Using stuff from later expansions in a campaign

By mischraum.de, in Imperial Assault Campaign

I have all expansions. Do you think if we start e.g. the Jabba's Realm campaign that only stuff from up to this expansion should be used (items, heroes, units etc.) for balance reasons or is it just fine that also more recent stuff gets used? I guess for open groups newer imperial units have a better value for their cost but maybe it is the same with the stuff the rebels can buy. What is your experience?

You can use any heroes, items, and imperial groups. (You may choose to customize the supply deck though.)

The choice of imperial groups depend as much on the class deck you use as the heroes. And the choice of agenda sets depend on the heroes and your class deck choice.

(Health / cost ratio is not everything.)

Edited by a1bert

Honestly from a balance standpoint I think you're alright with using anything. Yeah some of the newer imperial units might be a little bit more efficient, but in the campaign it's really not that pronounced. Like a1bert said, which groups are the best choices is probably more dependent on your class and agenda cards. Some of the strongest heroes and imperial classes in the game are from the core set, and there are good and bad items from all expansions.

With that said, though, if you're the kind of group that values a more thematic experience it might be more fun to concentrate on bringing imperial units from the current expansion. Not only is it good from a story perspective (why are these wing guards protecting jabba???) but it also prevents fatigue from seeing the same units over and over if you play a lot of different campaigns (...oh great, more riot troopers.....)

17 minutes ago, ManateeX said:

Honestly from a balance standpoint I think you're alright with using anything. Yeah some of the newer imperial units might be a little bit more efficient, but in the campaign it's really not that pronounced. Like a1bert said, which groups are the best choices is probably more dependent on your class and agenda cards. Some of the strongest heroes and imperial classes in the game are from the core set, and there are good and bad items from all expansions.

With that said, though, if you're the kind of group that values a more thematic experience it might be more fun to concentrate on bringing imperial units from the current expansion. Not only is it good from a story perspective (why are these wing guards protecting jabba???) but it also prevents fatigue from seeing the same units over and over if you play a lot of different campaigns (...oh great, more riot troopers.....)

Definitely agree with the last clause. Both from the narrative standpoint and the gameplay balance (min-maxer with all the units will lead to boring scenarios).

That being said, throwing in screwball continuity errors can be pretty funny if you think ahead with some jokes/twists.
- Hoth campaign, facing down a traitor to the rebellion on a snow planet. The Imp player was supposed to deploy the traitor figure and an optional deployment. He had a monologue prepared (short sum), "behold, the reason I joined the empire ... was because of my imperial lover!!" and he deployed the ugnaught with this fake grin nodding his head like it's the most dramatic thing in the world.
- Deploying a tuskan raiding party with bantha rider into the streets of Courscant, and responding to all questions WHY with "Ourrr'rr'r'r'r'r'rr"

So yeah, if you're going for drama, be smart about it. If you're more casual light-hearted = use the mismatch to your advantage.

Well, personally I‘d say bringing units that are totally out of place is not the way to go for me.

2 hours ago, mischraum.de said:

Well, personally I‘d say bringing units that are totally out of place is not the way to go for me.

So much of this is about your group and what experience you want to emphasize for your players. Some groups are super competitive and cutthroat, and want a huge strategic challenge, and Open Groups and hero / class deck selections will reflect this.

For me the campaign is about having fun, being a little competitive , but not at the expense of fun and theme. I always choose thematic units, try to find ways to get villains to the table - even though they are usually not the optimal choice for winning. But when you drop Vader or Bossk or Emperor on the table, and all the players go “Ooooooooh!!!!” - that’s what campaign is all about. My favorite missions are ones that are a challenge and come right down to the last activation or two. Those are the best!

As much as I've paid for all this stuff, I darn well am gonna bring it with me on campaign.