Red Scorpion

By Zcurator, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I have the Runebound 3rd Ed miniature for Red Scorpion and I am making a customized Descent 2nd hero sheet with updated art and green background for her. I'm using her conversion kit stats and abilities, but before I go printing the sheet out I wanted to see if the community recommends any changes to her conversion kit version.

Thanks in advance.

a) could you take a picture of red scorp alongside the other minis? I'm just curious if she's close enough to scale. (been thinking about picking up that expansion just for her mini).

b) her conversion kit primary ability is good enough, I think, to keep. Her Feat is pretty weak in comparison to the rest of post H&M kits (total defense reroll) ... so I would strongly suggest coming up with a new feat.

As preface, I've been working a total conversion/overhaul pack for D2e. This is the new feat I made for Red Scorpion, mostly taking inspiration from her ability on her runebound card...

• Use this during your activation to perform a free attack. This attack gains Surge: Deal X dmg where X is the number of times you trigger this surge ability. You may trigger this surge multiple times during this attack.

... granted, I haven't actually tested this ability yet (still working on all that). So that may be over or under powered.

Still, you may want to go a different route. She's also had a dance/ballet thing going (with her original card art and her quote about balance), so anything that could combine mobility and attack would also work.

Edited by thinkbomb
16 minutes ago, thinkbomb said:

a) could you take a picture of red scorp alongside the other minis? I'm just curious if she's close enough to scale. (been thinking about picking up that expansion just for her mini).

Yes, she is.

6 hours ago, thinkbomb said:

As preface, I've been working a total conversion/overhaul pack for D2e. This is the new feat I made for Red Scorpion, mostly taking inspiration from her ability on her runebound card...

• Use this during your activation to perform a free attack. This attack gains Surge: Deal X dmg where X is the number of times you trigger this surge ability. You may trigger this surge multiple times during this attack.

... granted, I haven't actually tested this ability yet (still working on all that). So that may be over or under powered.

Still, you may want to go a different route. She's also had a dance/ballet thing going (with her original card art and her quote about balance), so anything that could combine mobility and attack would also work.

This feat seems strong (e.g. strictly better than, say, Grisban's heroic feat). Maybe it could require a mobility-related activating condition, such as after she spends two move actions?

Edited by Charmy
22 minutes ago, Charmy said:

This feat seems strong (e.g. strictly better than, say, Grisban's heroic feat). Maybe it could require a mobility-related activating condition, such as after she spends two move actions?

So ... this was one of those things that I didn't realize until after I posted and it echoed around in my head the rest of the day. Under manufactured circumstances you could have 3 surges and +9dmg, meaning an OHKO moment.

So yeah, mobility/attack route would definitely be a better option.

Oh, the ability you proposed worked differently than I thought.

I thought you were saying that the ability was essentially:
Surge: +1 damage. You may use this surge ability any number of times.

Yeah the original proposal was far too strong then.

Edited by Charmy

The cards in question are here...

red-scorpion-back.png

red-scorpion-front.png

which ... it's a different system with different mechanics. Idunno, maybe there's something here to take inspiration from.
... that or take inspiration from Princess Leia.

In my defense there's over 70 heroes i have to proof-read and update to fit against rule changes (Rendiel was a headache, KO got reworked) , so a couple of these are gonna slip past me on the first draft. 😜

This is the card I made. The conversion kit's stats and abilities remain unchanged. I cleaned up the original heroic feat's wording and added the ability for her to move during the overlord turn.

The original wording for reference:
"Use when you are attacked to force the attacking monster to reroll some or all of the attack dice (you choose which dice). The new results must be applied."

Could use a consistency check.

xcVDOQ8.jpg KfXCqX4.jpg

On 6/22/2019 at 4:27 PM, thinkbomb said:

could you take a picture of red scorp alongside the other minis? I'm just curious if she's close enough to scale. (been thinking about picking up that expansion just for her mini).

Here you go.

CcUACx6.jpg

consistency nitpick (not my fave, but yeah) - with the feat you are "forcing the monster to reroll". Mainly because "you" didn't roll the attack dice while defending. As such you "force the attacker" to reroll theirs.

10 minutes ago, thinkbomb said:

consistency nitpick (not my fave, but yeah  ) - with the feat you ar  e "forcing the monster to rero  ll". Mainly because "you" didn't roll the attack dice while defendi  ng. As such you "  force the  attacker" to re  roll theirs. 

Interesting. So Unholy Bond from the new Soul Reaper class is wrong then? What would be the correct wording you would use for her heroic feat? I will just copy and paste it in to replace the text I currently have?

pic4803086.jpg

Edited by Zcurator
Just now, Zcurator said:

Interesting. So Unholy Bond from the new Soul Reaper class is wrong then? What would be the final correct wording you would use so that I can copy and paste it in to replace the text I currently have?

pic4803086.jpg

Well whadyaknow!

Run with this precedent, then. It's a lot less wordy. ^__^

2 minutes ago, thinkbomb said:

Run with this precedent, then. It's a lot less wordy. ^__^

Will do. Does the extra movement help level the heroic feat with other scout based feats?

I noticed a lot of them are just movement effects,

Edited by Zcurator
6 minutes ago, Zcurator said:

Will do. Does the extra movement help level the heroic feat with other scout based feats?

I noticed a lot of them are just movement effects,

I think so. scout classes tend to care a lot about positioning, so having the reroll and movement works well.

Cool. Thanks for your help.

To my knowledge there is no single instance of a player being allowed to roll dice for another player. Unholy Bond is the only example. Unfortunately, some of the cards of Lost Legends do have typos and inconsistencies when it comes to wording especially compared to other official products. This indicates that Lost Legends might not have enjoyed as rigorous proof-reading as other expansions.

Here are some examples:

Lorekeeper - All-Knowing - "Apply +1 [Knowledge]" should be "Apply +1 to your [Knowledge]"
Lorekeeper - All-Knowing - "If you pass, unexhaust each of those cards" should be "If you pass, refresh each of those cards"
Lorekeeper - Ancient Remedy - "You gain + X health" should be "You gain +1 H ealth"
Ravager - Momentum - "Melee" should be in italics
Ravager - Charging Assault - "before the dice are rolled" should be "before dice are rolled"
Elementalist - Sun and Sea - "exhuast" should be " exhaust "
Elementalist - Nature's Embrace - comma missing after "When you use Tide"

On many cards "one" should be replaced by "1" when it comes to quantifying various tokens.
On many cards "discard a Condition" should be replaced with "discard a Condition card".

More importantly, the wording of Unholy Bond enables combos with all abilities that allow you to reroll dice essentially allowing the Soul Reaver to reroll the monster's attack dice twice or even more (the Soul Reaver's Galvanize "reroll any one die", Window Tarha's Hero ability, the bard's Rehearsal, etc.). Reynhart the Avenger-Soul Reaper could even use his Heroic Feat (if he rolls an X) to recover his fatigue. Also on previous components a simple "reroll a die" never allows players to reroll dice of other players. That would essentially put all reroll abilities in Staff of Shadows territory. I assume that this is not intended. Staff of Shadows is the only card that forces other players to reroll dice and it specifically states " or force a reroll of any 1 die ".

Therefore I suggest to use "Use when a monster performs an attack that targets you. Choose any or all attack or power die and force the monster to reroll those dice.

Edited by Sadgit

If only FFG would value the insights gathered by the rules experts of the community, and offer them to proof-read their releases. It would greatly improve the quality of their releases.

That's a ton of typos! It leads to the question of whether these cards were proofread at all.. (Or if the proofreader was being chased by a chain saw killer at the same time..) Not exactly a boost to the credibility of the product in general. I completely agree with DerDelphi. Whatever reason they may have for not following that suggestion must be pretty compelling because their end result has clearly suffered mightily!

To be honest, I think the "no fan interaction" policy of FFG has started their downfall long ago. And the Asmodee thing just made things worse. In retrospect a lot of this was only a question of time. Once they were out of touch with their enthusiast community, the quality of the products fell, demand was misjudged, most bets were placed on third party licenses and the prices rose. You don't have to be a genius to figure out what will happen in the future, when they lose the Star Wars license.

Deleted

Edited by Zcurator
11 hours ago, Sadgit said:

Therefore I suggest to use "Use when a monster performs an attack that targets you. Choose any or all attack or power die and force the monster to reroll those dice. 

Thank you. I will do just that.

Off topic to my own topic. How does Charging Assault work?

pic4801943.jpg

Charging Assault allows the Ravager to convert movement points that are in the current movement point pool into damage.

Examples:

A ravager performs a move action, moves adjacent to a target but has still 2 movement points left. He can then spend those movement points to add 2 damage to the attack in step 2.

A ravager starts his turn adjacent to a target. Before declaring an attack, he may spend fatigue to gain movement points. He than attacks the monster and my add 1 damage for each movement point that he decides to spend from his pool for that reason.

2 minutes ago, Sadgit said:

Charging Assault allows the Ravager to convert movement points that are in the current movement point pool into damage.

Examples:

A ravager performs a move action, moves adjacent to a target but has still 2 movement points left. He can then spend those movement points to add 2 damage to the attack in step 2. 

A ravager starts his turn adjacent to a target. Before declaring an attack, he may spend fatigue to gain movement points. He than attacks the monster and my add 1 damage for each movement point that he decides to spend from his pool for that reason.

Ah. Okay.

So it's not "Move up to X spaces first and deal +X extra damage"

The name implies that you have to be charging during the assault, but the rules do not. Hence my question. Thanks for the clarity.

One more question regarding "Charging Assault" and its limitation.
I understand that I can convert up to 3 movement points into damage during attack.
What if I still have 2 movement points left and I would like to perform another attack? Is it possible to use once again "Charging Assault" and convert those 2 movement points again?

I would say that yes, but I would like to be sure.

1 hour ago, rider4 said:

One more question regarding "Charging Assault" and its limitation.
I understand that I can convert up to 3 movement points into damage during attack.
What if I still have 2 movement points left and I would like to perform another attack? Is it possible to use once again "Charging Assault" and convert those 2 movement points again?

I would say that yes, but I would like to be sure.

Yes