Encounter card 50 - Rescue from the mines (Step 5)

By BigCookBen, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

Hi

Got a question on the correct order of play for this card, specifically step 5.

The text reads:

"Test Strength. If you pass, complete this job. If you fail, your character suffers 1 damage and repeat this step."

Sooooooooooo..........my questions are...

1) I complete the test and I fail. I suffer 1 damage as per the card. That is ok. I then repeat this same test straight away?

2) If I then try again (straight away) and fail again, I get another damage?

3)Do I then try again?

4) If Yes to Q3, do I keep going until my damage equals my health, at which point I'm then defeated?

5) But if I'm now defeated what happens to encounter card 50? Do I retain it until my next go?

6) If yes to Q5, do I have to start encounter card 50 from the first test again or from step 5 where I was previously?

Sorry that is a loads more questions andd I suspect I am making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Hi,

You continue to repeat the step until you either pass and move on or are defeated.

If defeated you retain the job and can have a go on your next turn as your encounter.

You have to start the job from the beginning on each new attempt.

Hope this helps 😉

Technically you return the card to the databank, however I'm pretty sure nobody would enforce that, because you are the only person who can attempt the job because you have the job card.

But yes, you keep repeating step 1 until passed or you are defeated. On your next turn you will be forced to recover in phase 1, so you can then repeat the job attempt in your next encounter phase, possible picking something up in the market (crew) which could help you pass the test.

Thank you to both onyersix and Ancient Virus for your responses in this- much appreciated

13 hours ago, onyersix said:

Technically you return the card to the databank, however I'm pretty sure nobody would enforce that, because you are the only person who can attempt the job because you have the job card.

But yes, you keep repeating step 1 until passed or you are defeated. On your next turn you will be forced to recover in phase 1, so you can then repeat the job attempt in your next encounter phase, possible picking something up in the market (crew) which could help you pass the test.

The databank deck allows for multiple cards of the same number, so only if it's the only copy can you keep it. Otherwise you should return it for the chance to draw a different one. There may be jobs (maybe in the expansion) that have multiple databank cards linked to them.