Are you guys into HBO's True Blood?

By Max Wax, in 8. AGoT Off Topic

Hi everybody, I wonder if you guys like to watch True Blood on HBO? What do you think about the show??

Yeah, I watched it, and really enjoyed the show. A little disappointed with the season finale, but overall a thumbs up

Oh man, I loved that show. Very good. I'll be starting the first novel later this week, so I can find out what all they changed.

LordofBrewtown said:

Yeah, I watched it, and really enjoyed the show. A little disappointed with the season finale, but overall a thumbs up

What didn't you like in the season finale, if I may ask?

Kennon said:

Oh man, I loved that show. Very good. I'll be starting the first novel later this week, so I can find out what all they changed.

Same here, I love the show. Love the way they re-invented the whole vampire thing - no stupid garlic problem, vampires are visible in mirrors, cross does not burn them. Love that the whole thing is in kinda World of Darkness environment (that there is that whole unknown world out there). And vampires as a minority, their emancipation vs. religious fundamentalism - those issues address and reflect some serious stuff in our socieites. Not to mention so many good lines in the movie. (I even love the accent they speak.)

Hope HBO's adaptation of the A Song of Ice and Fire will be same good.

Who's body you guys think was in detective Andy's car at the end of season finale?

Oh man, I need to rewatch the last episode. I remember so little of what happened now.

Lol, is it strange that one of my main motivations in reading the novels is just to find out why the heck her name is Sookie?

I was disappointed in Lafayette's apparent demise, and generally don't like big skips forward (they didn't really spell it out, but seemed like several weeks/months passed by right at the end).

But yeah, In general, I really like the show/what they've done with the vampire concept

Here is the offical True Blood website, where you can find who is who in the series.

http://www.hbo.com/trueblood/

Here's the tv show and the books compared:

http://bestfantasystories.com/a-comparison-of-true-blood-vs-charlaine-harris-books/

Here's some of the music used in the series:

http://truebloodwiki.hbo.com/page/True+Blood+Music

There was some good wbesite with funny lines from the show, but could not find it, sorry guys.

Wish you all Happy Holidays.

I love this show. I love Terra's character, so wonderfully f-ed up. Her lines from the first two episodes are some of the best I've ever heard ina TV show.

I love Lafeyette's character, and hope he hasn't been killed off.

I'm interested to find out what the deal is with the pig and naked muddy chic.

I'm trying to avoid reading the books until I know how they sync up with the TV show. I hate reading ahead because if it is fresh I end up comparing everything and the book is almost always much better.

Hmm... as this series hasn't aired here in Finland quite yet (and I know very little about it), I'll take this as a possibility to diverge into HBO in general. :)

I've somehow been disappointed by every HBO series I've seen, somehow the pacing seems to be off (too slow sometimes) and they seem to promise a whole lot without ever really delivering it. All the superficial elements are good: visuals, interesting subjects, historical links... but still something is lacking. Possibly it's something to do with the dialog not being witty enough, or the cast consisting of almost interchangeable (usually solely male) characters. Anyone else have strong opinions on this? The shows I've seen several episodes from are: Rome, The Wire, Sopranos, and some others.

This also makes me a bit worried of how HBO will do with making a series of Martin's books, but hopefully the strong books will lend a hand in fixing some of these problems. :)

...on another side note for any vampire fans out there, there's a funny swedish naturalistic vampire movie out there, which portrays vampires in a very interestingly mundane fasion. I think the original name of the film is Låt den Rätte Komma In, and it was translated to finnish as Friends After Dark. Published in 2008. (Not sure how any of you in the stats can go and see this, but felt like mentioning it, since the style seemed to be similar.)