Terrinoth absent from FFG's stands at UK Games Expo

By Watercolour Dragon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Checked out FFG's stands at the UK Games Expo: Loads of Star Wars and Keyforge (not surprisingly as Keyforge is new and they love Star Wars), some Arkham Horror and GOT titles, two demo tables of Lords of the Rings Journeys In Middle Earth (had a play demo and I do really like it- it should appeal to Descent fans especially Descent fans who like the app, it's not Descent of course but it's a very enjoyable fantasy game nonetheless. People playing it seemed impressed including myself.)

BUT no Terrinoth AT ALL, no Runewars Miniatures (they had the equivalent Star Wars ones so this adds to the ill portents for the game) and most surprisingly no Heroes of Terrinoth, no Genesys, no Genesys sourcebook (Realms of Terrinoth/Android) plugging. All quite recent products. Maybe FFG missed the class on publicity and brand awareness. In crowded markets things that aren't promoted get forgotten or missed altogether in the first place.

People were scooping up the discounted RWM boxes from the retailer that had some of them on their stand at a very good price (The Latari core set had sold out before Sunday) so there IS demand there for Terrinoth content- lots of people asking about the other RWM boxes and the retailer's confirmed they are getting more stock of the whole RWM line in, can't help thinking FFG have rather lacked faith in the line and didn't keep promoting it enough- if it is dead as some RWM fans online think then FFG have given up on it too early in their current IP obsession, but a retailer ordering in optimistic levels of the whole line has to be some sort of small hope, but like I say they too could be taking advantage of it being cut in price and also FFG may be making incorrect assumptions about the potential lack of demand which if it's the case is more down to their non-existent marketing. I commented a bit on this in the 'Sadlers are back' post thread.

And why they didn't even have Heroes of Terrinoth at the expo is beyond me. It only came out last year so it's the first expo post-release, FFG really need some smarter people making such decisions, the expo's the UK's biggest gaming event, and not one Terrinoth product was being showcased by FFG. If they permanently drop any of these lines line due to it not selling well enough it will be their own fault. Crazy. As I've said before FFG seem good at releasing some titles then ditching bothering to promote them quite soon afterwards- I noted a few other publishers still promoting popular older releases, FFG seem happy to let some big titles slip out of the current public consciousness by failing to continue to put them out there.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon

Sadly I'm not really surprised to hear that.

I think FFG bet the future of the Terrinoth line on one card with the RWMG, and when it wasn't as successful as they hoped it would be, they decided to more or less shut down support for their Terrinoth games as a whole.

It's kind of ironic that their separation from games workshop lead to them practically killing their Terrinoth game lines, because they tried to enter a new market and failed. Whoever makes those decisions at FFG, good job.

It seems they only seem to care about supporting their "popular" 3rd party brands (LOTR, Star Wars, L5R) as well as their new cash cow Keyforge. Even their Arkham line isn't as active as it once was.

But if all these bad decisions eventually lead to the downfall of FFG so be it. One can only ignore their customers and passionate fans so long before they'll find something new.

If they don't care enough for a major line like Terrinoth and can't therefore make it work enough they should give it to another company who can. But it's so frustrating that they're not even taking it to major events at all, even one table demoing Heroes of Terrinoth would have been something (they can't take every FFG game I know but Asmodee's website had Terrinoth as one of their key core products, sadly that seems lamentably laughable of late.)

You need to keep putting your games in front of potential players....

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
t to T

I hope this is not the case. If it is, then, the game will live on through us, fans, creating new stuff.

But all saga has it ends. Engame closed a page of the MCU, now, is it time to close one for Terrinoth ?

Hail to the king, baby !

1 hour ago, rugal said:

I hope this is not the case. If it is, then, the game will live on through us, fans, creating new stuff.

But all saga has it ends. Engame closed a page of the MCU, now, is it time to close one for Terrinoth ?

Hail to the king, baby !

I'm beginning to think maybe FFG just aren't great at promoting stuff, so fans think stuff's dead that they're actually still working on :)

There's certainly a bit of a disjointed logic to their news/releases scheduling so you don't know where things are at, but then it's kinda fun having the mystery and the occasional curveball of unexpected new stuff!

8 hours ago, Watercolour Dragon said:

BUT no Terrinoth AT ALL, no Runewars Miniatures (they had the equivalent Star Wars ones so this adds to the ill portents for the game) and most surprisingly no Heroes of Terrinoth, no Genesys, no Genesys sourcebook (Realms of Terrinoth/Android) plugging. All quite recent products. Maybe FFG missed the class on publicity and brand awareness. In crowded markets things that aren't promoted get forgotten or missed altogether in the first place.

I was at Gencon50. Legacy of Dragonholt was still fairly new and they were still betting heavily on the success of Runewars. Therefore Legacy of Dragonholt wasn't present at all and while they had the Runewars tables there I couldn't actually get somebody to even explain the game to me. They really are that bad or at least they were...

Also big changes so it's completely plausible that a bunch of balls got dropped and picked back up and/or that decisions about the future of product lines has suddenly changed drastically

Yes, Petersen was the man. Without him, FFG is just a brand of Asmodee and Asmodee staff is ... The only nice thing is that I saved a lot of money in the last years.

Hopefully the Sadler's will reinvent HoT in a third istance with their new partner who seem to care more of good games 😉

Thought the same when we were there on the Friday.

Looking at the upcoming products the only Terrinoth I can see is Lost Legends and Chain that Rust reprint -which in itself is hopeful.

It comes out June 21st according to amazon!

Yes, it should. I can't wait.

If a game's not a mega-hit, FFG won't support it. Period.

Remember, Battlelore got around 500 online signatures on a petition to make the elf expansions, and nothing.

In general, FFG won't make expansions for gamese anymore. It's either 0 expansions or 100. You don't see games getting "some support here" like the old Civ board game, or Rune Age, or Runebound anymore.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:13 PM, Torkijo said:

and Chain that Rust reprint -which in itself is hopeful.

Indeed, if Chain's selling out still that's a good sign- I'd noticed this

Some UK suppliers don't seem to be replenishing sold out stock though, although they are carrying Lost Legends and core sets are still selling and being restocked.

I've got so much Terrinoth related stuff on the go it's no real biggie if there's a hiatus before any further developments :) :) :)