Sands of the Past - Release

By Sadgit, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I am happy to announce that the Sands of the Past expansion has been released.

For more details see my BGG post.

Edited by Sadgit

Quite amazing the amount of work you have put into this , and it does have a lot of useful tools for co-operative play in there - so thank you

Looking awesome. On a Terrinoth break while I sort some things at my flat but looking forward to returning to try out this, Lost Legends and Rugal's projects once I've dealt with the mundane real life stuffs :)

Just a question regarding the new monsters:

Sarcophagus Guards are Small (1) monsters, Burrowing Horrors are Large (4) right?

56 minutes ago, kbalazsa said:

Just a question regarding the new monsters:

Sarcophagus Guard s are Small (1) monsters, Burrowing Horrors are Large (4) right?

Correct.

EDIT: I will add this information to the rule book.

Edited by Sadgit

Well done ! Even if now there's a lack of hero class again lol

I don't have enough room for new classes in my current storage solution :)

1 hour ago, rugal said:

Well done ! Even if now there's a lack of hero class again lol

That's all FFGs fault! We had it all under control!

I am happy to announce that all Sands of the Past cards have been integrated into the Google Chrome D2e Card Viewer extension. For those of you already using this great tool it should have updated to version 1.15.0 automatically.

Thanks for all the hard work on this, any2cards!

Just a further update ... I spent time today working on some annoyances with the tool. I am slowly trying to get ride of those annoyances.

As a result, the current version is 2.0.3.

I think I will change my expansion then !

8 hours ago, Sadgit said:

Sadgit, what do you think if I change it a bit so there will be 2 new heroes, 1 scout and 1 Warrior, with a Warrior class and a Scout class, so it will close (again) the classes ?

It depends on the time you have already invested in fine-tuning your heroes and classes. This was by far the most complex task in SotP. Most of the Class cards went through several iteration cycles before we were finally happy. And that was after the original creators Zaltyre (psychic) and Painkeeper (hierophant) spent many hours on the original versions of the classes.

Frankly, for me personally a balanced, innovative class or hero is of great value even if the number of heroes or classes for each archetype are not perfectly in line.

Edited by Sadgit

I'm having a hard time with the druid from almost a year now. I like the idea really much but I'm not able to find a good way to finish it and balance it. It troubles me since.µ

Other components are not so hard to balance, but I'm lacking good ideas for a Mage and I must change some with the new lost legends out now.

So, I will think of it for this summer, and on top of that, there's a new campaign with a friend I have to finish soon. Looots of unepaid work lol
Fans are crazy

Edited by rugal

Sadgit - I have a question regarding selecting monsters for quests in SotP.

Rulebook says

"Retrieve figures, Monster cards, and Monster Activation cards
for monsters noted in the “Monsters” section of the quest
description and place them in the general play area. For open
monster groups draw Monster cards from the bottom of the
supply deck until a card with a matching trait is revealed."

"Supply deck" supposed to be the monster cards or the Monster Activation cards I guess. Should it be suffled before drawing (and after each encounter/quests)? Or should be ordered by the numbers on the Monster Activation cards?

I'm asking because I have an idea to add a "Give me random monsters" button to my Monster selection sheet. With that you'd be able to pick random monsters from the filtered area based on the selected monster traits.

Yes, the mechanic just results in randomized open groups. The monster deck should be reshuffled between encounters.

I have some questions regarding SotP:

1) What happens if Perill card deck is run out of cards but the encounter still doesn't ends? There are some encounters in HoB which have encounter deck with only minor or major perils, but no deadly at the end. It supposed to be harder and harder as time goes by I guess.

2) How Blind conditions is working with re-roll events? Eg. with Reynhart (only for X), Widow Tarha. Can the Overlord force to re-roll with Staff of Shadows for example to trigger Blind for a hero?

1) All encounters that have Peril decks without a Deadly Peril card should automatically end due to quest mechanics shortly after the last Minor/Major Peril card is drawn.

2) Yes, reroll abilities can be used as usual. All relics that usually require decisions of the overlord have been modified for RtP. You can find the details on p.11 of the rules and quest guide. For Staff of Shadows the modified ability is:

Staff of Shadows: Exhaust this card to reroll the blue attack die when a hero's attack would defeat a monster or when a monster rolls an X on the blue attack die, whichever comes first.

Thus, only if a blinded hero would defeat a monster, Staff of Shadows would be used.

Edited by Sadgit
On 7/19/2019 at 6:52 AM, Sadgit said:

... whichever comes first

What does this mean? That you MUST use the Staff at your first opportunity?

- Jee

On 7/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, Inspector Jee said:

What does this mean? That you MUST use the Staff at your first opportunity?

- Jee

Yes, when playing the cooperative Road to Peril you MUST use the staff at the first opportunity.

Edited by Sadgit

I just realized that I might used the Trap counter wrong.

"Each time the heroes win a quest, the trap value is decreased by 1;
each time the overlord wins a quest the trap value is increased by 1."

I did in the reverse order- thinking if the heroes won that supposed to help their way next time, kind of a reward of job well done. But it's in the reverse order, so it's kind of a balance mechanism?

Yep!

7 hours ago, Zaltyre said:

Yep!

It's a confirm that I did it wrong?

😅

Yes, it's an internal balance mechanism. The trap tests get harder if the heroes win a lot.