That Crab Deck

By twinstarbmc, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Gateway, Taka, Eager Scout, Yasuki Broker, Talisman of the Sun, Prayers to Ebisu, Vanguard Warrior, Levy.

https://fiveringsdb.com/strains/15acc716-956a-11e9-804d-22d334ba48b8/view

Well, I faced against it. And it hurt. It took me from 22 honor down to 0 in a single conflict. Every deck I ever make from now on is going to have all the attachment hate and blanking effects I can possibly find. Everyone should play this deck until Gateway to Meido goes on the RL. You know it will.

Chasing the sun and Iuchi wayfinder.

Scouting, never attack until you found GtM.

Unicorn would be the most able to play around that Combo.

Unicorn splash in seeker decks for other clans.

Crane may use cautious scout again. But Assassination...

Thing is, decks playing that Combo have already refined the way crab is crabbing and refined the ability to filter your dynasty with staple card Satoshi to get keepers, sac targets and Karada.

It's 70% the old strong deck plus that crazy combo that we can only applaude and yet complain about as unfun.

And good crab players are now well trained to put their pieces in motion.

First Rocket of the history of the game.

The RL tried to shake things but it shouldn't have been Spyglass. It should have been Miya Satoshi.

Guess he couldn't go on the RL as he is intended for the upcoming imperial themed decks to function.

It failed to push Unicorn splash away from crab for diversity as the deck and combo success is higly dependent on Talisman of the Sun.

13 hours ago, Nitenman said:

Chasing the sun and Iuchi wayfinder.

Scouting, never attack until you found GtM.

Unicorn would be the most able to play around that Combo.

Unicorn splash in seeker decks for other clans.

Crane may use cautious scout again. But Assassination...

Thing is, decks playing that Combo have already refined the way crab is crabbing and refined the ability to filter your dynasty with staple card Satoshi to get keepers, sac targets and Karada.

It's 70% the old strong deck plus that crazy combo that we can only applaude and yet complain about as unfun.

And good crab players are now well trained to put their pieces in motion.

First Rocket of the history of the game.

The RL tried to shake things but it shouldn't have been Spyglass. It should have been Miya Satoshi.

Guess he couldn't go on the RL as he is intended for the upcoming imperial themed decks to function.

It failed to push Unicorn splash away from crab for diversity as the deck and combo success is higly dependent on Talisman of the Sun.

I don't think that Satoshi really synergyses with an imperial theme, because he is much better with few imperial cards he can fetch. Other than that I agree with you.

3 hours ago, Ignithas said:

I don't think that Satoshi really synergyses with an imperial theme, because he is much better with few imperial cards he can fetch. Other than that I agree with you.

I agree Ishikawa wants to flood the board with other Imperials, Satoshi wants minimal numbers so he can filter to the key ones asap.

I don't think you want Chasing the Sun because that will move you in blind, and only leaves you the option of ejecting after you've been moved by Talisman.

Iuchi Wayfinder and Peasant's Advice are my go to province scouting cards. PA is seriously underrated. That card does some serious work when it counts

Yep, I was also thinking Kyuden Bayushi splash Unicorn focused on abusing covert sources, ready with KB (PA is perfect) and Gaijin Customs and destroy provinces without fights or opponents.

CTS would be a 1x or 2x if seeker is better than keeper.

Edited by Nitenman

How long does this deck take to get going? It looks rather slow.

1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

How long does this deck take to get going? It looks rather slow.

Typically it can be up and running by turn 3 or 4. With the Levy dishonor engine it then kills you on the turn it goes live.

Assuming you don't have enough fate to give them instead of honor to kill themselves through milling.

They are running Prayers to Ebisu if they are planning the Levy kill so every time you give them 3 fate you pay for them to cancel the dishonor from the mill

Other options that stop the engine: Command Respect and Gossip. Just have to get through the Crab's Defend Your Honor first.

53 minutes ago, GM81 Protocol Droid said:

Other options that stop the engine: Command Respect and Gossip. Just have to get through the Crab's Defend Your Honor first.

Gossip and Command Respect only stall the combo for turn and they can still defend the province like Crab normally would and just start it up next turn.

4 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Gossip and Command Respect only stall the combo for turn and they can still defend the province like Crab normally would and just start it up next turn.

Very true. You still have to break it the turn you stall it. Which can be very tough since it is Crab defending.

12 hours ago, GM81 Protocol Droid said:

They still get so much value out of looping Venguard Warrior, so you don't die on the spot, but the game is pretty much lost.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:04 AM, Schmoozies said:

They are running Prayers to Ebisu if they are planning the Levy kill so every time you give them 3 fate you pay for them to cancel the dishonor from the mill

So it actually looks like all that's needed is to restrict Prayers2Ebisu to halt this loop.

Or remove the reshuffle rule.

2 minutes ago, Simplegarak said:

So it actually looks like all that's needed is to restrict Prayers2Ebisu to halt this loop.

NO the easy fix is make Meido an action. One use per turn and you've killed the loop without effecting cards that are beneficial to the environment and were meant as a safety valve against dishonor decks that are super powerful right now.

Honestly I dont understand why meido wasnt made an action. I also dont understand hownit passed playtesting the way it is now

2 hours ago, RafaelNN said:

Honestly I dont understand why meido wasnt made an action. I also dont understand hownit passed playtesting the way it is now

I think the answer to that traces back to the issue I've been seeing with a lot of play test power balance issues coughscoprion/crabcough.

4 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

NO the easy fix is make Meido an action. One use per turn and you've killed the loop without effecting cards that are beneficial to the environment and were meant as a safety valve against dishonor decks that are super powerful right now.

I'm really surprised it wasn't an action. Infinite eager scouts does sound like fun, though.

Like I said: or remove the reshuffle rule. Then you have design space revolving around how the clans handle an emptied deck.

My guess is Meido wasn't tested with a Crab sac deck. I think it would be fine as is in a "standard" deck but it is this specific combo that makes it nuts. That is why it isn't an Action because it is fine as is in most decks.

16 hours ago, Simplegarak said:

It still generates so much value that you won't come back from.

16 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

This makes Meido unplayable, but would fix the problem.

5 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

My guess is Meido wasn't tested with a Crab sac deck. I think it would be fine as is in a "standard" deck but it is this specific combo that makes it nuts. That is why it isn't an Action because it is fine as is in most decks.

I think that it was with the sac deck in mind. Tyler is pushing the sac theme in this cycle and the restrictions (void, not on your SH) makes it obviously unplayable in everything that isn't Crab.

24 minutes ago, Ignithas said:

I think that it was with the sac deck in mind. Tyler is pushing the sac theme in this cycle and the restrictions (void, not on your SH) makes it obviously unplayable in everything that isn't Crab.

Well lion and unicorn would use it seeing as they allready use recursion from the discard pile. Infact most decks that run Miya satoshi could make use of it as well.

1 hour ago, Jamadman said:

Well lion and unicorn would use it seeing as they allready use recursion from the discard pile. Infact most decks that run Miya satoshi could make use of it as well.

Are they using it? Atm I don't think Lion and Unicorn can both float fate reliably and generate enough value through their characters to justify the void slot. And they can't really defend it, especially Lion without Talisman (in theorie you can Play Talisman, but it makes your deck worse).

Atm only Crab Plays Miya Satoshi, so you are technically right on that one.

5 hours ago, Ignithas said:

Atm only Crab Plays Miya Satoshi, so you are technically right on that one.

I still run Miya Satoshi out of Unicorn. Digging for Toturi and Tetsuko is important and getting some extra characters in the discard for Cav Reserves is still a good play.....however most of the reporting of Unicorn decks makes me believe this isn't the norm. Which I think is a mistake.

20 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I still run Miya Satoshi out of Unicorn. Digging for Toturi and Tetsuko is important and getting some extra characters in the discard for Cav Reserves is still a good play.....however most of the reporting of Unicorn decks makes me believe this isn't the norm. Which I think is a mistake.

I tested with a Unicorn player and for HMT I don't think that Miya Satoshi fits. If you buy him t1-t2, you lose too much preasure. And in HMT you need to preasure your oponent as early as possible, because without Djinn you pretty much lose any attricion battle.