Starting Bespin Gambit soon, interested in some advice

By Kaiju, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Hi,

I ll be running a Bespin Gambit (and possibly Return to Hoth if it goes well) campaign soon, and I own Core, Return to Hoth, Twin Shadows, a handful of the oldest miniatures (Boba Fett, Royal Guard Champion, Bantha) and Bespin Gambit.

In order to make this campaign as cool as possible, do I need any other products? In particular are the forced mission(s) relevant? I read there is one in the ISB Infiltrator pack, how does it work?

Last but not least, is there anything I would need the App for? I ll be the Imperial player.

The app won't add anything.

The ISB pack includes an extra mission that you can add to the campaign, but I wouldn't call it essential. They are quite a powerful unit though, particularly if the Rebels have a lot of white defence dice characters.

My group found the difficulty level of the missions in Bespin to be very swingy, with a couple that are really really tough for the Rebels if the Imperial player takes maximum advantage of knowing what's coming.

2 hours ago, Kaiju said:

Hi,

I ll be running a Bespin Gambit (and possibly Return to Hoth if it goes well) campaign soon, and I own Core, Return to Hoth, Twin Shadows, a handful of the oldest miniatures (Boba Fett, Royal Guard Champion, Bantha) and Bespin Gambit.

In order to make this campaign as cool as possible, do I need any other products? In particular are the forced mission(s) relevant? I read there is one in the ISB Infiltrator pack, how does it work?

Last but not least, is there anything I would need the App for? I ll be the Imperial player.

Depending on how you feel about playing with tokens vs figures - you may want to get Bossk and Lando and agent Blaise. You could use an elite transdoshan to sub for Bossk, and could use an officer to sub for Blaise, but at a minimum give your players Lando as there is no substitute! :) He appears a few times I think in the missions, and while he isn’t a super strong ally for the rebels, he’s cheap and his abilities are kind of fun. Plus his figure looks cool and unique with his flowing cape.

The named figures associated with this small box (lando, blaise, bossk) are definitely some of the coolest sculpts in the whole game. Not essential, but they really do add a lot.

ISBs are strong units ... but I'm admittedly not much of a fan of their sculpts.

But yeah, like the others said there isn't much in the way of "essentials" for this small box. Any of the other named Bounty Hunters would add to the flair, as would the hired guns.

but yeah, if you're on a budget and are fine with tokens, what you have should be plenty. ^^

On 7/12/2019 at 4:35 PM, Kaiju said:

In particular      are the forced mission(s) relevant? I read       there is  one in the ISB Infiltrator pack, how does it work?  

The forced mission would occur immediately after the second mission of the campaign, before the upgrade stage. It's one of the more difficult missions for the Rebels in the game.

Question for you: what's your experience level with the game? Based on some of your questions it sounds like this will be your first campaign as the Imperial, or maybe first campaign at all. If so, jumping in with a mini-campaign, at least without a learning session, could be a mistake. I always recommend running Aftermath for a group of all new rebels. It's a good mission to learn the basics. After that you're good to shift straight into TS or BG if you want.

Thanks for all the answers so far!

We have played the core box campaign about 5 years ago, and Twin Shadows a year after. I ve used the side missions for the Royal Guard Champion, and the Bantha Rider. I was the Imperial both times (and will be again), one of my players has extensive experience with the skirmish mode as of 3 years ago.

I own the Return to Hoth campaign as well, though I wanted to start smallish and see how interest holds with the new players. We have a TON of board games, but classic 1vAll dungeon crawlers have kind of disappeared recently, it seems.