Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda

By Xcapobl, in Your Settings

Hi all,

I have been thinking about this one a lot. Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda could be quite a nice setting to play in. There are many different species. There are many, many places to visit (as in the Three Galaxies...). Options to go for both grounded adventures and space, as they did in the tv show. There are even a few distinct eras to choose from.

High Guarding it out pre Fall, for example, gallivanting around the galaxy settong wrongs right. Or an EotE-like game set during the Long Night with all manner of scavenge missions, bounty hunting and what not. Maybe even games set during the New Commonwealth era, rebuilding, recruiting old and new worlds while Starship Andromeda itself does the same on the other side of the Three Galaxies. I do have my doubts about the limited scope of the final season though. In my opinion it closed off the series with such a limited scope. And a lot left open as well, of course, like ablank canvas post-final season.

Thoughts, ideas? For example, how to incorporate the Force Lance ruleswise? (Handgun, baton, quarterstaff, and autonomous anti-artillery interception cannon all in one?) Ditch Astronavigation, and introduce Slipstreaming (Will) as a new skill?

Advice not to do any work? 😉

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:44 AM, Xcapobl said:

For example, how to incorporate the Force Lance ruleswise? (Handgun, baton, quarterstaff, and autonomous anti-artillery interception cannon all in one?)

Weapons having a melee and ranged profile isn't too big a deal. The defensive fire option can be modelled by giving it....I dunno, Deflection (? thinking Force and Destiny trait names here). Don't forget the grapnel setting, too....

A big part of the setting is how you want to approach AI characters - specifically where one of the PCs is also the ship.

Weapons, and adding item qualities, shouldn't be the biggest problem indeed. I just happened to mention the Force Lance, because it seems to be able to do so freaking much all by itself. In that one episode where the crew was barricaded in a bar, being assaulted by the Kalderans, the Force Lances were activated, put down, and left alone. Then they intercepted (most of) the incoming Kalderan artillery. Preprogrammed to do so independently of its bearer.

Of course, more of the fabulous technology needs a little thought. When trying to K.I.S.S., one needs to simplify a lot. How about the tech (in those badges) that 'deflects' shots? Add a defense (Ranged) bonus? Simple solution. I think Genesys should be able to handle that perfectly.

Nice to see AI mentioned. Of course, (especially in the Long Night era) an android might simply be disconnected from its ship. But knowing there's an entire community of them, not all androids/AIs need be connected to a ship. And Rommie seems as much capable of independent thought and action from the Andromeda Ascendant as any other crew member, and she even has discussions with 'herself'. One way to handle this, is to have the android/AI under control of the player, and the ship part of it remain under GM control (like a true multiple personality split). Unless you have a very capable player willing to do a bit of work. Imagine one player playing the ship AI, the ship Avatar, and the internal ship holographic interface! 🤣

Most of the basic species are not a problem either. Humans are humans. High-Gravity worlders can be represented by a Strong archetype, for example. Nietzscheans can be divided into three distinct groups (Strong, Agile and Cunning, all survival traits without looking at the Survival skill yet) and divided into their prides. Castalians are humans with underwater breathing, and the need for reverse SCUBA gear when on dry land. And there are many more species of course. Including truly alien species instead of human genetic variants. Than-Thre-Kul as insectoids, Perseids with intellectual capacity, Magog with a voracious apetite. And Nightsiders, Chichin, Kalderans and Umbrites and more.

Edited by Xcapobl
Spelling
31 minutes ago, Xcapobl said:

When trying to K.I.S.S., one needs to simplify a lot. How about the tech (in those badges) that 'deflects' shots? Add a defense (Ranged) bonus? Simple solution. I think Genesys should be able to handle that perfectly.

Yes and no. Highguard ECM specifically affects smart bullets - so it may be worth pointedly making smart bullets a hardpoint upgrade for small arms - guided might be too much work for what's basically mook weapons, but it or a simplified version thereof would fit.

34 minutes ago, Xcapobl said:

I just happened to mention the Force Lance, because it seems to be able to do so freaking much all by itself.

Yeah. It's basically the universal maguffin. Melee weapon, grapnel gear, small arms, tazer, and point defence. Not to mention stun grenade. I guess there's a reason lancers didn't need much else in terms of hardware.