I want your questions for Worlds Reveal Stream, June 13!

By FFGMatt, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

The tournament structure for Worlds 2018 was a huge improvement upon 2017, especially in regards to qualifying for day 2 cut and the structuring of Day 2. Can you please use the same format this year with an additional improvement of those who go undefeated day 1 get a buy in the first round of the cut?

P.s. allowing note taking would speed up the completion time of your rounds

Edited by SirLargeness
On 6/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, Hinomura said:

Which European country do you think this year's winner will be from?

Lichtenstein.

UUUUUUULRICH VON....

He's dull, he's drab...………..He's probably playing Crab

Lichtenstein

Lichtenstein

In war, he's born...……...He's splashing Unicorn

Lichtenstein

Lichtenstein

I'm calling it now:

2019 WC Winner, Ulrich von Lichtenstein, Crab/Unicorn

Edited by Ishi Tonu
On 6/5/2019 at 5:00 PM, FFGMatt said:

If you're interested in judging, shoot me an email. [email protected]. I typically hire judges for all our Worlds events. They're selected from prominent tournament organizers and people that ask about judging :)

What is FFG waiting for to have a Judge and a Tournament Organizer program?
With a real judge program, there's a better chance to have really competent judge officiating THE tournament of the year.

So Worlds is the epicenter for the most sought after and rare promos. Backhanded Compliments are basically all gone. So my question is this..

How do you decide which cards should be promos at Worlds specifically? And will there be any intention to make more copies of [not prize] promos like Backhanded?

And finally.. any chance we can take a peek under the hood for any of the promos that are going to be available at Worlds?

11 hours ago, Foxtrot Four said:

And finally.. any chance we can take a peek under the hood for any of the promos that are going to be available at Worlds?

Aren't the promos clan theme based on whichever team wins the most points somehow? That would mean even FFG don't know what the promos are going to be as they'll only be able to work it out post-Gencon. Personally, I'd be happy if they did away with that altogether and either started rotating clans or better yet had the promos story themed based on whatever was currently going on.

Oh and make worlds prizes available on prize walls later in the year. It's pretty weird having everyone at Kotei contributing points all across the world but the results are locked into the players who get the invite.

1 minute ago, Bazleebub said:

Oh and make worlds prizes available on prize walls later in the year. It's pretty weird having everyone at Kotei contributing points all across the world but the results are locked into the players who get the invite.

This is the important part of it for me. The promos are determined by players playing in Kotei, but only players playing at Worlds get the benefit, which seems backwards.

1 hour ago, Evilgm said:

This is the important part of it for me. The promos are determined by players playing in Kotei, but only players playing at Worlds get the benefit, which seems backwards.

I would echo the sentiment as the odds of me shelling out to attend worlds (especially with the invites only to play in the main event) are very slim, but I would love the opportunity to get my hands on the promos without paying the absurd secondary market price that others use to fund their travel.

It's probably covered though as a first timer at Worlds ... how will it work? Do I register or just turn up with my Lotus invitation? What can I expect from the schedule?

And when will be have the dates (with events per day) so that travel and hotels can be arranged?

Thanks

Guy

Obviously this isn't an official response, but I try to help where I can :)

When registration goes live, it'll ask how and where you got your invitation, Guy. That information gets cross-referenced with a master list.

For the schedule, from what has been mentioned or intimated elsewhere you can expect one pre-Worlds grinder on the first day, then either one or two days of Worlds qualifying followed by a knockout day on Sunday. Your invitation means you can skip the grinder and choose (if there are multiple days) a qualified to take part in.

There will also likely be side events each day, for all the different games being run. In previous years, buying a main event ticket has been $75 per game (so if you wanted to play in both L5R and Thrones, it would cost $150). Side events however are free for all games if you hold ANY main event ticket - so if you're playing L5R, you can enter side events for any game.

Dates will definitely be in the announcement. Try and give yourself a day buffer on either side - if the event starts on Thursday, try and fly in on Tuesday, and if you're flying back on Monday, book the next day off work too. Your body will thank you.

You're welcome to drop me a PM on here or Facebook if you have any other questions I might be able to help with. Look forward to seeing you in November!

Mark

Edited by Hinomura
3 hours ago, Bazleebub said:

Aren't the promos clan theme based on whichever team wins the most points somehow?

I was kind of hoping for the top of clan gold/silver cards.

13 hours ago, Foxtrot Four said:

I was kind of hoping for the top of clan gold/silver cards.

That was a pretty big success last year, so I'd be surprised if they weren't doing something similar again this year.

Last year was the Scorpion Winter court, so the attendance promo was Backhanded Compliment, one of the top prizes was the Scorpion Stronghold in the new frame, and the top 4 and Shogun got Scorpion themed playmats. I especially dislike the playmats as in my experience players will play with playmats matching their clan. A neutral Shogun playmat would be much better!

Any further information for those planning on going to Worlds for the first time would be useful like should we look for places to stay ourselves or does FFG have some co-op with nearby hotels that players generally use or have the option on offers and so on. I'm mostly interested in knowing if, after looking for flights I should look for a place to stay or wait for some offer possibility to book some convenient suggested place to sleep.

@Togashi Komhl I don't believe FFG does a housing block, at least I don't recall anyone talking about one in the past...but I could be wrong.

EDIT: had more before I realized what thread I was writing in. 😅

Edited by Kaito Kikaze

Any changes to role selection this year?

On 6/5/2019 at 3:39 PM, Tonbo Karasu said:

Is the set legality for the Worlds going to be based on the official release dates, or the actual release dates of sets? For example, Masters of Court was officially released 25 April, but shops in the UK still don't have access to order it. It would be unfortunate if access to card pool was based on where you lived, rather than a level playing field.

We intend to go off the official release dates, but if there's a similar issue to what Masters of the Court experienced in the UK we'll address it as needed.

17 hours ago, FFGMatt said:

We intend to go off the official release dates, but if there's a similar issue to what Masters of the Court experienced in the UK we'll address it as needed.

Is there a risk of the same issue happening again? It was never confirmed what the actual issue was, so we've no idea if it has been resolved of if it could impact other areas.

5 hours ago, Bazleebub said:

Is there a risk of the same issue happening again? It was never confirmed what the actual issue was, so we've no idea if it has been resolved of if it could impact other areas.

Not at this time, and we've put in place some systems to make sure we (OP) know about product delays for our games and can then communicate on them much more promptly.