Movement, Speed

By guest17211, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

Hi could someone please tell me is there a movement or speed value in the star wars rpg game. Can you explain how it works and where in the core rulebook can you find that information.

This game uses narrative descriptions, so you don't have a speed value. You'll never be moving across a battle map, so speed is unnecessary. Movement is described using maneuvers in this game. They are covered in the Conflict and Combat chapter of each of the core books (FaD, 205; AoR, 213; EoE, 200).

Chase rules are used if you need to compare the movement rates of multiple beings.

Thanks Vek

You're welcome.

Vehicles do have speed values though, but this is more a measure of thrust and capability in relation to other vehicles than an actual measurement in kph or something. As such vehicles move in a modified version of people movement.

It's a bit wonky, but it works ok once you figure it out. I think a big talking point on this is to throw away the Battle map and instead think of it like a scene from a movie. Exact distances don't matter, only the ability for two things to interact.

Upside is it does allow weird things that happen in the films to still work and combat is essentially just a modified version of melee Combat. Downside is it can take a while to grasp wtf they were thinking, to the point in Genesys they essentially gave up and made vehicle movement work a bit different.

43 minutes ago, Ghostofman said:

It's a bit wonky, but it works ok once you figure it out.

And it (vehicular movement) works better once the developers figured out just how wonky it is and put the revised rules out as Genesys.

6 hours ago, Vek Baustrade said:

You'll   never be moving across a battle map, so speed is unnecessary. Movement i  s described using maneuvers in this game. They are covered in the Conflict and Combat chapter of each of the core books (FaD, 205; AoR, 213; EoE, 200).

Not necessarily true. I always use some form of battlemap to show relative distances between combatants.

Just know that characters can move anywhere within short range with one maneuver and make sure the size of your range bands reflect how many maneuvers it takes to go across the various range band increments. It makes movement very simple when you look at it this way.

Edited by AnomalousAuthor
35 minutes ago, HappyDaze said:

And it (vehicular movement) works better once the developers figured out just how wonky it is and put the revised rules out as Genesys.

All they really did was reduce the scale; forcing band movement by speed, and changing vehicle weapons to work more like Personal Scale.

For small simple encounters like RPGs typically have, this is more intuitive, if occasionally also more cumbersome.

59 minutes ago, AnomalousAuthor said:

Not necessarily true. I always use some form of battlemap to show relative differences between combatants.

Just know that characters can move anywhere within short range with one maneuver and make sure the size of your range bands reflect how many maneuvers it takes to go across the various range band increments. It makes movement very simple when you look at it this way.

Well, that's cool for your table. My point was that it's not standard issue for the game at large. I suspect it is an echo from playing other systems.

20 minutes ago, Vek Baustrade said:

Well, that's cool for your table. My point was that it's not standard issue for the game at large. I suspect it is an echo from playing other systems.

I don’t know about that. The beginner games all come with maps, so it’s not like it’s discouraged. And, I like visual aids. Trying to keep track of relative positioning in an encounter with more than a handful of adversaries and allies can be alot of work otherwise.

I also play exclusively online these days and having something pretty to look at helps to keep peoples attention when it’s not their turn.

Edited by AnomalousAuthor
26 minutes ago, Vek Baustrade said:

Yeah I use maps and such very sparsely because it tends to make players react from a perspective that isn't native to the character. If it gets down to counting squares and all that then I get bored fast. I also think that map play with set distances makes the turn-based feel more pronounced, which to me erodes the feel of action because in reality the enemy does not stand there on your turn and vice versa.

12 minutes ago, AnomalousAuthor said:

I don’t know about that. The beginner games all come with maps, so it’s not like it’s discouraged. And, I like visual aids. Trying to keep track of relative positioning in an encounter with more than a handful of adversaries and allies can be alot of work otherwise.

I also play exclusively online these days and having something pretty to look at helps to keep peoples attention when it’s not their turn.

I'm all for visual aids. A picture's worth a thousand words and all. I just don't use maps or minis for relative distances. I prefer to keep that aspect of the game descriptive and somewhat abstracted to keep up immersion and pacing.

2 hours ago, Vek Baustrade said:

I'm all for visual aids. A picture's worth a thousand words and all. I just don't use maps or minis for relative distances. I prefer to keep that aspect of the game descriptive and somewhat abstracted to keep up immersion and pacing.

And that’s what is so cool about this system. It’s built to accommodate every style of play.

For personal scale you back out a map based system with big "squares"/grid-cells... I've split digital maps into 17 by 11 sheets that I printed at office depot/max, maybe 10 by 10 squares would be better... the idea is one maneuver let's you move anywhere on the same sheet of paper which is short range, or lets you move one sheet over, if the sheet your on is sheet one, then the next sheet over is sheet 2. Sheets 2 and 3 are medium range, sheets 4 and 5 are long range, extreme range starts at sheet 6. I have a 33 by 55 inch coffee table so using 11 by 17 in sheets of paper extreme range was literally "off the table". That coffee table is currently in my garage because I have a toddler what might bang his head on it. The system I described works very well with minis, which is how we used it.

Edited by EliasWindrider