're the R&D of the Marvel money factory.

1 minute ago, CitizenKeen said:

Comic books. You've told us she's not selling comic books.

Nobody cares. Nobody cares about comic books. They're a testing ground for new product lines. They're the R&D of the Marvel money factory.

A lot of people care about comic books.

Just now, urloony said:

A lot of people care about comic books.

If we're talking about how popularity is determined? No, people don't. Or very few people do. Only nerds on the internet arguing about elf games. Most people care about movies and cartoons.

49 minutes ago, CitizenKeen said:

If we're talking about how popularity is determined? No, people don't. Or very few people do. Only nerds on the internet arguing about elf games. Most people care about movies and cartoons.

Let's not act like the comics don't matter. Since 2016 comic and graphic novel sales have exceeded a billion dollars annually. That may be small compared to movies, but back as recent as in 2014 Marvel comics outsold their movie department.

You dont need to be a "SJW" to appreciate Ms Marvel.

She has relatively unique powers and is pretty fresh. A new Spider-man for a new generation instead of just relaunching Spider-man again to keep him 16 forever.

1 hour ago, Radix2309 said:

She has relatively unique powers and is pretty fresh.

Aren't her powers the same as Mr. Fantastic?

1 minute ago, gokubb said:

Aren't her powers the same as Mr. Fantastic?

Kind of. She uses them differently, and I beleive she can shapeshift to look like someone else.

5 hours ago, urloony said:

Gillette razors are down $8 billion in sales since their woke ad 6 months ago.

"Though the fiscal quarter for which P&G reported ended before the launch of Gillette’s “The Best Men Can Be” campaign, there has been no hit to sales thus far in light of the social media storm the ad spark[ed] ."

Emphasis Added

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fortune.com/2019/01/23/gillette-ad/amp/

3 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

Kind of. She uses them differently, and I beleive she can shapeshift to look like someone else.

She's a polymorph. Yeah she can not only stretch but also change her appearance. Also her art and writing has been pretty consistently great on her standalone book. She's also the only Inhuman character I enjoy reading. She's a real success story for the recent set on new generation heroes Marvel pumped out in recent years. She's probably the one that has the staying power. I agree that both Kamala (and Miles) are modern updates on a Spiderman type character. She's a young hero who is unsure of themselves and slightly second tier to the big contenders in the Marvel Universe. Kamala is refreshing because she is so far removed from her legacy character (Carol) and they both exist concurrently rather than Kamala replacing Carol. Carol is really just an inspiration for Kamala, but she quickly establishes her own identity.

I honestly like her better than Miles now that Miles is merged into Marvel 616. He's lost a bit of stock for me now that Bendis isn't writing him and he's outside his Ultimate Universe.

Edited by phillos

Honestly, I don't even like Ms. Marvel that much, but that dislike doesn't compel me to create a conspiracy board where new Marvel characters are connected to Advertisement for Male Razors, the design choices for board games, and the Reverse Vampires.

Edited by Whiz Canmaj
14 hours ago, urloony said:

So let’s shift away from insinuation of negative personal bias and into a fact based discussion. We’ve all read the headlines of Kamala Khan’s debut being a game-changing trend up for comic sales. It’s possible that you’re right that she has the bestselling digital comic since her debut. However, you’re going to have to prove that. In a cursory look on Comixology, her book doesn’t appear on any of the pages for “Best selling digital comics.” After searching the first 12 pages I gave up. You can keyword search her book, but shouldn’t she be on page 1 of a list of “best selling” digital comics? If you're right about this, show me. I'll willingly acquiesce.

The true reality is that her published book is in the tank. I ssue #1 (Feb 2014) did great with retai  lers purchasing 50k issues. This is what made the headlines. What you don't hear is that last month retailers only bought 804 copies of Ms. Marvel #37 in anticipated sales. In March Magnificent Ms. Marvel #1 sold only 28K issues to retailers. The following month, retailers received a promotional overship of Magnificent Ms. Marvel, one FREE copy for EVERY copy they ordered for their shelves. Is that what companies do with best selling books, give them away for free? No, it's what publishers do when they over produce a book that has significantly lower sales than anticipated. They just need to get rid of them. As of last month M. Ms. Marvel continues to slump in sales.

Here's a few quick things I found showing Ms. Marvel's success spanning multiple years.

"Ms. Marvel editor Sana Amanat was interviewed and she mentioned that “she’s our #1 digital seller.”"
https://www.comicsbeat.com/ms-marvel-is-marvels-1-digital-seller/
https://www.cbr.com/ms-marvel-rockets-to-the-1-slot-on-marvels-digital-sales-chart/

" Most impressively, Ms. Marvel alone claims nearly half the list, corroborating one of our only other hard data points on Marvel's digital comics sales: that in digital, Ms. Marvel is the company's best-selling book . "
https://www.polygon.com/2015/4/14/8410771/digital-comics-female-characters

Comixoogy rank 17--Ms. Marvel
https://www.comicsbeat.com/comixology-sales-charts-marvels-not-launching-very-well-for-the-week-of-6-27-18/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/31/ms-marvel-sold-half-million-trade-paperbacks/

"But Marvel notes that its Muslim Ms. Marvel single-issue and trade paperbacks have been best sellers since the character’s launched in 2014. "
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-superhero-trend-could-alarm-investors-2017-12-14

As for biases, I'm not insinuating anything--I'm stating it outright. Your comments indicate a clear bias against female characters, exemplified by your belief that their inclusion is "pandering to SJWs." Yet somehow you don't seem to think that a lineup of 5 straight white guys would be "pandering" to a different group instead.

9 hours ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

"Ms. Marvel editor Sana Amanat was interviewed and she mentioned that “she’s our #1 digital seller.”"

I understand your claim now. I thought you were claiming that the entirety of Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan) was Marvel's best digital seller. If you are relegating that claim to just issue #1, I have no doubt that that issue was their best digital seller. Their hard copy issue of #1 also sold very well. However, I doubt many digital copies sell at all today. My point was that it is not a popular book in general. It's a total failure actually. The successful sale of a #1 issue does not predict the overall success of a series.

Comixoogy rank 17--Ms. Marvel

This is the ranking of issue #31 at 17. #31 is a milestone issue "50 issues of Kamala Khan." Marvel published the heck out of that issue and pulled out all the stops adding writers and artists to this failing book for JUST this issue. Do you know who else is in issue #31? Spider-Man (Miles Morales). Marvel knows it can help a failing book by putting characters people want to see in it.

Did you look at the previous ranking of Ms. Marvel for issue #30? It was 157. Do you know where issue #37 ranks? It's at 496, four spots away from the top 500. In another month it won't even appear on the list. Marvel knows it's failing that's why they launched Magnificent Ms. Marvel. Issue #4 of Mag. Ms. Marvel is ranked at 120, which is still very poor for a book that just released.

"But Marvel notes that its Muslim Ms. Marvel single-issue and trade paperbacks have been best sellers since the character’s launched in 2014. "

I'm not sure how Marvel is defining "Best Seller." Single issues are not selling well. Maybe they were selling better back in 2017 (the date of your article), but that is not the case anymore. However, even looking back at TPBs that were being purchased by vendors in 2017 does not look good for Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan). Here is a list of top selling TPB's published by Marvel in 2017. I guess she's a best seller when she ranks number 26 on Marvel's list and 153 on a list of all TPB's?

Wolverine Old Man Logan ( 17,581 copies)
Star Wars Darth Vader Vol. 1 Vader
Deadpool Bad Blood Ogn HC
Secret Avengers Vol. 1 Mission to Mars
Sandman Vol. 1 Preludes & Nocturnes
Black Panther Book 1 Nation Under Our Feet
Deadpool Kills Marvel Universe
Black Panther Book 2 Nation Under Our Feet
Hulk Season One Prem HC
X-Men Age of Apocalypse Prelude
Star Wars Han Solo
Spider-Man Deadpool Vol. 1 Isnt It Bromantic
Wolverine Old Man Logan Vol. 3 Last Ronin
Star Wars Darth Maul
Unworthy Thor
Spider-Man Deadpool Vol. 2 Side Pieces
Death of X
Star Wars Darth Vader Dark Lord Sith Vol. 1 Imperial Mach
Champions Vol. 1 Change World
Star Wars Doctor Aphra Vol. 1 Aphra
Star Wars Darth Vader Vol. 2 Shadows and Secrets
Wolverine Old Man Logan Vol. 1 Berzerker
Star Wars Vol. 5 Yodas Secret War
Vision Vol. 1 Little Worse Than Man
Civil War
Ms. Marvel Vol. 1 No Normal ( 5,316 copies)

As for biases, I'm not insinuating anything--I'm stating it outright. Your comments indicate a clear bias against female characters, exemplified by your belief that their inclusion is "pandering to SJWs." Yet somehow you don't seem to think that a lineup of 5 straight white guys would be "pandering" to a different group instead.

Right, I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt for the sake of civility. I imagine now that your opinions have been disproved by facts, it will be much easier for you to simply make accusatory statements. Although I can't blame you entirely for your misinformation, Marvel has been pushing their narrative pretty hard. The reality is that it has nothing to do with gender, race, or ethnicity. Produce a good story with intriguing characters that are developed for your fans and success will follow.

Here's an honest question for you @ Vlad3theImpaler . What is your favorite part about Ms. Marvel (Kamal Khan)? I'd be curious as to what your favorite issue # is and what story arc you like best.

Edited by urloony