I want your questions for Worlds Reveal Stream, June 13!

By FFGMatt, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Hi everyone, it's Matt Holland, Organized Play Community Coordinator! If you'd be so kind, please reply to this thread with any particular questions (about Worlds) that you'd like to see us cover on our FFG Live Stream about L5R and Thrones World Championships on June 13 at 1PM. We will definitely have dates and locations, and definitely will not share prizes, but other than that, I want to cover as much as we are able and this will help over trying to pick questions out of a fast-moving Twitch chat. I'll be pulling from here until about 48hrs before the stream.

Thanks!

(Note, this is for Worlds-specific questions only, sorry!)

Tournament structure for the Last Chance Qualifiers? Who advances?

Side events?

Prize-wall still in effect (without going into the specifics of the contents)?

Any love for L5R RPG at Worlds?

those events at worlds (or before/after worlds) that are for said thing (like world invite or hatamoto title)are you going to allow someone with that said thing already into that event? example would be worlds invite pre thing that is right before worlds and someone already with an invite, will they be allowed to play in that event or not?

There will be side events at Worlds? If yes, how many and at what days?

There will be stories prizes again (i think so, but no problem asking)? If yes, in case that have side events, they will have story prizes too?

Is the set legality for the Worlds going to be based on the official release dates, or the actual release dates of sets? For example, Masters of Court was officially released 25 April, but shops in the UK still don't have access to order it. It would be unfortunate if access to card pool was based on where you lived, rather than a level playing field.

L5R specific but based on current Kotei results it looks like Scorpion are in the lead to become the "host" clan for this years Winter Court again like last year.

Is there a plan going forward to try and offset a dominant clan in one release cycle from building up an early enough lead at the start of the next Kotei season before balance issues may be addressed and coasting it to a win during the remainder season so that we have a better distribution of attendance prizes rather then each year being the same dominant clans?

Edited by Schmoozies

Will the entire Inheritance cycle be legal for the WC?

Which clan packs will be legal for the WC?

1 minute ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Will the entire Inheritance cycle be legal for the WC?

Which clan packs will be legal for the WC?

I would like my question to be THIS question!

Will a Shadowlands expansion be released before or after the WC?

How do you select Judges for the event/s?
Is there an application process, or are they hand picked?

15 minutes ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

How do you select Judges for the event/s?
Is there an application process, or are they hand picked?

If you're interested in judging, shoot me an email. [email protected]. I typically hire judges for all our Worlds events. They're selected from prominent tournament organizers and people that ask about judging :)

Which European country do you think this year's winner will be from?

Edited by Hinomura

Will any L5R Roleplaying events be taking place during the weekend?

Edited by Ide Yoshiya
12 minutes ago, Ide Yoshiya said:

Will any L5R Roleplaying events be taking place during the weekend?

That's a cool suggestion. I don't know if it was in the plans already, but I'll certainly suggest it!

Will the L5R 'reskinned' version of Age of War be revealed at the WC, or will this be announced later?

Interested in knowing:

• The confirmed dates of the Winter court?
  • The Structure of those days including last chance qualifiers for those without EC, Kotei or GC invites?
  • Events for those with won invites?
  • The side events?
  • Prize awards (Koku? Tickets?) and Prize wall?
  • Attendance goodies?

Thanks

Jason

Edited by JasonHamer

Hey Matt. Could you explain a little about your role and what we can look forward to?

In relation to the event itself:

• Are we going to see a stream for the weekend? (last years was very well received)
  • Can we have Lotus Pavilion for the tournament tracking?
  • Will this be the last chance to use Koku from the Kunshu (the current) season? If so, will there be anything special players who already have all the promo cards can spend their prize wall Koku on?
  • Hatamoto of this year get an invite to worlds, but the Hall of Honor was never updated, will we see even a list of names before Worlds?
  • Are there plans for talks/panels at Winter Court? If so will they be streamed?
  • Would FFG be so kind as to post top cut decklists?
  • Will non-LCG L5R like Battle for Rokugan be part of the weekend?
  • Will the multiplayer format feature?
  • Is there anything from last year that didn't work as well as intended?
  • Was anything a surprise success?
  • What lessons were learnt that is being put in action this year?
  • Will there be anything for the players not at worlds to get involved, either online as votes or in our local stores as events?

More as I think of them! I won't be hurt if you ignore any or all of the above 😉

Edited by Bazleebub
4 minutes ago, Bazleebub said:
  • Will there be anything for the players not at worlds to get involved, either online as votes or in our local stores as events?

Huge second on this idea, Gen Con is introducing their pop-up events this year with what seems like pretty favorable reception (aside from how limited in scope this test run will be). It would be super awesome if something similar could be coordinated for local stores. I think it could generate a lot of good will among the players who don't have the time or resources to travel to worlds...especially those who maybe earned an invite but can't make the main event regardless.

Will there be any alternative format events?

Will there be a play-in day for players that didn't win an invite and, if so, how will it function? Will there be anything for those of us who did get invites to do on that day or is it just for people to qualify?

Can we get specific dates? It makes it a LOT easier to plan travel and time off from work when we have more than two months to schedule time off from work.

Who will be doing streaming commentary? Is it possible to get Fro and Aneil again for days they're not playing? (I love your guys but having two of the top players doing commentary was fantastic)

Will there be non-CCG events? RPG (someone already asked about this so just including it for completeness sake), Battle For Rokugan, costume contest, etc.

Can we get any hints about storyline decisions?

Today (June 13) is my birthday. Can I get a happy birthday? ID proof available upon request.

Will the roles choices, work like last years?

With the number of cards that ask you to remember what's in your opponents hand and deck, I ask; will taking notes mid game be made legal for worlds? And if not, is there any intention to do so in the future?

1 hour ago, Foxtrot Four said:

With the number of cards that ask you to remember what's in your opponents hand and deck, I ask; will taking notes mid game be made legal for worlds? And if not, is there any intention to do so in the future?

There are ZERO cards that ask you to remember such details. 😉

1 hour ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

There are ZERO cards that ask you to remember such details. 😉

But there are cards like Gossip that provide an advantage if you are aware of the cards that are in opponents hands, and that is why note taking is a bad idea.

Not to mention the possibility of it being used as a stall tactic for forcing games to time, nope don't want it in the game.

1 hour ago, Schmoozies said:

But there are cards like Gossip that provide an advantage if you are aware of the cards that are in opponents hands, and that is why note taking is a bad idea.

Not to mention the possibility of it being used as a stall tactic for forcing games to time, nope don't want it in the game.

It's cards like Gossip and the new SH that should absolutely encourage note taking!

Aniel was King during his reign as a Dragon player because he has a photographic memory. When he uses Kitsuki Investigators he can remember not only what was in your hand at the time but what you have and have not used from your hand 2 turns from that exposure. All without notes, it IS a tactical advantage and those who can do this without pad and pencil have a STRICT advantage over those who can't.

Second, to refute your point on using it as a stall tactic is fallacious. MTG has had legal note taking since the 90's and they STILL play best two out of three in 1.5hrs. And if you think there hasn't been a "Gossip" like effect in Magic then you're very wrong. There have been cards in MTG that make Gossip look weak by comparison. The peak being "guess a card, reveal their hand, discard all copies"

BUT I DIGRESS! The desicion is up to the OP team, and I sincerely hope they side with note taking

5 minutes ago, Foxtrot Four said:

BUT I DIGRESS! The desicion is up to the OP team, and I sincerely hope they side with note taking

With my zero official capacity, can I suggest you/we take this to another thread.
Note-taking has absolutely nothing to do with Worlds.