Armada Scale (What could have been) Showcase

By Lurtz, in Star Wars: Armada

My Shapeways Shop
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wakes-emporium

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1682441262062813/  
my Facebook page where I go over my latest designs (mostly 6mm ground stuff atm)
That includes "The GMO Wars Line" atm that probably most of you would like. Ill put photos here for those interested.

@Forty Thank you, Ive not made any CR90s yet but they are basically the size of the current fighters. You could base them however you like. I have my own slightly modified rules for HFB to handle my new star wars ships but also star trek ships for instance. Or other sci fis in the future as I wish. I like a set of rules that is robust enough to handle whatever I throw at it. Unfortunately due to school/work and real life I almost never get to work on these things.

@Norsehound We seem to overlap in several interests, I am WakelessREX from the BGG forums and ive seen you in a few other places. As I recall you play Attack wing so you may like my star trek stuff.

"This reminds me of what I wished Legion was- AT-ATs being "our" ISDs. Not re-skinned Imperial Assault.

I've heard the complaints that Armada was "too big" since even before the starter kit's come out, so the sentiment isn't new. My way around it is to believe that an Armada is several players together for the vast campaigns FFG has been handing us. After all if you think 400 points is small, remember, the game was originally 300. ISDs sucked up a huge amount of points in that scale."

Fair point, if this is what others are after im happy they can enjoy the game. For me I want to be able to do both large scale and small scale battles (both of which are doable in my set up, I can do any small scale engagement just the same as Armada. With just as much detail and probably more) However the most important thing for me is that it feels like maneuver and tactics are the most important thing. i guess maybe more "wargame" than "miniatures game" type deal. I dont get that at all from Armada but HFB did give me that.

HFB was a great game, sadly the CEO of the manufacturer had some health problems and sold everything so its now as rare as gold. Still I really only make 1/20000 scale stuff for people to do with as they please. you can play armada rules with this scale if you wanted. Its up to the person.

Everything I have in the photos (with a few exceptions) was printed by me at my house. I only have 'some' things for sale on my shapeways shop atm. Mainly things that would be hard for me to print like 6mm inf. However anyone is free to inquire about anything I have in my photos. I am a very poor college kid and am always looking to stay out of the red.

Anyway i'll share some relevant photos then.
g1SOIEvl.jpg
OlvYRNxl.jpg
CzUy0AYl.jpg
Qop9KDMl.jpg
zNNY4yUl.jpg
ykMH00ll.jpg?2
A4lH3DEl.jpg
SXnMCgUl.jpg
n5ol42ml.jpg
vJSqHYxl.jpg
rXJp5Lel.jpg
kV51ehEl.jpg
4UlhblEl.jpg
eJg8FNXl.jpg

And some stuff for Norse
9s6WShFl.png
vaRDoWOl.jpg
FcJivKjl.jpg

It's times like these that I lament not being independently wealthy. I'd love to have both the time and money for a 3D printer to design and print models. Heck, I wish I had extra money just to buy some of your models!

Alas, I have to work for a living and don't get to make plastic spaceships for a living. That would be nice...

Anyhoo, do you happen to make models that scale well with FFG Rebellion?

That's my new jam as I have a hard time finding people to play Armada in my area.

I ask because I'm currently working on an overhaul of the tactical combat rules and more unit variety would come in handy in future..

Edited by FortyInRed
Apparently I used a curse word?

I wish I was active during the days of Epic 40K, too :D

9 hours ago, Lurtz said:

@Norsehound We seem to overlap in several interests, I am WakelessREX from the BGG forums and ive seen you in a few other places. As I recall you play Attack wing so you may like my star trek stuff.

I did up until the Borg was released, whereupon they dominated everything. My faith in Attack Wing was shaky up until that point but that killed my interest in the game. Now I see it as nothing more than a thinly-veiled cash grab by re-skinning X-Wing and crapping out poor quality minis to make a quick buck on a hot franchise. Balance for the game was dismal when I played it as well, core ships became rapidly outclassed by the next hotness in the next wave.

It may have changed since I played, but I wouldn't put my faith in WizKids from learning their lessons. I still desire a quality Star Trek game though, something akin to Armada here in terms of grind vs ease of playability.

My favorite era of Trek is the Motion Picture era (Trek 1-6). This is what I was designing for whenever I put effort into my own Armada module for introducing Star Trek ships into. Whole new upgrade categories and ships, since while I wanted the ships to play together, I didn't want them to re-use their upgrades.

Edited by Norsehound

@Lurtz I'd be interested in seeing those rules of you care to share.

I too was a little piqued at the choice of scale. In particular I felt the small-base ships were way too big and powerful compared to larger ships.

I think FFG really missed on an opportunity to make the despiration of the Rebel's plight clear by making the ships so large and strong. Seeing a swarm of fighter-sized CR-90s take on an single ISD really would have put that into perspective visually. You would realize just how one-sided the conflict seemed.

But I get it. You cam produce higher-quality models at this size, and if everything was to scale, you'd either need massive ISDs or invisible fighters.

Fluff-wise I always like to pretend that small-base ships are really a group of small ships and medium-base ships are pairs. And as a ship takes damage, it is actually losing ships in the formation.

That then hits upon another pet peeve of mine, which is that ships remain at near total combat effectiveness even when heavily damaged. Sure you could get a face up damage that causes a shield failure, but you're still rolling with all your dice despite being potentially one hit away from death.

But if you now imagine each small/medium ship representing more than one, then this problem just becomes worse. For example, if each CR-90 is actually a formation of four ships then under this hypothetical scenario one damage kills one ship. This model fails badly when a CR-90 with three damage rolls as many dice as a CR-90 with zero. Because that means one ship fights as well as four. But I digress..

I mean, my rules are just slightly modified HFB rules to be honest XD
I recommend anyone interested in the "rules" that I use to go over to the HFB Facebook page (basically the unofficial home of HFB now) and check out the posts ive made on that topic. Im "Chris Smith" there
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1884365661787920/

Yea, I mean theres lots of ways to interpret space combat, and everybody should do what they like. Armada just really isnt made for me XD

6 hours ago, FortyInRed said:

That then hits upon another pet peeve of mine, which is that ships remain at near total combat effectiveness even when heavily damaged. Sure you could get a face up damage that causes a shield failure, but you're still rolling with all your dice despite being potentially one hit away from death.

What about a variant where all ship to ship hits are treated as critical? Every damage card is taken face up? Could accomplish what you want. Although it could be a real pain to keep track of 10 face up damage cards on an ISD.

5 hours ago, thestag said:

What about a variant where all ship to ship hits are treated as critical? Every damage card is taken face up? Could accomplish what you want. Although it could be a real pain to keep track of 10 face up damage cards on an ISD.

Yeah I had actually considered something similar. If each model represents a group of ships then each hit should be devastating. Something like this could work.

Maybe for small-base models treat all hits as face up, for mediums treat all ship-ship hits as face up? IDK this changes the balance pretty radically but personally I'd love to see all hits be face up. Then you get to the problem of dealing with the interactions of 10 face-up cards on an ISD....

Personaly I like the damage system from HFB a lot more but again I digress....

4 hours ago, FortyInRed said:

Yeah I had actually considered something similar. If each model represents a group of ships then each hit should be devastating. Something like this could work.

Maybe for small-base models treat all hits as face up, for mediums treat all ship-ship hits as face up? IDK this changes the balance pretty radically but personally I'd love to see all hits be face up. Then you get to the problem of dealing with the interactions of 10 face-up cards on an ISD....

Personaly I like the damage system from HFB a lot more but again I digress....

Leviathans for Catalyst Game Labs. Not strictly a space game, but the same ideas.

Every hit that lands breaks something. Weak shots bounce off armor. It’s pretty common to see ships trying to turn around because they just lost every weapon on one side or to see a ship dead in the air because somebody shot its engines out

Game is pseudo-dead with plans of resurrection.

Armada where all damage cards are faceup doesnt even come close to that level of performance degradation

Edited by Church14
On 6/28/2019 at 2:21 AM, Norsehound said:

After  all if you think 400 points is small, remember, the game was originally 300. ISDs sucked up a huge amount of points in that  scale. 

ISDs weren't out until wave 2,at which point the game jumped up to 400 points.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:47 AM, Formynder4 said:

ISDs weren't out until wave 2,at which point the game jumped up to 400 points.

The jump was possibly for that reason ;)

On 6/28/2019 at 5:22 PM, Norsehound said:

I wish I was active during the days of Epic 40K, too :D

It still is (to a much lesser degree).

Not super good quality images but I just moved and had some major life changes. Probably do better pics in the future. Looks great in person though. Much better than armada XD

6MJZrhAl.jpg
Mbii8g2l.jpg
dwCZyuUl.jpg

Edited by Lurtz

The Clone Wars at this scale would be excellent, you could actually play the Battle of Coruscant.

I have been getting some HBF models that I am going to use for rebel ships. Just to keep my ship variety up with my Rebels. It is a shame that company went under, as the game had such potential.

Edited by Ling27
On 6/19/2019 at 3:12 AM, Englishpete said:

They look fantastic.

Where do you get the ISD's from?

I have the Sith Planet SSD at 38" long, which is 1/20000 scale I think and I'd love some of those ISD's to sit next to it for a true scale in my model cabinet.

EDIT: At 38" long and with the accepted wisdom that an SSD was 19km, the Sithplanet is about 1/22500 scale, so close enough.

The FFG SSD at 24" long is ~1/36000 scale.

Do you have a picture of the Sith Planet SSD please?

Ships are easy to come by and store at 1/20000 scale too XD not even half of what I have. what do you think this would cost if they were FFG models? O.O

mQJXnIYh.jpg

In addition I have a very large collection of Armada fighters that id like to sell if anyone is interested. Including MANY packs of each fighter type and Loads of Mel minis fighters.

Edited by Lurtz
On 6/19/2019 at 12:59 AM, Lurtz said:

I think 1/20000 would have been a much better scale for armada

A 150m CR90 at would be 7.5mm? No thanks! But that scale does look good for the big ships.

3 hours ago, Sasajak said:

A 150m CR90 at would be 7.5mm? No thanks! But that scale does look good for the big ships.

Yes I would say its more for "Armada" style engagements. 7.5mm isnt actually that small, most of the fighters are this size currently. I think the current scale for FFG's game is good for very small skirmish engagements topping out at something like the battle that is depicted in the excellent Tie fighter fan animation.

I think that animation emulates very well the upper size of engagements that can be played in armada. Done very well. Anything to much past this though and the game becomes incredibly erratic and unwieldy. It would be near impossible to do an accurate OOB battle of Endore using FFG's scale and system, where my own can do it in a few hours with just as much fun and far more "maneuvering".

But the most important thing is that youre having fun. :)

Edited by Lurtz
53 minutes ago, Lurtz said:

Best peace of Star Wars media and its not even officially or commercially produced.

Disney, this is what we want!

Its been a pleasure. :)