Ewoks ?

By Dark Don, in Star Wars: Legion

Yes, I'm going to be that "moof-milker" and start a rambling about guerilla bears with blasters.

So, any word on Ewok previews at Gen-Con or down the road? 1860129224_ewoikhunter.JPG.5ebdefa575c09559f5e43fce638c459f.JPG

No word, but if the game continues to grow it’s inevitable it will happen at some point.

I doubt we will get anything at GenCon in terms of Ewok specific news. I suspect that Clone Wars gets most of the attention as they get caught up in terms of unit variety.

Realistically, what would they actually do in this game? I guess they could have some trap setting abilities, but that would be weird on any place not a giant forest. They are armed with slingshots and stone spears right?

The designers have said that at some point they would love to do Gungans, Ewoks etc - but these probably won't be for some time. There is loads of content they would likely prioritize - but we will see.

As for "what will they do" - defeat the Empire mostly ;-)

2 hours ago, Dosiere said:

Realistically, what would they actually do in this game? I guess they could have some trap setting abilities, but that would be weird on any place not a giant forest. They are armed with slingshots and stone spears right?

I'd expect them to be horde-like. Low damage output but hard to get rid of, represented as a few speeder-bike sized bases with multiple models and wounds on each base.

Ewok Hunting Party

Unit Size: 3

Health: 3

Courage: 1

Defense: White

Critical 1

Weapon: Spears: Melee: 3W, Slings & Arrows 1-3: 1B

For Heavy upgrade they could get a Ewok Trapper Team, Arm 1: Rope Trap(Place 1 Rope Trap token within range 1 and los of your unit leader, only one Rope Trap token may be placed per Ewok Trapper Team at a time.)

The other Heavy upgrade could be a Ballista or Catapult.

When an enemy unit comes withing range 1 of a Rope Trap token discard it, that unit gains 1 Immobilized Token and 1 Suppression Token.

Perfect for grabbing an objective and running off with it,

7 hours ago, DtLS said:

I'd expect them to be horde-like. Low damage output but hard to get rid of, represented as a few speeder-bike sized bases with multiple models and wounds on each base.

Ewok Hunting Party

Unit Size: 3

Health: 3

Courage: 1

Defense: White

Critical 1

Weapon: Spears: Melee: 3W, Slings & Arrows 1-3: 1B

For Heavy upgrade they could get a Ewok Trapper Team, Arm 1: Rope Trap(Place 1 Rope Trap token within range 1 and los of your unit leader, only one Rope Trap token may be placed per Ewok Trapper Team at a time.)

The other Heavy upgrade could be a Ballista or Catapult.

When an enemy unit comes withing range 1 of a Rope Trap token discard it, that unit gains 1 Immobilized Token and 1 Suppression Token.

Perfect for grabbing an objective and running off with it,

I would suggest a few things; first of all, I don't think I would give them three health. Putting them in par with wookies doesn't sit right.

Second, a spear can be thrown, so you could make their attack melee to range 1, utilizing a spear. This allows an ewok hunter with a bow, range 1-2maybe? I would also make another heavy an ewok bola thrower, range 1, if hits and damages, add an immobilize token.

10 hours ago, Dosiere said:

Be fun to paint and have scurrying around the board seeding chaos? Not everything has to be exactly the same as other units or be 100% unique (ie some overlap is acceptable)

9 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Be fun to paint and have scurrying around the board seeding chaos? Not everything has to be exactly the same as other units or be 100% unique (ie some overlap is acceptable)

Another option I think, would be to make the Ewoks very similar to the commando teams, in that you can have an option to take an upgrade, we will call it Ewok Trapper, that can deploy mine tokens that can add immobilize tokens. This would give ewoks a unique feel, if they are all about immobilizing enemies - something that very few units can do.

Having ewoks as a special forces, one health, 2 courage,

black melee (spear), ranges 1-2 2 white (bow); heavy upgrades trapper (mine with immobilize) and bola with immobilize.

33 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Another option I think, would be to make the Ewoks very similar to the commando teams, in that you can have an option to take an upgrade, we will call it Ewok Trapper, that can deploy mine tokens that can add immobilize tokens. This would give ewoks a unique feel, if they are all about immobilizing enemies - something that very few units can do.

Having ewoks as a special forces, one health, 2 courage,

black melee (spear), ranges 1-2 2 white (bow); heavy upgrades trapper (mine with immobilize) and bola with immobilize.

I’d absolutely play with a unit like that. Would feel great on the home board, and do something interesting.

I am not sure I’d make them take the SF slot though. Maybe light support or corps. You wouldn’t want to take 6x Ewoks anyway but you’re not sacrificing other interesting unit choices like the wookies at that point.

11 hours ago, Dosiere said:

You are 100% correct and there is no valid argument against this.

But I want 800 fracking points of the furballs on the table, and I am one that hated the cutsiness of the Ewoks in the past.

We already have the Endor aesthetic on Leia and Han, the upcoming Luke operative matches as well, Chewbacca doesn’t do wardrobe changes. If we get a cheap Ewok Corp unit, that’d look awesome. I wouldn’t even mind when I inevitably lose to it as Imperials, just because it happened in the movies!

The weird part would be seeing the fuzzballs anywhere but Endor. Unlike the Gungans, Ewoks never left their planet. Then again, Veers and Krennic never met in the movies, and I don’t question it when I have them team up. I’m sure I’d get used to having Ewoks fight on other planets.

51 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I’d absolutely play with a unit like that. Would feel great on the home board, and do something interesting.

I am not sure I’d make them take the SF slot though. Maybe light support or corps. You wouldn’t want to take 6x Ewoks anyway but you’re not sacrificing other interesting unit choices like the wookies at that point.

They certainly could be a corps option, even with what I described. I'd like to think that what I proposed kept the feel from the movies, with out breaking anything. Perhaps infiltrate as well, as ewoks are stealthy.

But I think the most important part of an ewok unit card would be printing the lyrics to the celebration song in the backside.

my fear on this is that by the time it happens power creep will be such that they are broken. to be clear though I don't want them at all

Interesting ideas here for what they might actually be in this game. I never thought of putting them on a large base in a swarm. I'm just trting to wrap my head around it. Im torn between wanting it but also feeling like it just breaks some things narratively if we have a bunch of ewoks running around knee capping death troopers and rolling rocks and tree trunks at every vehicle. Anyway, I think they certainly would look cool and iconic.

14 minutes ago, Tirion said:

my fear on this is that by the time it happens power creep will be such that they are broken. to be clear though I don't want them at all

Then don’t buy them when they come out :)

I have already skipped some of the content that’s out there with no intention of going back to buy it.

But no, I don’t expect them to be broken... at least i hope they won’t be, just as I hope nothing else gets too broken. I’m a little worried about the heroes so far but at least the standard units feel balanced still.

3 hours ago, Tirion said:

I heard that the reason why the Empire lost to them in RotJ is because they are broken...

Those **** power creep Ewoks!

51 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

I heard that the reason why the Empire lost to them in RotJ is because they are broken...

Those **** power creep Ewoks!

that was good lol

that end of trilogy meta was wack!

The only reason I'd buy ewoks, would be to cut their heads off and mount them on spikes.

12 hours ago, GooeyChewie said:

The weird part would be seeing the fuzzballs anywhere but Endor. Unlike the Gungans, Ewoks never left their planet. Then again, Veers and Krennic never met in the movies, and I don’t question it when I have them team up. I’m sure I’d get used to having Ewoks fight on other planets.

*cough* There's an ewok computer hacker in the new canon Solo tie-in novel.

2 minutes ago, DtLS said:

*cough* There's an ewok computer hacker in the new canon Solo tie-in novel.

that makes no sense.

I really enjoyed a lot of the books but some of them......

Edited by Tirion
On 7/28/2019 at 10:52 AM, ScummyRebel said:

No word, but if the game continues to grow it’s inevitable it will happen at some point.

I doubt we will get anything at GenCon in terms of Ewok specific news. I suspect that Clone Wars gets most of the attention as they get caught up in terms of unit variety.

Tell that to me. Someone who waited years for Ewoks to get into IA. Nope. I’m guessing FFG management hates Ewoks.

3 hours ago, DtLS said:

*cough* There's  an ewok computer hacker in the new canon Solo tie-in novel.

3 hours ago, Tirion said:

that makes no sense.

I really enjoyed a lot of the books but some of them......

Explain why that makes no sense? Obviously ewoks are quite intelligent and capable craftsmen. They have cities held aloft in the trees, elaborate traps.

We have seen in return if the Jedi, ewoks learning how to use technology quite quickly.

If it weren't for the natural (giant) predators on their world, I suspect their level of technology would be much higher.

There is also the possibility that they have also chosen not to improve. It is, mainly a colonial mindset that looks on a lower technology culture as “primitive” and lesser. If the ewoks can live in relative safety, provide for themselves, and are happy, why do they need to change?

Perhaps some wished to explore the galaxy after Endor, while others did not.

Why is it hard to believe that a highly intelligent species could learn to operate computers? In, what 7 years (when Last Shot takes place), said ewok could learn.

5 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Why is it hard to believe that a highly intelligent species could learn to operate computers? In, what 7 years (when Last Shot takes place), said ewok could learn.

Last shot takes place 2 years after the battle of jakku which would only put it 3 years after endor

On 7/28/2019 at 9:41 PM, Dosiere said:

That ship sailed on Day One when Luke & Vader were our first commanders.

"Realistically" was how WEG's D6 game worked. We only used Ewoks in special story driven scenarios, or as heroes from RPG crossovers. We also never used Darth Vader et al.

This game is not realistic in its unit choices. It enthusiastically embraces unrealistic choices, according to interviews from the designers.

6 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Explain why that makes no sense? Obviously ewoks are quite intelligent and capable craftsmen. They have cities held aloft in the trees, elaborate traps.

We have seen in return if the Jedi, ewoks learning how to use technology quite quickly.

If it weren't for the natural (giant) predators on their world , I suspect their level of technology would be much higher.

There is also the possibility that they have also chosen not to improve. It is, mainly a colonial mindset that looks on a lower technology culture as “primitive” and lesser. If the ewoks can live in relative safety, provide for themselves, and are happy, why do they need to change?

If there are natural, giant predators on their world capable of squashing or limiting their advancement, then, yeah, I'd say they have ample reason to change.