Help with ideas for 2v2 mini tournament

By Mandalore of the Rings, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Gonna do another mini tournament with other expats but we have fewer players this year :( so I was thinking a fun way to do it would be 2v2 four player games (only four of us). I LOVE 2v2 but I also want a single tournament winner. This way we can have more winners too! So I was thinking of having a couple games of 2v2 with different teams for each. Each player would keep a tally of their own points won (by kills or by objectives or whatever) and the winning partners of each game would also get a bonus (to encourage at least a little teamwork). So, say A and B play C and D first game and win, A and B each get their individual points PLUS maybe an 8 point bonus? Then A and C play B and D and the winning partnership gets that bonus again (plus whatever they individually scored).

Any weird things you might anticipate happening? I could see maybe A and B (even if they are together) still racing each other for objectives or kills... Anything else?

Maybe it's just easier to do All versus All? I do love the partnership aspect though...

Is 8 a good number for winning pairs to get? More? Less? I was thinking of playing just to 55 or 50 to keep the games a bit faster...

At UKGE the official side event that Aneurin put together was two simultaneous 2v2 matches, where the winning two teams were then put into a 4 player free for all to compete for a spot gloss Vinto (drooool right?). It lets you have some of the teamwork action, followed by an almost-swiss-style-cut, and then a free for all brawl in the top 4. I wasn't able to play in this as I was still in the main tournament but it sounded like a lot of fun to me.

3 hours ago, penguizaur said:

it sounded like a lot of fun to me.

Oh wow! That sounds really fun! We only have four players though... Maybe we should just do one 2v2 and one All v All...

What's a spot gloss Vinto? I know who Vinto is but not the former part. Something pre-painted?

Oh, another q. I have Hoth and JR so can do either of those 4 player maps. I've played them both and like them well enough. Is the HotE 4 player map much better? I have time to take it to the local printer and get it made... Anyone played on it?

1 hour ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

What's a spot gloss Vinto? I know who Vinto is but not the former part. Something pre-painted?

I can't speak to your 4-player questions as I've never tried it, but "spot-gloss" is a fancy way of printing cards so that they're super-shiny (something like this: https://www.jukeboxprint.com/spot-uv-business-cards ).

One of the organized play prizes that FFG came out with was a Vinto card printed like that. It's a bit of a popular item among the people who collect the alt-art prizes because 1) it's rare (to my knowledge they've only been given out at a few select national/international-level tournaments) and 2) it looks really super cool :)

From what I gather, the newer 4 player maps are quite a bit more interesting than hoth. Also remember that R2's command card isn't allowed in 4 player. I'm definitely a sucker for the spot gloss cards, wondering if they'll have a new one for Euros this year haha.

Where could I find this rule with the R2 command card?

Edited by mischraum.de
1 hour ago, mischraum.de said:

Where could I find this rule with the R2 command card?

Can't find a specific ruling anywhere.

There was a one-time ban for a free-for-all tournament once;

It would be much cooler if it was a special figure... cards are cool and all but having a unique pose of Vinto (or heck, even Biv) would be next level.

I know they'd never put that much effort into a prize though... cards are pretty easy to design.

On another note, those Bossk and Sabine figs for Legion look pretty darn cool. Sigh... I guess I could swap them out for what I have...

47 minutes ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

It would be much cooler if it was a special figure... cards are cool and all but having a unique pose of Vinto (or heck, even Biv) would be next level.

I know they'd never put that much effort into a prize though... cards are pretty easy to design.

On another note, those Bossk and Sabine figs for Legion look pretty darn cool. Sigh... I guess I could swap them out for what I have...

I think people have wanted the custom poses for ages, and then Legion gets the Celebration Vader (and also a little upgrade card pack, which IA has been begging for too lol). I ended up just heavily modifying my models on my own by chopping up Legion models and combining them with IA models XD

On 6/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, penguizaur said:

modifying my models on my own by chopping up Legion models and combining them with IA models

wow, that sounds pretty cool. did you put pictures up somewhere?

4 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

wow, that sounds pretty cool. did you put pictures up somewhere?

Here is a photo which contains a bunch of them. My not-quite-Spectre Cell: Kanan, Ahsoka, Hera, Sabine, Chopper, and Ezra. The main mods are LEDs (most of the electrical bits were done by Kei from https://www.fullmodlighting.com/ ), Ahsoka's pose was flipped around a bit, and Sabine'd helmet was replaced, pose adjusted a bit, and she is magnetized to a jetpack base.

spectres.gif

wow. (while shaking my head, 'cause in comparison mine suck... actually, even without comparing, mine suck... just not a painter)