AI player movement

By cyberjockey, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

The rules state that the AI moves a number of spaces equal to the ship's hyperdrive value towards the closest goal. But what if the closest goal is fewer spaces away? I know the AI can stop on a planet that is one or two spaces less than the hyperdrive value. For example the starting ship for the AI is the G9 rigger with a hyperdrive value of 6. So it's allowed to move only 4 or 5 spaces to stop on a planet if moving the whole 6 would put in on a navpoint. But what if the goal is only 2 or 3 spaces away? I can't find anywhere in the rules that explains how that works.

It stops at the goal once it reaches it. Where else is it going to go? RR Page 18 "If their space contains a goal token, they do not move"

RR Page 18 "They always move toward the nearest goal token on the map. If their space contains a goal token, they do not move."

Once you reach the nearest goal token and you feel the need to use up all of the AI's movement, just keep hopping on the same space. Moving into another space would be moving away from the nearest goal token.

I did see that in the rules but I guess I was reading too much into it. I thought it was saying that you don't move if there is a goal token in your space at the beginning of the move. But it does make sense the way you two explained it.

BTW, thanks for the quick replies.

I've been keeping an eye on this game.
I'm mostly a solo player.
And the 2 Fetts are next to Vader my favourite SW characters.

I'm getting from this discussion playing Boba Fett vs 1 or more A.I. players would not work very well?

9 hours ago, Darthvegeta800 said:

I've been keeping an eye on this game.
I'm mostly a solo player.
And the 2 Fetts are next to Vader my favourite SW characters.

I'm getting from this discussion playing Boba Fett vs 1 or more A.I. players would not work very well?

A lot of playing the game against the AI comes down to knowing what the AI is most likely to do (buy a job or buy a cargo) and cycling those decks so that it has longer to travel to reach its destination to deliver that cargo or resolve that job. This also slows down the AI credit gain which is their other method of gaining fame.

Slowing down the AI is the key to playing, and that is especially true if you're going to try a Bounty Hunter like Boba Fett. You could probably make the case that he is the best bounty hunter to play the game solo with as he can look at contact token once per turn without encountering it.

Bounty Hunting is slow during solo/2-Player games. Your best bet is to not limit yourself to just using Bounties to gain fame if you're playing a bounty hunter. It just means Boba delivers some illegal cargo here and there, maybe a job comes up and he happens to have the right skill-set for it, etc.

The game is fun enough as a solo experience but I would say the sweet spot is 3/4 players. Even with the Star Wars IP and flavor this game brings I don't know that I would recommend it for purely solo gaming. That being said I am not knowledgeable enough in the "sandbox/pick up and deliver" genre to recommend a solo game that would give this experience better.

Hope that helps a bit.