Making Dengar Better

By Rogue Dakotan, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

So when you encounter the Dengar contact, if you have negative rep with a faction he'll fight you. Otherwise you're fine. Then you put his token facedown somewhere.

And for the rest of the game he's irrelevant . Everyone should be able to remember which facedown yellow contact token is Dengar, and just ignore it for the rest of the game.

If the first person to encounter Dengar doesn't have a negative rep, he's just kind of a dud.

Dengar would be far scarier if his new location was randomized in one of the following ways:

--You may pay 5,000 credits to randomize all of the facedown yellow contact tokens. Now Dengar's location is unknown and he's a potential surprise threat again. This is also a way you can mess with other Bounty Hunters (which is why you need to pay otherwise it'd be way too powerful.)

or a little more toned down:

--You may pay X,000 credits to choose another facedown yellow contact token. Take this token and Dengar's token and secretly replace both of them in any open contact spaces. Again this puts a bit of mystery back in Dengar's location. But with a 50/50 guess for the other players as to which token might be Dengar.

1 hour ago, Rogue Dakotan said:

So when you encounter the Dengar contact, if you have negative rep with a faction he'll fight you. Otherwise you're fine. Then you put his token facedown somewhere.

And for the rest of the game he's irrelevant . Everyone should be able to remember which facedown yellow contact token is Dengar, and just ignore it for the rest of the game.

If the first person to encounter Dengar doesn't have a negative rep, he's just kind of a dud.

Dengar would be far scarier if his new location was randomized in one of the following ways:

--You may pay 5,000 credits to randomize all of the facedown yellow contact tokens. Now Dengar's location is unknown and he's a potential surprise threat again. This is also a way you can mess with other Bounty Hunters (which is why you need to pay otherwise it'd be way too powerful.)

or a little more toned down:

--You may pay X,000 credits to choose another facedown yellow contact token. Take this token and Dengar's token and secretly replace both of them in any open contact spaces. Again this puts a bit of mystery back in Dengar's location. But with a 50/50 guess for the other players as to which token might be Dengar.

I like both ideas.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:21 PM, Rogue Dakotan said:

I disagree whole-heartedly with this, as the most powerful part of Dengar is that if you have a negative fame and defeat him you get a nice reward (fame and a few thousand credits, if I remember, which is as good as completing an illegal smuggling run or collecting a lower-grade bounty or job), and it's an even nicer reward if you're a character like Ketsu who gets additional rewards for winning combats.

The point of being able to place Dengar anywhere in another yellow spot isn't to lay some obvious trap for another player, but rather it's a way to try and keep him away from other players who might be able to take him out before you can and reap the benefit. If you know you're flying over to Cantonica to complete a job/bounty that is gonna cost you REP with someone, maybe you throw Dengar nearby so after you've lost the Rep you can go kill Dengar for the money and fame.

So, I think maybe you're underwhelmed reception of Dengar is that you're missing the point of his encounter: an opportunity for negative rep combat-savy characters to make money and fame, which basically makes him a smuggle/bounty/job that can be immediately completed where he's found. Which is really valuable.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

👍 👍 👍

source.gif

Edited by Rogue Dakotan
On 6/25/2019 at 1:21 PM, Rogue Dakotan said:

Everyone should be able to remember which facedown yellow contact token is Dengar, and just ignore it for the rest of the game.

I appreciate your vote of confidence in my memory. I should indeed be able to remember that, alas...wait, what was I saying...

1. I think you overestimate player's ability to keep everything in memory during a game. Bounty players may be keeping track, but even then, it's hard....At least for me. I spotted Chewie while playing Fett...and the best I could remember was which side of the board he was on. Trying to keep track of everything else left little room for me to manage much else.

2. I don't like the idea of messing with the other face down contacts. Some of those might also have been placed, and even if not, I have issues thematically with Dengar single-handedly being able to shuffle so many characters around.

3. I also feel like the OP is only touching on one facet of the encounter. Non-combat players will surely want to avoid him, but as stated, he's worth a point of Fame if you do take him out. When the end is nigh and things are tight, Dengar could be the difference between hitting a Navpoint encounter for 0 Fame, or scoring some creds and 1 Fame, getting you one step closer to winning.