Suggestions for new cards

By murphzero, in Mag Blast

Afterburners (action card) Resources: Star | Star

• Play on any fleet ship with a speed of 2.
  • This ship can no longer be targeted with Mag Blasts and Beam Blasts.
  • (This card remains with the ship it is played on. It is discarded when the ship is destroyed.)

Cloaking Device (action card) Resource: Diamond

• Play on any fleet ship with a speed of 1.
  • This ship cannot be the target of Blasts or Squadrons.
  • (This card remains with the ship it is played on. Discard immediately if this ship fires a blast or launches a squadron.)

Space Tug (action card) Resource: Circle

• Play on any fleet ship.
  • For this turn only, this ship's speed increases by 1.

Experimental Prototype (action card) Resources: Diamond | Star

• Play on any fleet ship.
  • For this turn only, this ship may fire any type of blast.
  • At the end of the action phase - if this ship has 3 hull points or less - it is destroyed.

We've Hacked Into Their System! (action card) Resources: Circle | Circle

• Any Turn: Replace the current target of a blast or squadron with any Fleet ship in the same zone. If no other Fleet ship is available, the blast/squadron has no effect.

Jamming Pod (action card) Resource: Diamond

• Play on any fleet ship with a speed of 2.
  • Ships in this fleet may not have Direct Hit cards played on them.
  • (This card remains with the ship it is played on. It is discarded when the ship is destroyed.)

Point Defense (action card)

• Any Turn: Play on any fleet ship with a speed of 0.
  • Discard a blast. Chose an enemy squadron attacking this ship's zone - it must return to its carrier.

Just wondering, how would the cloaking device card affect targeting the command ship? It would seem to be a really powerful card if your opponent could not target the ship or the command ship it is protecting.

The cloaking device would only apply to fleet ships, so the command ship would never get that ability.

However, the same issue would come up if you only had one ship in the zone and allowed a cloaking device to apply to that fleet ship. You wouldn't be able to attack from that zone - which seems messed up.

I'll re-post the addition I added to the BGG forum:

-

Afterburner and Cloaking Device prevent attacks on a particular ship - if that ship is the only ship in a zone, this would create a new problem.

Here's a better version

Afterburners (action card) Resources: Star | Star

* Play on any fleet ship with a speed of 2.
* This ship cannot be attacked by bombers.
* All blasts aimed at this ship are treated as laser blasts.
* (This card remains with the ship it is played on. It is discarded when the ship is destroyed.)

This keeps the idea of the card intact (making scouts last longer) and avoids the paradox when a scout with afterburners is the only ship in a zone. You have the added hassle of fishing laser blasts out of the discard pile or deck - or you just just remember that all blasts to this ship do 1 point of damage.

Thematically, this would be a ship so fast that massive weapons aimed at it would only explode behind it and do less damage. Bombers couldn't catch it at all.

Cloaking device, I'm not sure I can save. But here goes:

Cloaking Device (action card) Resource: Diamond

* Play on any fleet ship in a zone with 2 or more ships.
* This ship cannot be the target of Blasts or Squadrons.
* (This card remains with the ship it is played on. Discard immediately if this ship is the only ship in its zone.)

I thought of a simpler version of point defense as well:

Point Defense (action card)

* Any Turn: Play on any destroyer
* No ship in this destroyer's zone can be targeted by squadrons.
* (This card remains with the ship it is played on. It is discarded when the ship is destroyed.)

And just because it's in my head, here's one more card:

Drop Tanks (action card)

* Play on any bomber squadron.
* For this turn only, this bomber squadron can attack targets in zones adjacent to their carrier's zone.