Fastred and Durin's Bane

By Alonewolf87, in Rules questions & answers

In playing today's RingsDB daily challenge (playing Shadown and Flame with a Fastred deck) I came across this situation. Let's say it's the combat phase, I am at 1 threat, with Durin's Bane in the staging area and another enemy engaged. I deal to both of them the shadow cards in threat order (since right now Durin's Bane is considered engaged with me) then in the Enemy Attacks step I defend first the engaged enemy with Fastred (since I can choose the order in which enemies attack), sending it back to the staging area and reducing my threat to 0 with Fastred's ability. Will Durin's Bane attack me in that combat phase? I would think not since it should not be able to attack me anymore by its own effect, but it seemed a bit too convenient so I wanted to check.

Edited by Alonewolf87

You are correct. As the FAQ (on Light in the Dark) puts it:

The only step in which the enemy needs to be engaged with the attacked player is step 1 of the Combat phase.

[ed.: RR step 6.4b]

Lowering your threat to 0 in any way, Fastred included, before hitting 6.4b for Durin's Bane will mean Durin's Bane is no longer considered engaged with you and thus will not attack. It's roughly analogous to playing A Light in the Dark on a regular enemy prior to its associated 6.4b—the fact you dealt it a shadow card is immaterial.

Edited by sappidus

This is good to know, I guess I would have defended Durin's Bane in that case.

Another way to do this is to use spirit beregond. In multiplayer, he can also defend the first durin's bane attack on the other person's side, lower your threat, and that disengages him on your side.

1 hour ago, player3351457 said:

Another way to do this is to use spirit beregond. In multiplayer, he can also defend the first durin's bane attack on the other person's side, lower your threat, and that disengages him on your side.

Yeah (even though is conditional on Beregond not getting damage), but what was interesting about this situation in solo was that basically by always keeping a weak enemy engaged for Fastred to defend as first enemy I could continue to avoid any attack from Durin's Bane, which was definitely a boon.

3 hours ago, player3351457 said:

That only works when they're the first player, though. 😕

Beregond lowers threat for the defending player, not for his own controller, so I don't see how he'd work.

He'd work by first defending another enemy engaged with him, like Fastred would.

True, I was just questioning how he could work by defending against Durin's Bane as suggested above.