How many buffs for one test can I add?

By 1mikethebuilder1, in General Discussion

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how many cards can I use to buff a single test? Thanks

Awesome game!

9 hours ago, 1mikethebuilder1 said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but how many cards can I use to buff a single test? Thanks

Awesome game!

You can use as many items/weapons as you would like. However you only apply the highest bonus effect from among those. SO if you have one weapon with +1 and one with +3, you would only use the +3. But you can use re-rolls or other effects as permitted.

source does not matter - when you start putting dice in your cup - all +1, +1, +2, +5 go on a pile and all you have to do is to pick the highest one no matter where it came from and add it to the cup

then add all additional dice

apply the test modifier (0, -1, -2, +1 etc)

ISTR there may be a limitation on the number of [weapons] that can be used at any one time, can someone confirm one way or the other?

Example: against a single monster can I simultaneously use all of:

Weapon A, that gives +2 WILL, +1 STR

Weapon B, that gives +1 WILL, +1 STR

Weapon C, that gives +1 WILL, +1 STR, but a benefit if I defeat the monster

Edited by Roland Cooke
typo
On 6/13/2019 at 2:08 PM, Roland Cooke said:

ISTR there may be a limitation on the number of [weapons] that can be used at any one time, can someone confirm one way or the other?

Example: against a single monster can I simultaneously use all of:

Weapon A, that gives +2 WILL, +1 STR

Weapon B, that gives +1 WILL, +1 STR

Weapon C, that gives +1 WILL, +1 STR, but a benefit if I defeat the monster

Given that you are usually only using will or strength one step at a time then you don't have to worry about both at the same time.

If you check RR, page 12, under Frequently Asked Questions, Q3. You can use as many weapons during an encounter as you world like, but you only use the highest bonus modifier from one weapon. So if you had all three of the weapons you used you would be able to have a combat encounter with a +2 to WILL, a +1 to STR, and a benefit if a monster is defeated. You could also use other abilities like re-rolls even if they are not on the same weapon. In fact if your weapon B had a +1 WILL, +2 STR, then your combat encounter would be +2 WILL, +2 STR, and the benefit. The only thing you do not combine is the bonuses, you only get the highest bonus for each of the skills you are testing.

Edited by LordPyrex

I think you answered it anyway (you can indeed use all three weapons, just can't stack), but I fat-fingered my post above. Weapon B should of course have been +1 WILL, +2 STR. :)

No problem! Good luck stopping the end of the world!