Tweaking the Worldly Ronin for the Eyes of Nanashi

By MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving, in Houserules

I just concluded the first arc of my first game using the 5e rules, and the Eyes of Nanashi were a huge part of the plot. The players seemed to really like them. One of them asked if she could takeover a specific NPC member of the Eyes if her character dies (which at the time seemed very likely). One of them wants to replace his old character with a ronin (who I'm guessing will be a member of the Eyes). I'm going to play off this interest and keep Nanashi Mura as a focus. There are other ronin in the city (and elsewhere) who I will continue to use the normal rules for, but ideally the Eyes would be a little distinct, which I'd like to represent with some tweaks to the World Ronin school. I plan on there being just one school for the Eyes of Nanashi and the Voice of Nanashi/Master of Games.

Broad concept-wise, I want the school to:
1. Be good at games and capable of leveraging games socially,
2. Have above average non-lethal combat options (as per their techniques in previous editions and so as to not have to kill clan samurai),
3. Have at least decent access to dueling techniques (previous editions had a Nanashi Duelist path), and
4. Not be radically different enough that I should be playtesting it first.

Here are some more specific thoughts on mechanics:
1. Keep the same school ability.
2. Games needs to be a starting skill, but I'm not sure what to swap out.
3. Swap out the starting shuji options for different 1st level ones that use Games (Courts of Stone seems like it has a ton of good choices).
4. Swap out Pelting Hail as a starting technique (since they're not known for archery) for Coiling Serpent Strike (because it's a good non-lethal option).
5. Swap out Open Hand Style at rank 1 for Artisan's Appraisal (to represent them learning about people over Games), and
6. Swap out Iron Forest Style at rank 2 (since they're not known for using polearms) for one of the Iaijutsu Cuts (so they get a dueling tech and the normal level).

Also, if they choose the Peasant families as their family, they can swap out one of the Trade skills for Games (and probably get a small boost to glory and wealth).

How does this strike you?

I had to look up the Eyes of Nanashi: https://l5r.fandom.com/wiki/Eyes_of_Nanashi

For anyone else who doesn't know about them: "The Eyes of Nanashi were a local otokodate in Nanashi Mura who regulated all local affairs under the direction of a village headman and the appointed Dragon magistrate. With the assistance of a band of sohei from the Temple of Ebisu they also policed the village. The Eyes were supported via a special fund collected weekly from the major businesses in Nanashi Mura."

Apparently, there are several organized bands of ronin like the Eyes: https://l5r.fandom.com/wiki/Otokodate

Cool stuff.

Edited by DanGers