What's up with dueling?

By Ascarel, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

8 minutes ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

Still, putting high mil char in pol. duel just to bow or discard your character kinda negates the whole point, you found weaker opponent and beat him to a pulp....
For example last game I had daidoji uji in pol conflict, dueling me mil, and bowing, honoring himself and breaking the province...
And since my char had - for mil it was disaster in advance...

You cant say its ok, its not...
It need to get revisited and possibly polished some more.

FWIW, my original post was not going in that direction because I agree that big characters must have the impact that is expected of them.

I continue to believe however that eating weaker characters for breakfast is fundamentally a dishonorable act. :P

Just now, Ascarel said:

FWIW, my original post was not going in that direction because I agree that big characters must have the impact that is expected of them.

I continue to believe however that eating weaker characters for breakfast is fundamentally a dishonorable act. :P

I do agree, we had seen that problem earlier in AGOT where you had loads of no name builders nightwatch overcame Red Viper... :D
And we did saw it in L5R too...

Thats why I do think duels should be possibly corrected, that bushi can only challenge bushi, and courtier well second courtier...
There you have that consistency better samurai won the duel or better courtier won the debate...

25 minutes ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

Still, putting high mil char in pol. duel just to bow or discard your character kinda negates the whole point, you found weaker opponent and beat him to a pulp....
For example last game I had daidoji uji in pol conflict, dueling me mil, and bowing, honoring himself and breaking the province...
And since my char had - for mil it was disaster in advance...

You can't duel a character with a - in the relevant stat.

Stupid interface led to double post.

Edited by Khudzlin
6 minutes ago, Khudzlin said:

You can't duel a character with a - in the relevant stat.

In that case possible Jigoku bug...
Tho I completely forgot that section in rules, tnx ^^

16 minutes ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

In that case possible Jigoku bug...
Tho I completely forgot that section in rules, tnx ^^

You're welcome. If jigoku let someone duel a character on a - stat, it's definitely a bug.

Tho still, 1 v 10 and other duels that can happen, for example daidoji vs any of scorp courtiers with 1 mil, and he even gets honored after... :D
That is quite a problem...

42 minutes ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

Tho still, 1 v 10 and other duels that can happen, for example daidoji vs any of scorp courtiers with 1 mil, and he even gets honored after... :D
That is quite a problem...

Its sadly very accurate to how most dueling actually works though in real life, Usually one opponent is more skilled then the other so is using the duel to force a concession or just beat that opponent down. What we really need is a effect that would allow you to substitute a challenged character for another one you control so that you can have Yojimbo doing their job and acting as duel stand ins for their boss.

1 minute ago, Schmoozies said:

Its sadly very accurate to how most dueling actually works though in real life, Usually one opponent is more skilled then the other so is using the duel to force a concession or just beat that opponent down. What we really need is a effect that would allow you to substitute a challenged character for another one you control so that you can have Yojimbo doing their job and acting as duel stand ins for their boss.

This sounds quite good as an idea!
Not to mention that out of the 3 only Shiba Yōjimbō does what he is paid to do... :D
The rest just slack on their job... :D

2 minutes ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

This sounds quite good as an idea!
Not to mention that out of the 3 only Shiba Yōjimbō does what he is paid to do... :D
The rest just slack on their job... :D

Either that or they don't really like the boss much ;)

That Yojimbo idea would be good - either an interrupt to swap into a duel on a dynasty one or a conflict one with an interrupt to be played into a duel. At least they could have a use against decks with no duels unlike Stay Your Hand

And its easy to implement, make new Yojimbo, and explaing its keyword in, and bam...
All the previous versions are more usable...

On 7/24/2019 at 8:10 PM, JudgeRedeemer said:

And its easy to implement, make new Yojimbo, and explaing its keyword in, and bam...
All the previous versions are more usable...

None of the previous ones have a Keyword though, do they? Still, having Yojimbo be a Keyword for future cards would be nice.

42 minutes ago, Brekekekiwi said:

None of the previous ones have a Keyword though, do they? Still, having Yojimbo be a Keyword for future cards would be nice.

Yōjimbō is already a keyword: https://fiveringsdb.com/cards/search?q=k%3Ayojimbo . If I recall correctly, no ability anywhere refers to it as of yet.

I'd prefer the yōjimbō to act as a mandatory dueling partner when on the board. I mean, if one initiates a duel against a player who has a yōjimbō in play, the initiator _must_ choose that character.

Yojimbo is a trait, not a keyword.

I know, but it can be changed so that it has a bit more impact on gameplay.

Right, but it would become the only trait to have mechanical benefits. I feel FFG wouldn't go back to add further complication to old cards but more likely print new things with those effects so that they can pay the bills with new product. Some of the Yojimbo cards have yojimbo-like themes (mostly defensive), just not all of them are very good.

37 minutes ago, Hordeoverseer said:

Right, but it would become the only trait to have mechanical benefits. I feel FFG wouldn't go back to add further complication to old cards but more likely print new things with those effects so that they can pay the bills with new product. Some of the Yojimbo cards have yojimbo-like themes (mostly defensive), just not all of them are very good.

Or it opens the design space to explore those sorts of effects. Its a great way to make undervalued traits more valuable. Not saying you give the power three (Bushi, Courtier, Shugenja) a benefit, but for less usable traits it may be worth considering.

Why not have the keyword "protect", that can change the target of a triggered effect to the character with "protect".

Doesn't the seppun hidden guard already do that?

1 hour ago, RafaelNN said:

Doesn't the seppun hidden guard  already do that?

Yes but it only protects unique character.
Why couldn't lower ranking courtier had its own guard to save it?

1 hour ago, JudgeRedeemer said:

Why couldn't lower ranking courtier had its own guard to save it?

Probably because they are just that, low ranking and not deemed to be worth the cost of sending a skilled duelist to defend their honor. If the task is important enough, the big time courtiers and their yojimbo are sent.

You're assuming in-lore logic for a card game where I can send a Marauding Oni to the battlefield alongside my perfectly normal, honorable samurai army, wielding any manner of assorted items...Honored Blades being my particular favorite, in case he wants to win back the honor he cost to declare as a participating character.

1 hour ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

You're assuming in-lore logic for a card game where I can send a Marauding Oni to the battlefield alongside my perfectly normal, honorable samurai army, wielding any manner of assorted items...Honored Blades being my particular favorite, in case he wants to win back the honor he cost to declare as a participating character.

A normal day in the phoenix 😁

Try wining a big tournament with shadowlands cards in your deck and let's see what happens

5 hours ago, Daigotsu Arashi said:

A normal day in the phoenix 😁

Try wining a big tournament with shadowlands cards in your deck and let's see what happens

Until they release Spider as a clan... :D