Make believe harmful condition - targeted

By thinkbomb, in Imperial Assault Campaign

Been mulling this one over in relation to a homebrew campaign.

Basic jist is a harmful condition that's the inverse of hidden - Targeted. Ranged attacks against it gain +2acc, melee +1srg. Applied by new gear, units, heroes, etc. (Kinda like hidden being Davith's forceful entry)

What I haven't figured out is the condition removal terms. Like how weakened wears off after a turn, stun just happens, bleeding requires care, etc. - to the point, I haven't figured out thematically what would make sense for a unit who's being targeted ... to somehow get rid of this.

Again, this is more just shoot the breeze type stuff. But what do you think?

The condition for removal could be once they suffer damage from an attack.

That way it boosts just one attack, similar to Focused or Hidden.

IF the attack fails to do damage then they're still Targeted.

How would this get used in the game?

The imperial player would try to make a figure targeted, then Royal Guards go in and try to Stun the figure.

So, instead of adding a surge, I would suggest adding a negative evade (-1 pic2477036.png ).

Adding +2 Accuracy for ranged attacks sounds almost useless (unless the figure also has hidden).

10 hours ago, Majushi said:

The condition for removal could be once they suffer damage from an attack.

That way it boosts just one attack, similar to Focused or Hidden.

IF the attack fails to do damage then they're still Targeted.

This was one of the options I'd considered. The downside is that (as is) the debuff benefits are pretty minimal for a one-off. So a unit with this surge option would basically leave it bottom-of-the-barrel choice. Especially in light of Weakened. (again, this is more my own design flaw creating the issue)

Another option was having the targeted figure remove themselves from LoS of other figures ... which would be gnarly to calculate in the later stages of a mission when the imp is flooding the board with excessive troops.

8 hours ago, a1bert said:

How would this get used in the game?

The imperial player would try to make a figure targeted, then Royal Guards go in and try to Stun the figure.

So, instead of adding a surge, I would suggest adding a negative evade (-1 pic2477036.png ).

Adding +2 Accuracy for ranged attacks sounds almost useless (unless the figure also has hidden).

I did reply on BGG, I'm just gonna double-reply here for the sake of everyone else (i.e. not trying to double stamp or anything like that)

- yeah, -1 evade on melee is a lot more thematic, good call
- the notion of surge was to assist in tactical spacing. It's kinda conditional usage, but I've noticed a lot of times that imp-figures will get clumped as they're all trying to swarm in a radius of their optimal fire range. the intent is to give a tactical option to allow for better spacing. As well for catching rebels who are double running

After your commentary, about the only notion I was thinking is adding "friendly figures don't block line of sight" ... which is totally a huge swing for the empire and only benefits a handful of heroes (like mak and loku) ... but would make the debuff respectable. =shrug= idunno

Edited by thinkbomb

==edit: realised this iteration was garbage. I'll just shelve this for now.==

Thanks again all for feedback ... here's a 2nd attempt

mind you - still not ultra confident in it. But at least it's closer to viable...

Targeted
- When a hostile figure declares an attack targeting you, that attack gains +2 range and ignore figures when determining line of sight
- While defending apply -1 evade to the results

Discard this condition either when an attack targeting you fails to deal damage.
Or, discard this attack when hostile figures no longer have line of sight to you

It still feels clunky ... but I think it's just a revision away from ok.

Edited by thinkbomb

Doesn't Mak have that ability for 1 Strain?

As for the discard condition, if the target moves it could be removed. So either "perform a move" or "leave you space voluntarily".

Maybe make the evade conditional. So:

Targeted
- When a hostile figure declares an attack targeting you, that attack gains +2 range and ignore figures when determining line of sight
- While defending, if there is no figure in line of sight, apply -1 evade to the results

That way rebels could either move away OR if that figure cant move then move in between line of sight to negate the evade.

Edited by Rhellik
6 hours ago, Rhellik said:

Doesn't Mak have that ability for 1 Strain?

As for the discard condition, if the target moves it could be removed. So either "perform a move" or "leave you space voluntarily".

Maybe make the evade conditional. So:

Targeted
- While defending, if there is no figure in line of sight, apply -1 evade to the results

That way rebels could either move away OR if that figure cant move then move in between line of sight to negate the evade.

I really like that. It you baked in a lot of strategy/tactics around when to apply and whatnot. Thanks a ton. 😃

Also those same tactics would apply for the rebels if they had a gun-attachment and wanted to take down a key figure. That's always a plus.

Edited by thinkbomb