Clan Letters inbound...

By Shiba Gunichi, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

46 minutes ago, Doji Hyōkin said:

Please ignore any references in the Scorpion letter to the movements of the Crane. Daidoji Uji is just going home for a rest. He's certainly not going to join Kuwanan in Otosan Uchi with a group of Harriers.

Look, look the Crane admitted to the existence of the Harriers the shame of it all, that they would countenance a group that operates in clear violation of Imperial Edict is evidence of how unsuitable they are to act as stewards of such an important treasure as Kushu. ;)

Not sure anybody sane would want that thing, to be honest... but since this is Rokugan, there is no Sanity Clause.

The Unicorn Letter:

Shahai. Yeah. That's gonna end well.

"Stay buddied up to the Crane the keep the Lion off of our backs"- Yeah, Altansarnai, sure be nice if you didn't have to worry on that front, wouldn't it? Although it's worth noting that the Phoenix, whose marriage to a high-ranking Lion did go through, still harbor concerns about showing any weakness that might tempt those guys, so... given Kisada's views on the bluebirds, be interesting to see what that does to the typically solid relations between the Crab and the Unicorn. Probably nothing serious, but all the same...

The Scorpion Letter:

Man, Kachiko, you really screwed things up, and boy does it show!

A Scorpion- especially her- warning someone about spies? Sounds like a fish complaining about getting wet.

Her whole "be ready for an act of desperation" thing is... well. Keep your eyes on the Reichstag, kids, it might just catch on fire...

2 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

The Scorpion Letter:

Man, Kachiko, you really screwed things up, and boy does it show!

A Scorpion- especially her- warning someone about spies? Sounds like a fish complaining about getting wet.

Her whole "be ready for an act of desperation" thing is... well. Keep your eyes on the Reichstag, kids, it might just catch on fire...

Also, she feels that Kunshu needs to be kept in a ward and out of Sotorii's hands. I mean, what are the odds that the weapon used to kill the Emperor as an act of patricide might be slightly cursed...

37 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Also, she feels that Kunshu needs to be kept in a ward and out of Sotorii's hands. I mean, what are the odds that the weapon used to kill the Emperor as an act of patricide might be slightly cursed...

As Akodo famously said "A sword which has drawn family blood cannot be revered." The Emperor was trying to tell Sotorii about the sword of real power in the room but Sotorii contracted a case of patricide and wouldn't listen.

1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

As Akodo famously said "A sword which has drawn family blood cannot be revered." The Emperor was trying to tell Sotorii about the sword of real power in the room but Sotorii contracted a case of patricide and wouldn't listen.

Ah the Yogo will take care of Kunshu well. :)

*watches Yogo Junzo-sama use Kunshu as a black scroll letter opener *

having grown old despite his years

Kachiko wut?

3 minutes ago, 987654321 said:

having grown old despite his years

Kachiko wut?

He died of natural causes. Naturally when he was stabbed by his son, he died.

6 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

That's not what I meant. How can someone be really old despite being really old?

30 minutes ago, 987654321 said:

That's not what I meant. How can someone be really old despite being really old?

"Having grown old" is code for "died of old age" aka natural causes.

7 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Tell that to old lore Hida Kisada, took a Kushu to the belly and still came back for more.

3 hours ago, 987654321 said:

I think it may be the other way round. The emperor was suffering the effects of being very old, despite not being that old.

That's.....actually an important question...now he's come down with a bad case of Natural Causes, who actually....

[goes off to read Imperial Gifts ]

"Before the Emperor’s coronation, the Seppun entrusts Kunshu into the care of a Great Clan, who guards the sword until the day of the Emperor’s ascension. They have the honor of presenting it to the newly crowned Son of Heaven"

Right. So presumably in the absence of an Emperor, it's the Seppun who do the choosing.

I know it's counter to my clan's wishes, but I kinda want the Crane to get Kunshu. It would make for some lively Crane fictions if they suddenly had to watch over a potentially cursed sword.

17 minutes ago, phillos said:

I know it's counter to my clan's wishes, but I kinda want the Crane to get Kunshu. It would make for some lively Crane fictions if they suddenly had to watch over a potentially cursed sword.

Everyone knows the Asahina make the best cursed swords anyway, so it's not like they lack experience.

11 hours ago, 987654321 said:

Clearly you don't have kids. Mine have Shuten Doji-d away my fire tokens a long time ago. I am but a feeble husk of the pre-children me.

10 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Tell that to old lore Hida Kisada, took a Kushu to the belly and still came back for more.

He also came down with a massive case of plot-dumbness and decided to stop being dead for a while.
If we start using Kisada as our yard stick, ain't nobody going to measure up to the levels of stupid and awesome.

1 hour ago, DarkHorse said:

He also came down with a massive case of plot-dumbness and decided to stop being dead for a while.
If we start using Kisada as our yard stick, ain't nobody going to measure up to the levels of stupid and awesome.

In fairness he started with that bad case of plot dumbness and getting stabbed cleared it right up.

I would agree that getting stabbed was the best thing that ever happened to Kisada. Totally turned that guy's life around.