Skill Checks - Crit VS Two Hits

By jddilfer, in Star Wars: Outer Rim

Bear with me here... I am not looking for a direct quote from the rule book. I have that, and appreciate your input if that was your answer.

Looking for opinion: It seems like logically a person should be able to roll 2 hits and pass a skill check.

If you look at the systematic progression, Highly Skilled: Focus, Hit or Crit, Skilled: Hit or Crit, Unskilled: Crit (but two hits is effectively the same thing?)

What are your thoughts on this?

Ever heard about probabilities? Devs decided you make unskilled test with exact those results, add more options sends all other balancing down the drain.

@Redblock You aren't wrong, but at the same time this only raises that chance from 1/8 to 3/16. Not much of an adjustment IMO.

Edited by jddilfer

its not 1/8 if you roll 2 dice.

if you don’t have the skill needed rolling a hit is essentially rolling a blank. A double blank is not a success no matter how you wrap it.

I’ve had a skill needed and rolled more double eyeballs than I want to admit. I get it, but I think the system works fine.

With two x-wing dice, you have a 23.4% chance to have a roll with at least one crit.

You have a 25% chance to have a roll with two hits or crits in it. So the odds are just barely changing.

if you like it for your table, I don’t see it doing that much harm.

@skotothalamos thanks for doing the percentage math! I might house rule it that way. It seems to make sense to me. Have to do a couple more playthroughs and see how it goes.

This seems like unnecessarily complicating the roll progression for skill checks for very little difference... If you require at least one of a certain set of values for highly skilled and skilled checks, why use a different set of rules for evaluating unskilled checks?

12 hours ago, jddilfer said:

@skotothalamos thanks for doing the percentage math! I might house rule it that way. It seems to make sense to me. Have to do a couple more playthroughs and see how it goes.

It makes Lando really good. Where 1 crit on two dice is 23.4%, and with 1 reroll lando is 31.25% to land 1 crit. But, instead of 25% to land two hits, he is now 50% with the reroll. That is a big jump for unskilled roll.

6 hours ago, wurms said:

It makes Lando really good. Where 1 crit on two dice is 23.4%, and with 1 reroll lando is 31.25% to land 1 crit. But, instead of 25% to land two hits, he is now 50% with the reroll. That is a big jump for unskilled roll.

You are right, I hadn't thought it through for Lando. That seems a bit skewed.

9 hours ago, RookiePilot said:

This seems like unnecessarily complicating the roll progression for skill checks for very little difference... If you require at least one of a certain set of values for highly skilled and skilled checks, why use a different set of rules for evaluating unskilled checks?

My thinking was kind of the opposite actually. In combat hits are 1 and crits are 2. The overall idea being that an unskilled check just needs 2 successes. It seems comparable.

Not just Lando as well.

Doctor Aphra has the option to become skilled for a single attribute test roll per turn, so there are definitely balancing mechanics built in to the characters.