Conflicts with no ring?

By twinstarbmc, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

If there are no unclaimed rings, but a player still has an opportunity to declare a conflict, can that conflict be declared? I felt like this was already ruled on, but I can't seem to find it.

Specific examples:

1. Both my opponent and I are using Hisu Mori Toride, and both of us have been able to earn a third conflict. My opponent went first, and has declaired all three of their conflicts. I've already declared two. All of the rings have been claimed. Do I still get my third conflict?
  2. I am using Shiro Kitsuki. Over the course of the first two conflicts - mine and my opponent's - all 5 rings have already been claimed. What happens to our remaining conflicts?

Many thanks!

9 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

If there are no unclaimed rings, but a player still has an opportunity to declare a conflict, can that conflict be declared? I felt like this was already ruled on, but I can't seem to find it.

Specific examples:

1. Both my opponent and I are using Hisu Mori Toride, and both of us have been able to earn a third conflict. My opponent went first, and has declaired all three of their conflicts. I've already declared two. All of the rings have been claimed. Do I still get my third conflict?
  2. I am using Shiro Kitsuki. Over the course of the first two conflicts - mine and my opponent's - all 5 rings have already been claimed. What happens to our remaining conflicts?

Many thanks!

Step 3.2 of Conflict Declaration - In order to declare a conflict, the attacking player must:

Declare the type and element of the conflict to be initiated. This is indicated by selecting a ring from the unclaimed ring pool (this ring is known as the contested ring, and defines the element of the conflict), and placing it on an opponent's eligible unbroken province (this indicates which province is being attacked) with either the military side or the political side faceup (the faceup side of the contested ring defines the type of the conflict).

1 minute ago, Schmoozies said:

Step 3.2 of Conflict Declaration - In order to declare a conflict, the attacking player must:

Declare the type and element of the conflict to be initiated. This is indicated by selecting a ring from the unclaimed ring pool (this ring is known as the contested ring, and defines the element of the conflict), and placing it on an opponent's eligible unbroken province (this indicates which province is being attacked) with either the military side or the political side faceup (the faceup side of the contested ring defines the type of the conflict).

Yes, I get that. I guess I'd just feel better if it was explicitly stated somewhere that if you cannot select a ring, you cannot declare a conflict.

Just now, twinstarbmc said:

Yes, I get that. I guess I'd just feel better if it was explicitly stated somewhere that if you cannot select a ring, you cannot declare a conflict.

It was ruled on Hisu Mori Torride that there must be an available ring to declare a conflict (from the Mirror or Lion/Unicorn match) but the reasoning behind the ruling was the requirement to select a ring as part of conflict declaration that I quoted above.