Contact Classes

By kingbobb, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

I've looked in the books a few times, but haven't found anything that describes the classes outside of color (yellow, gray, green). Is there anything that describes them in better terms? (like combat, skill, etc)?

Hi,

Separating the contacts into the three colours means less searching and hunting for a bounty player and makes it easier to locate a specific crew member once you've memerised their colour.

There is no other purpose at the present time that is mentioned in the rules.

1 hour ago, Ancient Virus said:

Hi,

Separating the contacts into the three colours means less searching and hunting for a bounty player and makes it easier to locate a specific crew member once you've memerised their colour.

There is no other purpose at the present time that is mentioned in the rules.

Thanks for confirming :)

I was trying to explain to my almost 6 year old son, hoping to be able to give him more than just colors to go on. For instance, grey could have been political bounties, maybe easier to fight, but likely less reward. I think I was the only one worried about that, he caught on to the color concept fast enough.

Grey's are mostly the starting bounties they are the easiest to fight and do give the lowest rewards. The next level is green, followed with yellow being the hardest.

Edited by Dantk

I mean there is kind of a separation in terms of fighting prowess. Gray contact tokens tend to be the weakest minor characters in Star Wars, or characters that just wouldn't do well in a fight (Ponda Boba, Lobot). Greens are somewhat established (4-Lom, Greedo) and they certainly are not going to be pushovers when you fight them. Yellows are the big names, the tough fighters, or the characters with a lot of resources that are going to make your life miserable for going after them (Chewie, Hera Syndulla, Saw).

Just make sure your 6-year old knows that at the start of the game their character is somewhere between gray and green and maybe that will help?

Also, you might use the colors to your advantage depending on who you are playing as:

For instance,
Jyn recruits Saw for free, so she might want to flip Yellow tokens over hoping to find Saw
Han gets Chewbacca for free, so again might want to flip Yellow tokens looking for Chewie
Lando gets Lobot, who is Gray
IG88 wants droids to achieve his personal goal, and if other players don't have droids to steal you may want to prioritize flipping gray (WED Droid) or green (e.g. 4-LOM) tokens, as I don't think there are any droids in Yellow but I honestly don't remember
etc. ...

If you have a negative Rep and are good at combat, you might want to flip yellow hoping to find Dengar, who is worth 1 Fame if you kill him.

This is all basically meta-knowledge that only comes with multiple plays, but that's about the only way to make use of the colors beyond "my current bounty is this color."

But as others have noted, the contacts are basically scaled this way:
Gray - weakest contacts, worth the least as bounties
Green - mid-range contacts, worth average bounties
Yellow - strongest contacts, worth the most as bounties

It can also be noted that the colors have a number of pips associated with them. Grey, 1. Green, 2. Yellow, 3. Denoting the level of difficulty.

I wonder if this was done to accommodate color-blindness. If so, that is thoughtful design.