What's this Weapon?

By Archpaladin Zousha, in Rules Questions

With having L5R on the brain, I've been deep-diving into Japanese-inspired media and was curious about this weapon, used by the Corrupted Monk in the recent game Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice .

https://attackofthefanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/corrupted-monk-sekiro.jpg

Is this a naginata? A bisento? A zanbato? My first instinct is a nagamaki, but I'm not sure if there's no rules for those. I only have the Corebook, though, so if it was introduced in one of the subsequent books, please let me know!

9 minutes ago, Archpaladin Zousha said:

With having L5R on the brain, I've been deep-diving into Japanese-inspired media and was curious about this weapon, used by the Corrupted Monk in the recent game Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice .

https://attackofthefanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/corrupted-monk-sekiro.jpg

Is this a naginata? A bisento? A zanbato? My first instinct is a nagamaki, but I'm not sure if there's no rules for those. I only have the Corebook, though, so if it was introduced in one of the subsequent books, please let me know!

Looks like a big nagamaki.

No stats for those yet in 5e. But according to the weapon in the picture, I'd say the Zanbato stats would be best suited.

Edit; the errata version of the zanbato, which is better.

Edited by Avatar111

Thank you, both of you! I wonder if they'll include the nagamaki in a future book? I mean, the Mantis supplement had some new weapons favored by them besides the kama...

Possibly, they add a few new weapons each time with the clan books so far. Probably Lion, they're known for their 2h swords.

Thanks again for all your suggestions! I had another question, this time regarding yari:

There are multiple types of yari in history, and I'm wondering if they can all be represented by the basic yari in the Corebook, especially since there are a number of polearms from other places besides Japan, such as the Chinese ji and bisento (which I assume is a guan dao). Would the jumonji and chidori-jumonji yari be better represented by the trident, for example? Would the kama yari be better represented by the ji? And how would you represent the long-bladed omi yari, which looks like it could be used to cut as well as thrust?

Thanks again, this time in advance, for your YARI-MAZING advice!

The trident description is a bit of a disservice, making it sound like a peasant tool, but yeah functionally it's the same as the jumonji yari. Kamayari is actually in the new book Courts of Stone IIRC.

22 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

The trident description is a bit of a disservice, making it sound like a peasant tool, but yeah functionally it's the same as the jumonji yari. Kamayari is actually in the new book Courts of Stone IIRC.

Except it isnt under the Polearm category in the sourcebook. But that is logically what it should be I suppose. Same as the chain-dagger weapon should be melee, not ranged.

Details though.

Between yari, trident and ji, only with the corebook you can imagine pretty much all kinds of long spears.

Though the game would need a one handed spear... Especially since shadowland book mentions spear+shield combo.