anyone ever experiment with smaller total squad cost?

By Mandalore of the Rings, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

So my own kids and some kids from 2 other families have suddenly gotten into the IA app. Good times. They want to try skirmish too and I was wondering if I limited it to 25 or 30 pts total for each of their squads if that would make for a fun Jr Tournament. I know it would mess up balance a lot but it might be kind of fun.

Anyone else ever do this? We might have 7 under 12's in our first Jr Tourney!

I haven't, but that does seem like a good way to introduce someone to the game in a way that might be less overwhelming.

10 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

So my own kids and some kids from 2 other families have suddenly gotten into the IA app. Good times. They want to try skirmish too and I was wondering if I limited it to 25 or 30 pts total for each of their squads if that would make for a fun Jr Tournament. I know it would mess up balance a lot but it might be kind of fun.

probably better off not using the command cards. 40 pts isn't that much unless you're having a hard time getting models for everyone.

The command cards is what tends to make things more difficult/complex for a 7 year old (or my 5 year old).

it's probably worth a shot. We haven't tried it either.

9 hours ago, buckero0 said:

probably better off not using the command cards

I actually thought of this but it just takes out such a huge part of the game and also makes a lot of figures dumb (like R2, Chopper etc) and takes away any motivation for the terminals... Good idea for just teaching them I guess...

I think they can handle the rules, I'm just looking to make it faster... so I'm thinking of letting them have 26pts to spend each, and 10pts and 10 cards for CCs. We'll try it out anyway... I'm excited to see what I can come up with for 26 pts...

I'm thinking Mercs with:

Onar (6),

Hondo (6),

Greedo (4),

eJawa (3),

Chopper (3),

and Bt-1 (6) looks like it would pack a great punch. Rebels also have a lot of good cheap figures...

I guess if you just use the cheapest stuff it still keeps the activations high (which makes it longer) BUT it would still be faster since most of these kinds of figures can be taken out pretty fast. Then again, I guess anyone can be taken out pretty fast with all the queen pieces in the current meta...

Kind of depends on how much sharing is going on. If 6 people are sharing one set of command cards it can get a little imbalanced if one guy gets Assassinate and On the Lam and someone else gets less etc

On 7/3/2019 at 5:06 AM, Mandelore of the Rings said:

Cool!

If game time and attention span is a factor, then I agree with you that limiting Deployment points to 30 might be the best. I'd recommend letting everybody have the same 10 cards in their deck; cards that work for Any Figure, offensive and defensive. The FFG mini-card sleeves aren't that expensive for a pack of 50; you can print any cards you don't have and slide them into the sleeve in front of another card.

You might also want watch the list building carefully and make sure nobody is too loaded up with pre-Jabba's Realm figures. With less Deployment activation, there will be less damage output per round; this means the older figures that are behind on the power curve will especially drag the player behind. You might want to give those players a special handicap where each of their deployments (not figures) gains 1 Damage Power Token to distribute.

Let us know how it goes!

Edited by cnemmick
38 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

I'd recommend letting everybody have the same 10 cards in their deck; cards that work for Any Figure, offensive and defensive.

I like this idea, but some of the figures like Jedi Luke would really miss out. Maybe I'll come up with 8 cards the same for everyone and 2 uniques in each group.

Yes, we lean heavily into proxies! Plenty of everything for everyone!

I'm also going to have a rule where everyone can move their speed after deployment and before starting to speed things up a bit. Possibly.

So if a skirmish is a small battle, what would these even smaller clashes be called? Rumbles? Ruckuses? Kerfuffles? IA Altercation? :) Gotta come up with a good name for our mini-skirmish tournament...

On 7/5/2019 at 2:17 AM, Mandelore of the Rings said:

I'm also going to have a rule where everyone can move their speed after deployment and before  starting to speed things up a bit. Possibly.

So if a skirmish is a small battle, what would these even smaller clashes be called? Rumbles? Ruckuses? Kerfuffles? IA Altercation? :) Gotta come up with a good name for our mini-skirmish tournament...

Scuffle

Nice. Imperial Assault Scuffle.

First inaugural Scuffle Tournament in the fall. It kind of sounds like a table top skill game though, like Foosball or Shuffleboard or air hockey or something.

I kinda like the german Krawall. IA Krawall.

IA Brawl

Had a bit of an IA Brawl/IA Scuffle/Krawall last night. 4 players... The ratios are all a bit wacked. With only 10 CCs if you get a 3 point card it takes up a 3rd of your points. Then again if it is an important one you should have a very good chance of getting it.

We squeezed in a 2 vs 2 game on Coruscant back alleys with some switched up doors and immediately got to the fun part-- brawling.