Forced Learning

By Davorac, in Reference Materials

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new here, so if I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize.

Is the spell Forced Learning discarded even if the spell check wasn't successful? A spell like Withering is worded like "cast and exhaust to...", and it gets exhausted even if the spell check is failed, but Forced Learning is worded i bit differently, "you may cast and discard to...".

If you cast it, you must discard it as part of its cost even if you fail the same you pay sanity for a spell even if you fail it.

p.s. why do everyone ask questions in here? the description of the forum has nothing to do with questions... I always ask them in the main arkham forum...

IIRC the talk about the proto-FAQ, all spells should be "cast and exhaust", those that mention discard only get discarded if you successfully cast them.

Dam said:

IIRC the talk about the proto-FAQ, all spells should be "cast and exhaust", those that mention discard only get discarded if you successfully cast them.

Are sure? because if you only discard them after you pass then you can cast them again and again (given you have enough sanity) because they don't get exhausted.

Can I get a confirmation on this? It makes no sense to me that you can fail a spell check and then attemp to cast it again in the same turn.

kroen said:

Are sure? because if you only discard them after you pass then you can cast them again and again (given you have enough sanity) because they don't get exhausted.

Can I get a confirmation on this? It makes no sense to me that you can fail a spell check and then attemp to cast it again in the same turn.

Cast and exhaust. If you pass the check, then discard the spell. If you don't pass the check, refresh the spell during next upkeep.
I haven't read the proto-FAQ, but Dam's point seems to be quite clear

www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Bless
www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Forced_Learning

No exhaust. Only "cast and discard". Again, it makes zero sense that you can try to cast the same spell in the same turn if you fail the first time.

And don't tell me the Wiki is wrong with the text. I just searched for these cards in my own copy of AH and that's the exact text. No exhaust. You're welcome so see for yourself in your copy of AH. NO EXHAUST.

kroen said:

www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Bless
www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Forced_Learning

No exhaust. Only "cast and discard". Again, it makes zero sense that you can try to cast the same spell in the same turn if you fail the first time.

And don't tell me the Wiki is wrong with the text. I just searched for these cards in my own copy of AH and that's the exact text. No exhaust. You're welcome so see for yourself in your copy of AH. NO EXHAUST.

I said DAM had said this. Never mentioned Arkham wiki. He said in the PROTO-FAQ it's written this. Probably (certainly) overcoming the bad wording of some cards.

kroen said:

p.s. why do everyone ask questions in here? the description of the forum has nothing to do with questions... I always ask them in the main arkham forum...

Why are you doing the same? Do not point out other forum users mistakes regarding the section when you're the first to do the same

What? I've never asked a question in this forum.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll play with it as if it said "cast and exhaust, if you pass, discard to gain a skill". That is the only interpretation that makes any sense to me.