Hyperspace Trial Dresden, My first ever tournament

By Cpt.Kirk006, in X-Wing Battle Reports

First off a huge shout out to Dalli @Dalli the tournament organizer (Hyperspace Trial Dresden, Germany), you did a fabulous job the tournament ran smoothly you kept us all on time, the short breaks were great not to long not to short, coffee flat rate was a lifesaver and lunch was superb. Job well done.

To all the players you are a great community, friendly and fair.

@wurms @Force Majeure @ChahDresh @Des Darklighter @Greebwahn Like I said I would update you all on how I did at my first tournament ever and yes I know that the battle report sub forum is probably where this should be entered but I want to keep this on the same thread that I started.

So here it goes: I am about 45 minutes early and as others start to arrive and unpack their lists I can see a lot of Meta lists on the menu, main course was Rebel beef in various forms of abundance, quite a bit of Tie salad as a starter, and 5 or 6 scum and or rebel Falcon lists sprinkled in for dessert. A few empire and FO swarms were also present. So it was a total of 17 Rebel, 14 Empire, 6 Republic, 5 Scum, 3 FO, 2 Sep, and 1 Resistance list. I am a little worried as most of the lists had 4 plus ships in them that I could see and I am running only 3 ships:

T-65 X-wing - •Wedge Antilles - 69

•Wedge Antilles - Red Two(52)

Swarm Tactics (3)

Proton Torpedoes (12)

R4 Astromech (2)

Servomotor S-foils (Closed) (0)

T-65 X-wing - •Thane Kyrell - 63

•Thane Kyrell - Corona Four (48)

Marksmanship (1)

Proton Torpedoes (12)

R4 Astromech (2)

Servomotor S-foils (Closed) (0)

BTL-A4 Y-wing - •“Dutch” Vander - 62

•“Dutch” Vander - Gold Leader (39)

Ion Cannon Turret (43)

Shield Upgrade (4)

Proton Torpedoes (12)

R3 Astromech (3)

Total: 194

Off to the games:

Game 1: I draw Steffan “Steka” Last years 1.0 German Nationals Champ and rated in T3 as number 8 in the EU. Tough draw for my first ever tournament game. I have the Bid and make him first player. He is flying fat Han, Crack shot Wedge and Crack shot Jake. I played well and totally out flew Steka, his own words I drpped Wedge in the 1 st round of combat for only one shield to my Wedge. 2 nd round of combat and I drop Jake and I lose my Wedge due to return fire and bad green dice. The rest of the game is Han doing Han things and me making mistakes I should have a could have won this game Han re-rolls R2 etc is broken. What I learned is I need to learn to disengage and reengage. Ended up losing 169-90. Great game super friendly opponent.

Game 2: This time vs a Scum Han list with 2x grey sqd Y-wings with Ion and VTG. I have the Bid and make her first player. My approach is perfect Wedge and Dutch torp a Y and Thane follows up with a bullseye attack at r3 and uses ability to flip the final direct hit crit for the ini kill. The other Y and Han are out of range so no return fire. Next round see my removing the other y wing with a torp from Wedge and a R1 attack from Thane using ability again for great affect. Dutch drops a torp into Han for good effect causing the crit that makes hard turns more difficult. Next round I K turn Wedge Tallon roll Thane and hard two Dutch and target locks for Thane and Dutch. Kill box set. Opponent forgets about the crit and dialed a hard turn red in, as Han was stressed my opponent is forced to make the 2 straight off the board. Would not have made much of a difference as I would have popped Han this turn any way. Win 200-0 with 45 minutes still left to play.

Game 3: Vs the only opponent I faced that would end up placing higher than me in the tournament (he placed 11 th ). I have the Bid and make him first player. Vader. Marek and 2X bomber with barrage rockets. A lot of flying and janky stuff going on here from both sides as the approach for both of us for initial engagement is difficult. Needless to say no barrage rockets at my face happened but he used the bombers as effective blockers and out flew me to victory. I lose 200-74 with 9 minutes remaining to play.

Game 4: vs Hannover SOS #16 he is running Lando Norra Luke. I lose the bid and am first player. My mind is mush by now and I am frustrated with playing against my third Falcon list so I do not remember too much. Torps were stil effective as well as swarm tactics. I ended up killing Luke who did not get a single shot at my list through the first three round of combat. I half pointed Lando he killed Thane and Dutch while half pointing Wedge for the Win 160-106 at time.

I am now 1-3 and am just hopping that maybe I can break even for the day and also do not want to see another Falcon list for a long while. Sadly to say that would not be.

Game 4: Yippe what do I see yet another falcon list: Scum Han, Lando in the escape shuttle and an autopilot drone with fen Rau in the Mix also. ). I have the Bid and make him first player. My approach is superb getting shots at Han and putting crits in on the first round of combat with no return damage. Second round of combat sees the drone pooping out from the rear of the Falco and blowing up causing 1 dmg to each of my ships. I ini kill lando this round and Fenns r3 attack amounts to nothing. Next rnd I drop more shots into Han down to 1 hull and remove the shields and I dmg card to Fenn. For the loss of 3 shields on Dutch. Oppent concedes at this time with 40 minutes left to play. Win for me 200-0.

Game 5: Against Boba and Emmon 100 pts ea.). I have the Bid and make him first player. We both set up on the on the same board edge for the classic joust. 2 forward from Emmon and a 3 forward from Boba my ships move 3 forward no shots this round. Next rnd sees both Firespray’s K turning with me moving 1 forward with s-foils open. Dutch moves into R1 of Emmon locks Emmon providing a free lock to Thane who I Know will bump Boba. Thane bumps Boba and Wedge moves into R1 of Emmon and Boba. Dutch R1 shots on Emmon and Thanes Torp into Emmon puts the hurt on Emmon with good dmg to hull. Wedge drops three of Bobas shields and the return fire puts Wedge at 2 hull remaining. Next round sees Wedge eating a proxmine for 1 dmg thank you dice for not letting me down. There is also a Proton Bomb from Boba out there. We move again he moves both ships 1 forward and performs a 1 forward boost with Boba for some unknown reason. Dutch 1 forward and locks to him and Thane on Boba. Thane closes foils moves one forward and boost’s one forward to avoid the mine, Wedge 1 forward also with lock on Boba. Wedge gives swarm to Thane they both fire and Ini Kill Boba. Emmon fires at Wedge killing him. Dutch puts more dmg into Emmon. The next system phase Dutch eats a proxmine for two dmg. and Thane ini kills Emmon. Win for me 200-69 with 45 minutes left to play.

Wow I made 3-3 with an MOV of 1524 and placed 19 out of 48. Not too bad for my first ever tournament not to mention flying a non-meta list. Thanes ability was monstrous I also got marksmanship to proc every time I had a shot with Thane so better than crack shot. Dutch’s locks were great and swarm tactics was also very productive. I won the bid 5 out of 6 times. The games I won were over very fast, the games I lost were the long ones due to not enough beef in the list but mostly because I need to learn to better dis-engage and re-engage. For what I played against Thane was greater than Luke would have been. Selfless would not have served me. For the most part I flew well only one trick shot at me and I constantly flew in the asti fields. I did not fly over or land on a single obstruction in all 6 games. I played a Falcon ship 4 times 2x Han 2x Lando I now dislike that ship seen it to much in one day.

I hope you enjoyed the read. Looking forward to my next tournament. T3 nickname “Asmodeon”

And as always:

"Live long and" ......... Umm "May the force be with you".

Good read. You obviously have some skill--keep at it and you'll be top 8 before the summer is over!

@Force Majeure thanks for the vote of confidence. I have a bit of skill and good depth/distance perception which helps a lot. With a little luck I could crack top 8 or some other cut depending on format. But just as life it isn't all easy it is a lot of work. Lets see what the points change and the new wave bring to the table and the meta. Fly GUUUD.