Expansion (Small-Box) #1: Dead of Night

By Duciris, in Arkham Horror

ahb04_box_left.png

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/6/11/dead-of-night/

From the Live Stream:

Double the size of ever encounter decks.

4 New Investigators

• Rolands Banks The Fed (Guardian Seeker)
  • "Skids" O'Toole The Ex-Convict
  • Kate Winthrop The Scientist
  • Diana Stanley The Redeemed Cultist

2 New Scenarios

• Shots in the Dark
  • Silence of Tsathoggua

New Monster Card Holder

Edited by Duciris
Correct spelling of Tsathoggua

ahb04_spread.png

ahb04_a1_shots-sheet1.jpg

ahb04_a1_skids-sheet1.jpg

ahb04_a1_on-the-lamb.png ahb04_a1_switchblade.png ahb04_a1_lite-fingers.png

Starting card is "On the Lam" and choice of "Switchblade" or "Light Fingers"

From the Live Stream:

Roland Banks

• " Fight for the Truth - As part an attack action, you may add one to thr result of a number of dice equal to the number of clues in your neighborhood."
  • Focus Limit: 2, Health:7 , Sanity: 5 ; 2 Lore , 2 Influence , 3 Observation , 3 Strength , 3 Will

Starting "0.38 Special" & choice of "Follow Up" or "Implacable"
0.38 Special

• Item - Common Weapon
  • "You get +2 Strength as part of an attack action. If the monster you are attacking has a remnant icon, you get +3 Strength instead."

Follow Up

• Talent - Innate
  • "When you would gain a remnant, you may spawn a clue instead."

Implacable

• Talent - Innate
  • "When you would gain a remnant, you may regain 1 health and 1 sanity instead."

---

There's a new condition card which I'm adding here not for the interesting bits of mechanic it has but rather the outstanding artwork on it. Incredibly evocative.

ahb04_a1_wanted-condition.png

Edited by Duciris
Added Roland's stats and cards & also great atwork card

It is the same art as on the Eldritch Horror Wanted Condition card, just cropped differently. This cropped version is actually better as it has more focus on the pursuit instead of The Red-Gloved Man behind the wheel

CBEE6A43-E7AC-4C96-96D8-2CDFE1371EAF.png

Good stuff. I've been eagerly awaiting news on what to expect from the small box expansions for 3ed. So far I'm a fan.

I gotta say that I am pretty excited for this expansion. I wasn't at first watching the live feed as i was hoping that FFG would start to introduce some of the "other worldly" locations in the game. Portals to planets and dimensions are what makes a good Lovecraftian game. BUT, the more i thought about what they are doing with this particular expansion the more i like the idea. The organized crime part seems like it is going to be so much fun. If you want to watch a totally hokey but fun movie on gangsters in the Lovecraft Universe watch Cast a Deadly Spell , a 1991 HBO movie, that you can find on Amazon Prime for free. Well worth the watch.

Good job on this FFG

ahb04_slider_pon.png

New article all about the ladies:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/8/26/reason-and-insight/

ahb04_sheet_kate-winthrop1.png

ahb04_card_research-notes.png Starting card

ahb04_card_flux-stabilizer.png ahb04_card_replicable-findings.png Choice cards

ahb04_sheet_diana-stanley1.png

ahb04_card_dark-insight.png Starting Card

ahb04_card_call-the-storm.png ahb04_card_stolen-amulet.png Choice cards

Really looking forward to playing as Diana on Veil of Twilight!

Woo-hoo! Now let's hurry up and get Daisy Walker in the next expansion!

Edited by Duciris

So, is it just me, or does anyone else think that cheerful fellow on Shots in the Dark looks exactly like GOB Bluth?

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, rsdockery said:

So, is it just me, or does anyone else think that cheerful fellow on Shots in the Dark looks exactly like GOB Bluth?

I think GOB has a more narrow face, but I love it conceptually!

On 6/11/2019 at 7:38 PM, Duciris said:

From the Live Stream:

Double the size of ever encounter decks.

This is the best thing for me. I really like if this expansion heads into a "forsaken lore" direction. Amazing stuff, it will be an insta buy for me!

Dead of Night is shipping now!

Components

2 Scenario Sheets

4 Investigator Sheets

Large Cards (159)

7 Headline Cards

20 Archive Cards (10 per scenario)

12 Anomaly Cards (1 deck for 1 scenario)

48 Event Cards (24 per scenario)

72 Encounter Cards (doubles each location deck)

Small Cards (80)

4 Ally Cards

4 Item Cards

4 Spell Cards

28 Special Cards

12 Starting Cards (3 per investigator)

6 Wanted Condition Cards

22 Monster Cards

Monster Deck Holder (in 5 pieces)

4 Investigator Tokens (with plastic stands)

8 "3 Clue/Doom" Tokens

7 "1 Clue/Doom" Tokens

Edited by Duciris
On 6/11/2019 at 1:38 PM, Duciris said:

2 New Scenarios

• Shots in the Dark
  • Silence of Tsathoggua

I love Shots in the Dark ! There's been complaints that Influence & Will aren't particularly necessary in the game. They are here.

We (Diana & Roland barely scraped through by the skin of our teeth on the last round before we died from Doom overload. We were 6 doom out the previous round, but Codex #1 (from the base game) is in play and we had a gate burst (Rumor card) hit the Merchant District and setup a chain event in all 3 spaces. Then (same Mythos Phase) we drew a doom which put the same card back into play and hit all 3 spaces, setting up another triple hit. We did the math on the Chaos Cup, and there were 2 tokens left: a Doom & a Gate Burst. The card on top of the encounter deck was another Merchant District & the only card in the discard pile was the Merchant District that cost us 3 already, and we were both 5 spaces away from it. We had 2 separate endgames (I'm pretty sure the other codex offered an endgame) but had a preferred option which was nearly impossible to achieve, and somehow we did!

Silence of Tsathoggua should have a disclaimer, it's a long map (4 tiles in a row) it needs to be played with a bigger group (or maybe a teleporter). 2 investigators did not cut it. I look forward to attempting it with a more diverse (and numerous) team.

The new investigators are great too. Their abilities & starter equipment are really synergetic. I've enjoyed playing all four new characters, but I need to get a better handle on Kate Winthrop (I think she's got merit, but I had monsters all over her from the get-go).

14 hours ago, ArkhamChronicle said:

No new tokens (except for the bigger triple doom/clue tokens) for AH3, but if I haven't mentioned it before the AH: Final Hour has 26 tokens, all shuffled by type at the begging of the game (except for 1 starting/ritual site location token I suppose). All of those tokens are 19mm 1€ / 1¢ (1 Euro / 1 US Penny) size. Thechnically they are 19.2mm (someone thought I should have calipers for work) but the Lighthouse Coin Capsules for 19mm Coins (CENTS) fit like a dream.

It should be available in the UK next week.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:57 AM, Duciris said:

I love Shots in the Dark ! There's been complaints that Influence & Will aren't particularly necessary in the game. They are here.

True. Phil made a great job at covering some of the game's known issues.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:57 AM, Duciris said:

Silence of Tsathoggua should have a disclaimer, it's a long map (4 tiles in a row) it needs to be played with a bigger group (or maybe a teleporter). 2 investigators did not cut it. I look forward to attempting it with a more diverse (and numerous) team.

I kinda missed this when I first read your post. Not so sure if it helps, but I managed to beat it 4 times with 3 investigators, so, possibly you don't need that many more. Also because of how the Mythos cup works (and yes, I've seen people beating - with difficulties - playing 2p. It's just very, very hard with 2)

Still no sign of this being released in Australia. :(

I have it in Adelaide as of Friday.