A Framework for Casual Skirmish

By mischraum.de, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

The joy of a customizable game is exploring the riddle which combination of cards, units etc. will be the most powerful. Baring a FAQ update this riddle for competitive skirmish in Imperial Assault seems to be pretty solved.

Still there are many more skirmish missions to be explored. What do you as an experienced player think if I randomly take a mission and have a Spectre Cell squad vs. another well-build squad what are the odds of that squad to pull of a victory?

I know there is the Continuity Project going on but I don’t want to apply to much changes to the cards like altering point costs on a larger scale. What I could imagine would be a Restricted List like FFG have in their Living Card Games. Instead of banning a card you put overpowered cards on the Restricted List. Every player can use only one of the cards on the Restricted List.

Spectre Cell, On The Lam and Take Initiative come to my mind. Which cards do you think should be there? Do you think this change makes Spectre Cell more beatable? Beatable enough to enjoy the game again?

My intent is also that all of my miniatures see play. Would be a handicap system a reasonable approach? Something like every player has to chose a handicap along the lines of „your squad must include Boba Fett“, „your squad must include Kayn Somos“, „your squad must include Biv Bodhrik“. Which units would qualify as a handicap in your opinion?