Just update the app

By markrivett, in X-Wing Squad Builder

No one is playing with the old points. Literally every X-Wing player on earth is using alternative squad builders for their local games. Because of Barnes and Noble, many players already have new ships in hand. Because of the conversion kits, many players already have all the ships that were previously not hyperspace legal.

18 minutes ago, markrivett said:

Is there some sort of convoluted business reason for updating the app in conjunction with a retail release? If so, it is wrong.

The only reason I can think of it that the old points would need to be used for any of the high level organized play events going on between now and release. Those events would require the use of the old points.

4 minutes ago, papy72 said:

The only reason I can think of it that the old points would need to be used for any of the high level organized play events going on between now and release. Those events would require the use of the old points.

According to the schedule, the only major event that I can find is Madrid.

Fantasy Flight can just update the app Monday and not impact any major events.

EDIT: And frankly, I'd be interested to see an exit poll of Madrid players who would have preferred to have a June 24 app update with a week's practice instead of slamming into a top 8 stacked with Rebel Beef and Quad Phantoms.

Fantasy Flight: "Our points updates will improve and balance the game! But not quiiiiiiit yet..."

Edited by markrivett
28 minutes ago, markrivett said:

No one is playing with the old points. Literally every X-Wing player on earth is using alternative squad builders for their local games. Because of Barnes and Noble, many players already have new ships in hand. Because of the conversion kits, many players already have all the ships that were previously not hyperspace legal.

Is there some sort of convoluted business reason for updating the app in conjunction with a retail release? If so, it is wrong.

Has the app encountered development issues? If so, be transparent about it.

I cannot fathom why Fantasy Flight would wait to update a game whose players (customers) are incredibly enthusiastic about. Just update the app.

There is a lot to complain about with the official squad-builder that they keep the points lists until the date new points lists actually go into effect is not one of them. Part of the point of an official app is not having to worry about having the correct points. The points changes aren't official yet. As you note other squad builders have made the new points available. Use one of those.

Yeah the app is not one of 2.0 highlights. You still need the cards and since it is not up to date a phonebook of PDFs to accompany your rule booklets.

Unless there is some feature that is coming out with the next update it is curious why this is running so poorly, especially with the new IP Guidelines which almost seems like they are declaring 3rd party squad builders illegal.