What to buy now

By czechImenhotep, in Runewars List Building

Hello,

I read a lot of topics about what to buy. Have posbility to buy on cheap cores+command packs+death knights+crosbowmen+some heroes. Also Elves starter and command pack. I have no money for everything.

I donť understand recommendation to buy 2 cores or two packs of crosbowmen. Maybe I am missing something. Read a lot of army lists here and for example never see more than 2 units of 3x1 crossbowmans (need 1 expansion only). I hope I understand it right, that 3x 1 means i need 3 figures. So i dont need more than 1 expansion of crosbowman because I never use more than 6 figures in 1 game. The same with cores, never see in these list using more than 16 spearmans, maybe using rune golems and big serpent miniatures and human cavalery model. Core box is great value but if I have lots of minis I dont ever use...well is not so good afterwards. If I use more reanimates in one core have no problem to fill gaps with some archers. Never see lists here to using more than 16 reanimates+8 archers for reanimate army, maybe I understand something wrong. Is 2x3 mean I need six figures?

Local shop has huge discount cca 60% but only fore some boxes not for everything, probably not have easy possibility to buy anything else on cheap easy.

May i Buy:

2 cores, 1 command pack for each army, 1 expansion of crosbowmen, 1 expansion of death knight, 1 maro, 1 lord hawthorne (or 1 death knight expansion more?)

or for the same price

1 core, 1 command pack for each army, 1 expansion of crosbowmen, 1 expansion of death knight, 1 maro, 1 lord hawthorne, 1 elf starter, 1 elf command pack (or 1 death knight expansion more?) (or + 1 essential pack) for the same price?

Elf core+elf command pack+essential pack cost the same as human/undead starter.

Also when I see elf army lists, I think that one elf core is enough, these list have lot of ventala skirmischers/tons of scions/ starter here is not so good value I think. Don know if its good ideat o buy 1 elf starter and command pack instead of 1 core box without posibility to buy another units cheap to expand. But maybe is better solution have another one army with unit variability with posibility to use elf units in both armies (hero abilities) or using Aymhelin Scion as rune golem as proxy or elf archers as xbow unit. Dont know its good idea. I dont want invest a lot into death game.

No problem for me to proxy cards and dials.

EDIT: More and more I read I am more confused, if I want more command packs for army/death knight and think to leave cheap elves at home and buy second core instead.

Edited by czechImenhotep

It's not figures but trays. So 3*1 crossbowmen means 12 figures aka 1.5 expansions

And 20 reanimates is 80 figures, 5cores.

Is it in Czech? Could you give here a link if you're not buying?

This comes down to what armies you might like to play. You're better off picking a faction, two at most, and then sticking with it. I have two factions, and I feel I barely have enough game bandwidth to really put them to use.

Thank you very much.

So 3*1 crossbowmen means 12 figures aka 1.5 expansions. I started to understand. So need 3 crosbowman expansion for 2 units 3*1.

So death knight 2x2 - 2x3 means, need 3 expansions

The rest...are 3 maybe 4 cores clever?

Need I 2 icommand pack for every army?

Edited by czechImenhotep

OK

3 cores

3 crosbowman expansion

3 death knight units

1 command pack for each army

1 maro

1 hawthorne

Any ideas? No scouts avaible.

I think the difficulty with going 3 cores is that you miss any upgrades contained in the individual packs. For example, if you don't buy a reanimate archer or reanimates pack, you won't have access to combat ingenuity or lingering dead, both of which have their place.

If you dropped 1 core, what other options are there for picking up packs? If, for example, you could do a Oathsworn/Reanimates/Reanimate Archers for about the same price, you'd have access to a good selection of tray configurations and ensure upgrade diversity.

1 hour ago, Vergilius said:

I think the difficulty with going 3 cores is that you miss any upgrades contained in the individual packs. For example, if you don't buy a reanimate archer or reanimates pack, you won't have access to combat ingenuity or lingering dead, both of which have their place.

There's one caveat with this: since FFG dropped official play support, local games may well allow proxies of cards now, so paying extra for a few cards may no longer be needed.

Does the Midwest League allow proxies or not? That's about as official as play is at the moment.

1 hour ago, Xelto said:

There's one caveat with this: since FFG dropped official play support, local games may well allow proxies of cards now, so paying extra for a few cards may no longer be needed.

Does the Midwest League allow proxies or not? That's about as official as play is at the moment.

That's a fair point. I don't suppose I've ever seen a casual game, which all we have locally now, turn away someone wanting to proxy.

2 hours ago, Xelto said:

Does   the Midwest  League allow proxies or not? That's about as official as play is at the  moment  .

At this current point in the game, I would never turn a player away from an event due to proxies (probably wouldn't bother me when the game was supported). If possible I would lend them the card for the day to avoid confusion.

My recommendation, if you want Daqan v. Waiqar, get 2 cores, 1 of each infantry expansion (I believe you can skip the spearman box as nothing new came in it, and if you are running the 9 tray without a golem, I would ask why). You'll want 6 trays of both factions cav, so 1 extra oathsworn box, and 3 death knight boxes. 2 crossbow packs for the 3x1, and at least 1 command pack for both factions.

Highly recommend having every hero, but if picking 1 non-core I'd say lord V and Baron Z.

If you would rather focus on one faction, Latari are very fun, and not too expensive to get what you need. 1 core, 1 deepwood, 1 leonx, 3 ventala, 1 scion, and both extra heroes.

15 minutes ago, Jukey said:

If you would rather focus on one faction, Latari are very fun, and not too expensive to get what you need. 1 core, 1 deepwood, 1 leonx  , 3 ventala, 1 scion, and both extra heroes.    

Wow. I don't know if I ever thought if of as succinctly. Of course, the standard infantry command + essentials is necessary. For where they are at in the game, I like Latari more than Daqan.

To be sure, the core boxes are cheap and give you a lot of options is you’re just playing each other. Unfortunately, as Jukey points out, there’s no ranged units for Daqan and no cavalry for Waiqar in those sets. Fortunately, everything is just so cheap right now that you can build out a large force for $200- not sure what your budget is...

If you like that idea, 2 core sets, plus Hawthorne, 2 x Crossbowmen, Lord V, 2 x Death Knights gets you a lot of playing material for less than $150. I would skip the Outland Scouts and Wraiths from those factions until you get bored with what you have.

Uthuk is right out! 😎

If OK with OP want to ask asimilar question and thought here better than starting a new thread so similar -

Advise sought - Have bought into the game to play predominantly at home with the kids (both fairly experienced gamers). Have just picked up:
2 Core
Lord Hawthorne
Oathsworn Cavalry
Infantry Command
Ankaur Maro
2 Chaos Death Knights
Infantry Command
Latari Elves Army Starter
Infantry Command
Will likely play around 100-150pt due to table size available at home so wondering if there are any other units we should be looking at picking up for these 3 factions?

As someone who play Daqan quite a bit, I would suggest you get Baron Zacareth- He really pumps up Golems and his set includes a unique terrain piece- not to mention that the Baron himself is a great unit.

I would also get the Heavy Crossbowmen sets, enough to get about 4-6 trays. The Outland Scouts can be left for later- they’re a more esoteric unit type.

For Waiqar, Lord V is probably the best hero they have, but he’s definitely more complicated with his movement and transform ability.

For Latari, I would get another core set, a couple of boxes of Ventala and Prince Faolan, but I’m sure @Jukey will have something to add...