[IACP] Season 1 Voting Concluded! Results Within.

By cnemmick, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

6 hours ago, DerBaer said:

For a long time, it was my job to create surveys, that get the results I wanted (or my customer wanted). Asking the questions in the right way, choosing the right participants. Choosing the right threshold values. A lot of math noone understands. Stuff like that.

You're selling this survey as a big success. "TL,DR, everything we did was approved." For me ... I think you asked the right questions to the right people.

The Chinese Government gets full approval on every election, too. Do you think, that is good or bad?

Being pretty good in math, let me tell you, that some of of your fixes are not even on your own power curve. (I don't even like your reference points.) From everyone, that is able to use a calculator, you shouldn't have gotten full approval. At least some of the fixes shouldn't have been approved.

All those "*sigh*"- and "Jeez"-comments e.g. by Majushi got rid of many of your critics. They killed any real criticism.

All those "Yeah, we're doing that behind closed doors. Just wait and see."-comments got rid of some more critics.

Let me tell you: The critics are your most important feed back group. You got rid of them.

And then, you asked the right questions in the right way.

These results are not the approval of THE community, but of YOUR community. Actually, they prove nothing.

That makes me a little sad. I had high hopes for IACP project.

As someone who has no affiliation whatsoever with the IACP, I have to ask - um, what?? Is this comment at all helpful?

You seem to be implying that the IACP steering committee intentionally designed this survey in such a way that it told them what they "wanted" to hear. Just think about that for a second. Why would they do that?

Secret IACP Steering Committee Master Plan (Confidential)

Step 1: Change imperial assault skirmish in a way that suits us

Step 2: Convince the dozens, nay, perhaps SEVERAL HUNDRED people worldwide who might play IA without FFG support that we are correct by posting nefariously misleading surveys. (Insert evil laugh here)

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit? World domination???

Haha I'm not trying to make light of your comment (well, not completely) but I seriously just don't understand where you're coming from. What do you mean by "YOUR" community vs "THE" community? Since before this began they've done nothing but ask for feedback over and over. Here, on the big facebook group, on every IA podcast under the sun. Exactly how do you propose that they reach THE community at large that they haven't already tried? ****, they have asked the community for suggestions on how to improve the surveys themselves . This does not sound like the work of madmen bent on total IA domination, but rather a group of people taking real time out of their lives to do the best they are able to keep the game we love alive.

As for smothering criticism, if someone who's not even affiliated with the project saying "*sigh*" on a message board is enough to counter whatever point a person is making, I'd have to ask how good a point it was to begin with. Not to mention the fact that this voter feedback survey had a place at the bottom for comments about what you might like to see, and the IACP published each one of those suggestions in their feedback report. If there are any great ideas out there waiting to be found, wouldn't that have been a great place to put them so that the community could later vote?

So if you have suggestions for how to fix IA, let's hear them! If you have suggestions for how to better solicit or tally community feedback, let's hear those! And sure, I guess if you just want to complain and be sad, you're welcome to do that, too :P

8 minutes ago, ManateeX said:

Thematically I like changes like this (except the Jabba one, personally) but the problem with doing this in a competitive game is similar to the problem we talked about earlier with raising costs on things like eQuays. If you remove focus from Mercs and especially Rebels, two factions who have had all of their units designed around having it since day 1, who's going to stop Vader? You'd end up with competitive tournaments being imperial lists as far as the eye can see.

Now you can say that these figures giving out focus shouldn't have been so powerful to begin with, and I agree with you on that (as would, I'd wager, the designers of the game in retrospect) but the fact is that, as it stands today, the figures that we have have been built with freely available focus in mind. You can't just get rid of it wholesale without completely changing the game balance (and tilting it towards the faction that doesn't rely on focus). Also, the Doubt card has helped to reduce the "sit back behind cover and focus your whole army" strategy that some people didn't like - if focus ends up still being a problem, I think going that route is probably a better way to do it. Maybe add some ways to remove conditions, but limit them to the rebel army or something like that to prevent imperial abuse?

This is a fair minded response to potential problems. I think Gideon gives an awful lot for 3 points, but I doubt there'd much stomach for raising his cost. I think a mystery token gives the rebels more functionality than purely a focus dice. Those tokens didn't exist when Gideon's skirmish card was written, but then, what Gideon does for the group in Campaign was transferred into competitive skirmish to much greater effect that it was probably meant to have, especially as more and more 3 attack dice characters came on scene. I see what you are saying though, and it makes sense. Maybe make C3PO only focus Droids .

Just now, Rikalonius said:

This is a fair minded response to potential problems. I think Gideon gives an awful lot for 3 points, but I doubt there'd much stomach for raising his cost. I think a mystery token gives the rebels more functionality than purely a focus dice. Those tokens didn't exist when Gideon's skirmish card was written, but then, what Gideon does for the group in Campaign was transferred into competitive skirmish to much greater effect that it was probably meant to have, especially as more and more 3 attack dice characters came on scene. I see what you are saying though, and it makes sense. Maybe make C3PO only focus Droids .

Yeah, I really wish they had something like the ? tokens when the game was released. Just imagine a world where taking these support characters was an interesting choice to make vs something that they had to subsequently balance a whole faction around.

47 minutes ago, Rikalonius said:

Maybe make C3PO only focus Droids .

Oooh. I like this idea! Simple. Elegant... Gids can only focus Rebels and 3PO only droids.

7 hours ago, DerBaer said:

Let me tell you: The critics are your most important feed back group. You got rid of them.

I'm a bit confused by this contention. There's quite a bit of criticism in this thread and in all the threads I see on the subject. Most of the changes were in the 60-70% approve range, meaning 30-40% disapproved. While I don't have access to the results, I'll assume at least some them provided additional feedback expressing that disapproval.

Who exactly would 3po be focusing if his ability only applies to droids?

@Jaric256 thanks for the kind words!

13 hours ago, Jaric256 said:

I've shared this before, but the Clawdite is the perfect candidate to step into the void in support roles that will be created by removing Gideon.

I agree: Buffing the Conspire ability on the Clawdites would make it easier for Mercenary players if Gideon was changed. When a Regular Clawdite is giving out at least 2 power tokens per round for the same price as Gideon + Temporary Alliance, that could be considered a real option -- especially where Doubt can only remove one of the two power tokens distributed. I don't think the Steering Committee has room for addressing Clawdites in this Season -- we're shooting for about 20-25 changes, and there are some fixes that we feel are more urgent and less invasive. But we will have Clawdites on the list for potentially being in Season 3 or in line with any change we make to Gideon.

8 hours ago, DerBaer said:

You're selling this survey as a big success. "TL,DR, everything we did was approved." For me ... I think you asked the right questions to the right people.

We're happy to listen to constructive criticism about the project. And we have received criticism, not just from you or other members of this message board; many of our playtesters have passionate concerns in every step of the project. The Steering Committee has been sharing what we hear in our blog posts on the website , even when the criticism is shared by just a handful of players.

In fact, we have already published concerns others have shared with us about selection bias in the vote. In the Season 1 Feedback post, we mention that for Season 2, we're evaluating changes to make in the final community approval vote so that we can gather better data on voter's agreement with approval. We wouldn't have thought to address this if it wasn't for several of our players speaking up concerns about selection bias.

1 hour ago, ManateeX said:

Secret IACP Steering Committee Master Plan (Confidential)

Step 1: Change imperial assault skirmish in a way that suits us

Step 2: Convince the dozens, nay, perhaps SEVERAL HUNDRED people worldwide who might play IA without FFG support that we are correct by posting nefariously misleading surveys. (Insert evil laugh here)

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit? World domination???

DEFINITELY not profit. 🤣

13 minutes ago, cnemmick said:

DEFINITELY not profit. 🤣

I see that comments on world domination are suspiciously absent... :ph34r:

2 hours ago, cnemmick said:

@Jaric256 thanks for the kind words!

And thank you for all the work you guys are doing!

On 7/24/2019 at 9:47 PM, Jaric256 said:

Who exactly would 3po be focusing if his ability only applies to droids?

Chopper and R2 of course! Actually, that's valid. He'd be pretty useless that way... Even if an eJawa brought him in to Mercs there aren't many options... BT-1 and Iggy are already automatically focused... Leave him as is I guess.

Way too late of course. But can I just put some retroactive additional votes in for for fixed Nexu, Wampa, and RGC? Yesyesyes! : )

12 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

Chopper and R2 of course! Actually, that's valid. He'd be pretty useless that way... Even if an eJawa brought him in to Mercs there aren't many options... BT-1 and Iggy are already automatically focused... Leave him as is I guess.

No one expects a focused MHD attack!

😁

A focused R2 finished off my Rancor in one (casual) tournament game. That was funny!

yeah, I finished off a AT-DP with a focused R2 ftw at a tournament. Funny stuff.

Focused R2 isn't that bad an attack for 3 point support figure.