Interesting Choices

By CEOWolf, in Marvel Champions: The Card Game

So we got She-Hulk, Spider-Man, Iron Man and Black Panther as playable heroes and Klaw, The Rhino and Ultron as bosses. Also it's interesying to note there are no resources in this game instead your hand is your resource. Also not sure I understand Thwart it seems to be "destroy x doom on agenda where x is thwart value" but bad guys seem to start game with scheme on it and advance per hero in civilian mode. Seems like agendas will progress really fast... I donno but I do like Marvel and hope Dr Strange becomes a playable hero.

Edited by CEOWolf

Have you watched the first gameplay demo? It would answer most of not all of your questions.

Agreed regarding their "interesting choices." They seem a little woke, but that's par for the course considering the current comic book/movie pandering we see from Marvel. She-Hulk has more demand and appeal than Cap for a core set? Give me a break. If this game was released 5 years ago, we'd see Hulk and Cap in there instead of She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel. The game however looks FANTASTIC. While some may not like FFG's cookie cutter approach to game design with their LCG's, I think there is enough change here to make it feel new and different and the deck theming looks great!

Edited by urloony
1 hour ago, urloony said:

Agreed regarding their "interesting choices." They seem a little woke, but that's par for the course considering the current comic book/movie pandering we see from Marvel. She-Hulk has more demand and appeal than Cap for a core set? Give me a break. If this game was released 5 years ago, we'd see Hulk and Cap in there instead of She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel. The game however looks FANTASTIC. While some may not like FFG's cookie cutter approach to game design with their LCG's, I think there is enough change here to make it feel new and different and the deck theming looks great!

Excluding some of the likely “must buy” heroes is wise business sense on the part of the designers, it means you’re going to buy the early expansions.

The hero choices they’ve made for the core are good ones, and expand the appeal rather than keep it narrow; which is an intelligent choice to make.

1 hour ago, urloony said:

What do you find "pandering" about the characters?

1 hour ago, Vlad3theImpaler said:

What do you find "pandering" about the characters?

If you can't see it, I can't help you.

Ok. I'll help you a little. Honestly answer this question. Why is She-Hulk included instead of Hulk?

Edited by urloony
1 hour ago, Derrault said:

Excluding some of the likely “must buy” heroes is wise business sense on the part of the designers, it means you’re going to buy the early expansions.

The hero choices they’ve made for the core are good ones, and expand the appeal rather than keep it narrow; which is an intelligent choice to make.

Meh, maybe. Marvel has no shortage of heroes, so expansion packs will be purchased regardless of who is included in the core pack.

The initial character line up isn't the greatest. Spider-Man and Iron Man are the only characters I'm excited for. She Hulk and Black Panther are meh. Never had strong feelings for the characters one way or the other. Captain Marvel is in the running for my least liked Marvel character.

Looking forward to the Green Goblin villain pack but none of the other announced stuff is all that exciting. I understand the need to sprinkle in less known characters (Miss Marvel) but it would be nice to get a few more big names first.

4 hours ago, Derrault said:

This. Cap and Dr. Strange are my favorite characters, so I'll definitely be shelling out for both of them.

Though I do think the choices for some of the included heroes are a bit odd (and I admit I'm saying that as a person not particularly big on superhero comics).

5 hours ago, urloony said:

I suspect what they are doing is trying to balance big MCU characters with characters who are more popular just from the comics. That way the core has an appeal to movie fans as well as comic fans.

2 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

The initial character line up isn't the greatest. Spider-Man and Iron Man are the only characters I'm excited for. She Hulk and Black Panther are meh. Never had strong feelings for the characters one way or the other. Captain Marvel is in the running for my least liked Marvel character.

Captain Marvel's movie certainly didn't help with that.

I would definitely play Captain Marvel just to push the buttons if my purist friends.

4 hours ago, urloony said:

If you can't see it, I can't help you.

Ok. I'll help you a little. Honestly answer this question. Why is She-Hulk included instead of Hulk?

Because it's a superhero game based on the interactions between civilian identity and superhero identity. Black Panther is the ruler of a nation. Iron Man is a CEO. She-Hulk is a lawyer. Spider-Man is Marvel's everyman. They present interesting fodder to build alter-ego cards around. Perpetual loners and wanderers like the Hulk, Wolverine, and the Punisher are going to have shallower alter-ego options for them.

I do have to agree with you on Captain Marvel, though. Would have loved to have Invisible Woman instead.

The Hulk is in the core set... as an ally.

Also Hulk's alter-ego would be Bruce Banner, which is another scientist lile Peter and Tony.

It is better to havesomething a bit more unique in the core.

Also you may just see it as "pandering" but there are female players. Even as a male, I like female characters. There is mothing wrong with having gender balance (if you consider 2/5 a balance).

As for villains, it makes no sense to blow your load early. And the 3 villains in core have a narrative connection with vibranium. Rhino steals, Klaw sells, and Ultron does something with it.

Frankly I don't read marvel comics very much but I love Dr Strange sadly he HAS no alter ego so can't be playable sadly...

Starting line up is excellent. Spiderman and Iron man are your staples. Panther and Marvel are recent additions into the mainstream awareness of super heroes. She-hulk is a hero not many people know about and its cool to experience new things. If they blew their wad with cap, spidey, stark, hulk, and thor in the core, then we wouldn't get to be hyped when that first cap hero pack drops.

3 hours ago, Zacky Midnight said:

Starting line up is excellent. Spiderman and Iron man are your staples. Panther and Marvel are recent additions into the mainstream awareness of super heroes. She-hulk is a hero not many people know about and its cool to experience new things. If they blew their wad with cap, spidey, stark, hulk, and thor in the core, then we wouldn't get to be hyped when that first cap hero pack drops.

Worse yet, those would all be male characters.

10 hours ago, urloony said:

Honestly answer this question. Why is She-Hulk included instead of Hulk?

To fulfill a certain quota so they don’t get flak from certain groups that really like to get upset and fabricate drama.

16 minutes ago, Bunsenbrenner said:

To fulfill a certain quota so they don’t get flak from certain groups that really like to get upset and fabricate drama.

or because She-Hulk is a member of the Avengers in the comics right now?

17 minutes ago, tronik said:

Are you... Are you bringing logic into an internet debate? That's a bold move 😛

40 minutes ago, Bunsenbrenner said:

...and who won't buy the game anyway.

1 hour ago, tronik said:

Sure, but The Hulk is an original Avenger. First issue mind you! Instead, we have She-Hulk because she's been here five minutes?

17 minutes ago, urloony said:

Sure, but The Hulk is an original Avenger. First issue mind you! Instead, we have She-Hulk because she's been here five minutes?

True, I'd have no problem with the original Avengers, but at least one of them is in the Core Set :)
and I'm sure there would be a lot of people that can not tell you, who the original 5 have been...

I like the mixture (even if personally missing the X-Men, but I'm sure I'll not hav to wait that long).
And hey, the Hero Packs will feature some of the 'should have been included in the core' folks soon, I'm sure ;)

6 hours ago, CEOWolf said:

Frankly I don't read marvel comics very much but I love Dr Strange sadly he HAS no alter ego so can't be playable sadly...

I think they will do Dr Strange and Stephan Strange.

25 minutes ago, urloony said:

She-Hulk has been an Avenger for almost 40 years. Hulk was a member for like 3 issues, and a few times since then. And then a tiny bit in Hickman's run. She is more of an Avenger than him.