Adorned Barcha

By werdna720, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

Two questions came up during a local play night.

1) When the character with Adorned Barcha has Pacifism on it, can it still use the Barcha's ability to 'move into a MIL conflict' and bow something in that conflict?

I understand it might function a bit like Crisis Breaker where the game state does change with the first part of the effect (Readying for the Crisis Breaker) and the second part need not happen (Moving to the conflict). Wanting to confirm.

2) When a character with a - in Military has the Adorned Barcha attached, can you use the Barcha to 'move into a MIL conflict' and bow something in that conflict even if the attached character supposedly cannot participate in a MIL conflict?

This one seems odd to me because of harpoon rules around characters with dashes in skill for the relevant conflict. I understand LPB can bow characters with a - in MIL, but characters that can harpoon (e.g. Yogo Hiroue) cannot harpoon into conflicts for which the desired character target has a -.

I can see the Yogo Hiroue comparison case actually providing some support for Q1's viability since the Barcha has a 2-part effect that does change the game state in the first part while Hiroue's effect is only a single effect (harpoon).

Anyway, just wanted to sanity check. Searched for Barcha in here, but did not find a thread yet.

Edited by werdna720

There is no thread. You are sane. :)

Action: During a MIL conflict in which attached character is not participating, choose a participating character - bow that character and move attached character to the conflict.

The 'bow a character' is not dependent on the attached character moving. (It would be written as "move attached character to the conflict. Then, bow a character")

Therefore, an Adorned Barcha that is attached to a character that also has Pacifism attached, or has a dash MIL skill, can be used to bow a character in a MIL conflict.
The attached character is prevented from moving into the conflict.

Edited by Bayushi Shunsuke

Since its new I don't think we've seen rulings yet on it, but the can't effects should trump the can and since one effect is not reliant on the other you should be able to resolve part with out the other resolving. In the case of Cannot Participate they specifically state that effects cannot be used to move those characters into a conflict. And Hiroru deals with the - rulling that you can't harpoon them into the wrong conflict type.

That said, could you please remove [Ruling] from the subject line of this thread.
I use [Ruling] to indicate threads that have official responses to questions submitted to FFG.
I don't want to have unofficial answers from us, the players, to be confused as official rulings.

Updated thread title. And thank you for the responses!