"to a minimum of 0"

By thinkbomb, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Very frequently you'll see in various abilities something to the following effect ...

- Reduce the damage by X to a minimum of 0.

Is there a particular reason why they had to include "to a minimum of 0" in all of these rules? As opposed to including a 1-liner rule "you cannot suffer -1 dmg or stm"?

Thanks in advance

Could you quote the full ability text?

Usually when X appears in abilities, it doesn't appear just once, so the limit prevents you from gaming the system.

(Not being able to suffer negative damage or strain does not prevent you from choosing negative X.)

Edited by a1bert
16 minutes ago, a1bert said:

Could you quote the full ability text?

Usually when X appears in abilities, it doesn't appear just once, so the limit prevents you from gaming the system.

(Not being able to suffer negative damage or strain does not prevent you from choosing negative X.)

Had to dig it up on the wiki but I found 1 example ...

Murne - Company of Heroes

"When you deploy a unique ALLLY, reduce its deployment cost by 4 (to a minimum of 0)."

I could swear there's others, but I'm forgetting what they were atm.

The limit means explicitly that the Imperial Player doesn't lose threat if you deploy a unique ally with cost 3 or lower.

Better to be explicit when you can. Sometimes there is no space on the card to be explicit and just rely on the players knowing the rules. It doesn't hurt to be more verbose if you have the space to spend.

1 minute ago, a1bert said:

The limit means explicitly that the Imperial Player doesn't lose threat if you deploy a unique ally with cost 3 or lower.

Better to be explicit when you can. Sometimes there is no space on the card to be explicit and just rely on the players knowing the rules. It doesn't hurt to be more verbose if you have the space to spend.

makes sense. thanks ^^