Sands of the Past - Release

By Sadgit, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

This expansion looks great. I hope I'll try it someday!

1 hour ago, Francesco Lamas said:

This expansion looks great. I hope I'll try it someday!

It not only looks great but it works great too. The most fun automated-Overlord mechanism and game experience I tried so far for Descent. Really a professional work from the guys here - they deserve all credit for that. It would be really nice to have it for all the other campaigns as well.

A few observations regarding SOTP cards:

- Monster card 3B, Elemental - I suppose the "Chilling Tide" is dice value 2.

- Blood will Tell E1 (9B side) - I guess the Flesh Moulders activation Commands missing there (it's there in the Rulebook page 31).

There seems to be a little contradiction in page 8, Placing monsters.

The order of placing monsters in point 3. is not the same (tile number > leftmost of the top row > rightmost of the top row > leftmost of the bottom row) as in the right side of the page with the picture explanation (tile number > rightmost of the bottom row > leftmost of the bottom row > leftmost of the top row). Which one is the correct one?

Question regarding Army of Dal'Zunn, Zombie actions. Is the zombies do nothing from the activation card even if they can't move twice (no token under the figure), standing next to a hero? They are wasting their 2nd actions for nothing?

Sorry for not answering this earlier, but I tend to not check the FFG forum regularly anymore. You can contact me by sending a GeekMail to my account on BGG (sadgit).

Question 1: I remember that this was a problem in an earlier version of the rule book. It has been corrected in v1.4.
Question 2: I think this is indeed suboptimal. Commands for zombies should be

action: Engage the Open Field
action: Engage the Open Field
action: Attack h hero

Edited by Sadgit
3 hours ago, Sadgit said:

Sorry for not answering this earlier, but I tend to not check the FFG forum regularly anymore.

I miss you already. It's a bigger loss than FFG abandoning the 2nd edition productline ....

Sorry, but I'm still confused.

This is taken from the v1.4 version of the rules:

1. On Entrance or Exit tiles monsters are placed in spaces as close as possible to the connected map tile.
2. On all other map tiles, the first monster is placed in the space closest to the printed map tile number.
3. Each additional monster is placed in spaces at the edges of the map tile oriented as shown in the quest description. Place additional monsters closest to the leftmost space of the top row, rightmost space of the top row, rightmost space of the bottom row, and leftmost space of the bottom row. Start with the space the first monster was placed in and continue placing monsters clockwise until all monsters are placed.

And then the example:

Placing monsters on map tiles
1. Space closest to map tile number
2. Rightmost space of the bottom row
3. Leftmost space of the bottom row
4. Leftmost space of the top row

So which is correct (or am I reading it wrong)?

Thanks for your help.

Ah, now I understand your confusion.

The text in bold just states which spaces should be used in general. It does not give the sequence of the placement.

Quote:
3. Each additional monster is placed in spaces at the edges of the map tile oriented as shown in the quest description. Place additional monsters closest to the leftmost space of the top row, rightmost space of the top row, rightmost space of the bottom row, and leftmost space of the bottom row.

The last sentence gives the sequence of placements:

Quote:
Start with the space the first monster was placed in and continue placing monsters clockwise until all monsters are placed.

This is in agreement with the figure on the page of the manual.

Hello, will there still be a German version for the expansion?
Greetings