AI multiplayer

By Kani Kantai, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

So...does anyone see any immediate problems if three people want to use the AI to round it off to 4 players?

Has anyone had time to play the AI and see what it’s like?

I think it would work just fine to use an AI to round out the 4th player.

The AI for the game is pretty intuitive and gives a stern challenge. The AI can't be a bounty hunter. You draw a card from the AI deck on their turn, and it tells you what to do with the character. The planning phase usually has 3 options and you do the first one applicable (1 - If defeated, recover) (2 - Move towards closest goal token) (3 - Gain 2,000 credits).

For the action phase there will be a list of options and you do as many as you can. This includes delivering cargo (if able), buying cargo, mods, jobs or even a ship. If the card says buy something and the AI can't (on the wrong planet or too expensive) it cycles it once. When the AI buys cargo or a job you put a goal token on the map at the destination/location. The AI never buys bounties and to my knowledge doesn't buy luxury goods either.

The Encounter phase is similar to the planning phase in that you get a list of 3-4 actions and you do the first one that applies. Usually something like (1 - Encounter a patrol if you have negative reputation with it) (2 - Complete a job if able) (3 - Spend 8,000 credits to gain one fame). Some of the actions will cause the AI to flip and recruit a crew for free or gain or lose reputation with a faction.

Lastly, some of the cards will have an optional 4th step that cycle various decks.

The AI never needs to perform skill checks and only rolls dice in combat, so if they are delivering illegal cargo or doing a job, they just "pass" automatically and collect the reward.

If you already knew all this I humbly apologize. All that to say I think you could put an automated player into your game with other players no problem because it wouldn't interfere with anything. It might increase the down-time between player turns which can be a concern during fuller games but once you've done a few games with the AI it goes relatively fast. Also with that spend credits ability it ramps its fame up pretty quick so be aware of that. I'd say if you are playing with people new to the game you might want to shy away from using an AI player at first but if everyone is comfortable with the game and doesn't mind an AI player than go for it!

Edited by TheSpitfired

The AI is basically a clock - it keeps gaining Fame at a certain pace and there's not really a whole lot you can do about it. In terms of a multiplayer game, I imagine it may put pressure on the players that isn't necessarily going to be much fun because there's no real interaction, and it won't ever do anything cool or interesting.

7 hours ago, Abyss said:

The AI is basically a clock - it keeps gaining Fame at a certain pace and there's not really a whole lot you can do about it. In terms of a multiplayer game, I imagine it may put pressure on the players that isn't necessarily going to be much fun because there's no real interaction, and it won't ever do anything cool or interesting.

I have played an insane number of AI games since I got the game six days ago, and I very much disagree with your first statement, that it's basically a clock and there's not a lot you can do about it gaining fame. Just like another player, if it gains illegal cargo or good jobs, you can't do much to stop them from gaining fame - but there's a LOT you can do in your buy action, to cycle down illegal cargo and good jobs, and then buy them yourself.

For example: On my turn, I'm looking at the market decks, and I see the Lando AI is five spaces from Kessel and the Kessel Run job is up - I am discarding it, for sure, and then I'm picking up the stolen prototype due for Cantonica, a few spaces away from Lando AI, too. What now, Lando - your choices are a Favor job on the other side of the galaxy and a lame cargo which, while close, will not gain you direct fame. Deal with it. The AI is very interactive in a true solo game.

However, I 100% agree that there's no need for the AI in the multiplayer game - it'd be like having another player sitting there who doesn't talk or enjoy the story and hardly interacts with you but might beat you! LOL! I can't see this being fun, but I haven't tried it.

12 hours ago, andynorton said:

I have played an insane number of AI games since I got the game six days ago, and I very much disagree with your first statement, that it's basically a clock and there's not a lot you can do about it gaining fame. Just like another player, if it gains illegal cargo or good jobs, you can't do much to stop them from gaining fame - but there's a LOT you can do in your buy action, to cycle down illegal cargo and good jobs, and then buy them yourself.

For example: On my turn, I'm looking at the market decks, and I see the Lando AI is five spaces from Kessel and the Kessel Run job is up - I am discarding it, for sure, and then I'm picking up the stolen prototype due for Cantonica, a few spaces away from Lando AI, too. What now, Lando - your choices are a Favor job on the other side of the galaxy and a lame cargo which, while close, will not gain you direct fame. Deal with it. The AI is very interactive in a true solo game.

However, I 100% agree that there's no need for the AI in the multiplayer game - it'd be like having another player sitting there who doesn't talk or enjoy the story and hardly interacts with you but might beat you! LOL! I can't see this being fun, but I haven't tried it.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll admit that the AI games I played were mostly playing the game as normal, rather than specifically trying to play against the AI.

8 minutes ago, Abyss said:

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll admit that the AI games I played were mostly playing the game as normal, rather than specifically trying to play against the AI.

You know, that’s another way to play it - and the AI is usually easy enough to where you could very possibly win without actively trying to thwart it.