Other Runebound Shards

By klempad, in Realms of Terrinoth

Is it reasonable to assume the 17 shards listed in the book are not the only existing types?

And if not, has anyone specced out any additional ones?

I have found that staying with the Lesser Shard template and keeping the named shards rare prevents the game from becoming "just use a shard" for each character. It seems to be a big hit with the group as the runes retain a special and treasured property. As for the activations, I think of odd utilities to diversify their problem and puzzle-solving toolbox. Here are some of the one my group has found:

• Stone of Sickness
    • Implement : Add the Enervate modifier once without increase the difficulty of a Curse spell.
    • Activation : One target within short range adds +2 Setback die to their next Resilience check this scene or encounter. Cannot be used on the same target more than once per encounter or scene.
  • Shard of Needles
    • Implement : Add the Deadly modifier once without increasing the difficulty of a Attack spell.
    • Activation : May pierce a hole the size of a small nail in a surface of soft leather or weaker within short range (GM's decision).
  • Aegis Rune
    • Implement : Add the Additional Target modifier once without increasing the difficulty of a Barrier spell.
    • Activation : One target within engaged range gains either +1 Ranged Defense or +1 Melee Defense until the end of their next turn (users choice).
  • Liars Spiral
    • Implement : When using the Utility spell to disguise oneself as someone else they have seen within the last day, add +2 Boost die to the Deception check. Disguise lasts a number minutes equal to 5 times the user's ranks in Lore.
    • Activation : Gain +2 Boost and +1 Setback to your next Deception check

Hope this was helpful.

Edited by HaphazardNinja
18 hours ago, IamGazrok said:

I actually went through my Runebound and Descent games and recorded them as well. Can see all here. I converted to more D&D but still a reference. https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/235523/folder/244417

Noice!

Note, the RoT book also describes legendary "Stars", which seem to be even more powerful runestones (or bigger pieces of Timmoran's original Orb). I've actually done a little on those, but it's marked as "Secret" in my campaign site, to keep it away from the players' eyes. As a lark, I based them on the "Treasures of Rule" from the old cartoon Pirates of Darkwater....including a Compass to help find them. (part of the storyline of the campaign).